Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New baby biting :(
Question
Jul 04 2019
12:19:33 PM
I recently got a male sugar glider 1.5-2 years old, not neutered, lineaged, that I plan to breed down the road, with another lineaged baby. I've owned gliders about 5 years and have bred roughly 3, all lineaged, bred responsibly, and sent out to their forever homes :) I even still contact the people who bought them for updates.

Back to the topic, this male, super friendly, he was on the OHPW diet and I feed all my gliders that diet so it was a perfect match! :) he's a little Leucistic baby and I love him, I've had him about 4 days now, so I started putting him in a bonding pouch. Thing is, I can pet him and everything when he first wakes up for like 20 minutes, and he likes it, but then he starts waking up and he'll go up to my finger and bite it. #128557; Sometimes he'll just open his mouth and put it around my finger and just sit there for a sec, when he starts applying to much pressure to where it hurts I make a quick TSST sound to say, "hey, that hurts!" But it makes him bite harder the more I do it :((( he's not afraid of fingers, it's not the soap or anything like that that. Any clue what he's doing?? He's not afraid of my hand or anything, he never crabs, he climbs into the bonding pouch when I put it near where he's sleeping, and he's eating well. He's never drawn blood or broken skin, but it really hurts when he bites so I always pull my hand away and "TSST" at him, but that stopped working so I blew in his face once when he bit especially hard for like, a second :(( he didn't like it and went to the back of the pouch and I felt really guilty so I don't want to do that again.

Any tips? I need help, will this behavior stop when we're bonded?
Question
Jul 04 2019
05:42:46 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I think giving the new glider a few weeks to get used to his new home and
all the new smells would be a good start.
Second idea, I don't let my gliders bite me if I think they are going to
bite me. the last new glider we had, connor, was very scared and crabby, came from
an uncaring home. I slowly feed him mealworms from a plastic plate. Let him
smell me, but NOT bite. after awhile I moved to petting him while he was busy
eating. then feeding him with my fingers, and letting him climb on my arm for
the treats. I didn't pick him up much, i let him crawl on me, and I think
he never bit me.
Question
Jul 04 2019
07:35:20 PM
Adeebdee6964 Joey 19 Posts
Alright, thanks for the advice :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip