Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
5-7 month old female has Joey's! Help!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2019
02:40:59 PM
Hello, as you can tell by the title I'm in a tricky situation :( I just bought a 5-7 month old female 2 days ago, so I just started putting her in a bonding pouch, and I noticed she had 2 big lumps in her pouch, so she's definitely carrying Joey's around in there, I was planning on breeding her(with lineage) with a 1.5 year old male(lineaged) in the future when she's about 16 months, but definitely not this soon! I've heard it makes bones fragile because the calcium goes to the Joey's? Will she be okay? She's big, for comparison I took out a neutered male and put them in seperate bonding pouches and looking at them both, and she's a bit bigger,(male is full grown at 1.6 years old) :(((((( Will she be okay? I know there's a really good chance she'll eat the Joey's, what do I do???? I don't have the time to hand-feed at the moment,( I do have the milk replacement and a good bottle for them though) so what do I do? Just let it happen? Will she be okay in the future? Will her bones snap easy in the future because of the lack of calcium whilst growling????? HELP!!!! What are the side effects of this?!?!?!? :((((((
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2019
08:55:15 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I dont do joeys so I dont have much info.

but Ohpw asks for a increase 1/4 cup of wombaroo to 1/2 cup in the
recipe for mothers.
critterlove.com has a breeders blend for mothers.

so these diets definitely adds to moms.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2019
11:44:19 PM
Adeebdee6964 Joey 19 Posts
I know:( I upped my homemade HPW(idk if it's OHPW, I think so?) To 1/2 a cup of the protein powder, I just don't know what to do about how young she is or if she'll get sick or what :(
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 04 2019
05:49:21 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
There's nothing you can do basically about her age, and no, she won't get sick out of it if she has sufficially nutritious food to cover both her and the joey's needs.
One litter will nto have much consequences, it's repeated breeding from a young age which is detrimental.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 04 2019
11:36:38 AM
Thank you! I was so worried ;;
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 04 2019
06:23:37 PM
You're welcome ;)
There's no guarantee she will raise the joeys, 1st time are often a fail (though not always), and even more considering that the father is not here to help. I would advise to do everything to keep her stress level the lowest possible, which means avoiding any introduction or big changes in her environment for the moment.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 04 2019
06:34:48 PM
Would it help if I introduced a neutered male to her before the Joey's are OOP?(about 1 month I think) I've heard in some cases, they can help momma out?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 09 2019
04:14:28 AM
there's no rule, sometimes it can help, but it can also be stressfull and have the opposite effect...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders