Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Best cage? (Debating between two)
Question
Jul 27 2019
10:07:22 PM
Hello, this is my first time posting here! I’m planning on getting 2 sugar gliders in a few months, so I am currently purchasing proper accessories and care items for them. However, I’m faced with a slight problem: a cage.

I found two different cages that I am interested in buying for the sugar gliders, but many of the reviews are mixed. Even though they have good ratings, I’d rather be safe than sorry. Here are the two cages: www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-485-Products-Hammertone/dp/B000QFMYWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=two+level+cage&qid=1564282440&s=gateway&sr=8-1 ( I know there are levels to this cage but I would plan on removing them) and this cage: www.amazon.com/ZENY-Construction-Cockatiel-Cockatoo-Parakeet/dp/B075R7NGGK (I would remove bird perches)

I know both cages have their pros and cons, I want to see what experienced sugar glider owners would recommend for me to do. I’d really appreciate feedback, thank you! :)
Question
Jul 28 2019
12:23:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
cage 1 has 7/8 inch bar spacing. your glider will probably squeeze out and
have free roam around the room and house. it is a ferret cage.
1/2 inch bar spacing is about max allowed.

cage 2 is a bird cage. four feeder doors in not the best. bottom floor
look movable, if gliders move it they might be able to escape.

I suggest you stick with sugar glider cages.
Question
Jul 28 2019
01:13:04 PM
Strawberrymochi Starting Member 4 Posts
Oh okay, I thought it would be okay for the sugar gliders because there is a lot of space in the cages. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could get a proper sugar glider cage?
Question
Jul 29 2019
04:08:47 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Strawberrymochi

Oh okay, I thought it would be okay for the sugar gliders because there is a lot of space in the cages. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could get a proper sugar glider cage?

my favorite, got 5 of them, amazon.com critternation double or same cage
at petsmart as all things living glider cage. love the size, doors, and so
far just small amount of rust as they age. also love they are expandable.
I have 3 cages put together, never had an escape.

next is the madagascar, congo and brisbane, good cages of different sizes.
many nice features, only negative for me is door is small and makes it harder
for unbonded gliders to get caught. but once bonded glider will come to you. also brisbane door needed to be removed to get glider wheel in and out.

those are the cages I know about. all build with gliders in mind.

I got mine when on sale about $175 each, then made my cage bigger so
I could house 6 gliders.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Jul 29 2019 04:09:43 AM
Question
Aug 02 2019
08:03:51 AM
Strawberrymochi Starting Member 4 Posts
Oh okay, critter nation, I’ll have to write that down. Thank you for helping me out I appreciate it! :D
Question
Aug 19 2019
08:44:45 PM
Cjwilcox Starting Member Visit Cjwilcox's Photo Album 5 Posts

Above is the link to a pic of my cage. It’s home made but very safe.
Question
Aug 24 2019
02:40:23 PM
ChipandDalesMom Joey Visit ChipandDalesMom's Photo Album 32 Posts
I bought a DCN (Double Critter Nation) when they went on sale to house my rescued female colony of 5 and I will say that it is the best cage ever and will be buying another one for my colony of 3 boys soon !! The boys are in a Madagascar cage which is also awesome but I want them to have a mansion like the girls ! I can honestly see them in these cages forever and just adding on to make bigger cages! These girls had not been cared for properly and barely had any toys so they weren’t used to them. Since moving them to the DCN they are playful and happy and are bonding to me even quicker now. My husband said that they act like gliders now whereas before they were just existing. It’s Worth every penny but if you cant swing it right now then you may look into a Madagascar, Congo, or Brisbane. They all can be bought from Exotic Nutrition.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders