GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
No male, possibly rejected joey
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Dec 12 2019
05:29:35 PM
Hi all!

About 2 weeks ago (Nov 28), we purchased two female gliders. One died a few days later and we got 2 more (one neutered male, Wizard, and a female, Toffee). Toffee and Wizard have not been introduced to the glider we had originally (Yzma) because we had suspected that she had joeys ip that we didn't know about when buying. Today is the joey's first day oop, and we hadn't purchased the father so it's just the baby's mom, Yzma. We noticed that Yzma will briefly tend to the baby (rubbing the stomach and all) but moves around when the joey tries to feed and we have had to hand feed.

Yzma doesn't seem aggressive, but earlier we found the baby on top of her cage (which is weird b/c she was in the cage???), Yzma was frantic so we opened the door. She hardly acknowledged the joey and ran into a closet and disappeared for 3 hours while the joey cried. We tried to coax mom up there to grab the baby to no avail. We picked the joey up and she was slightly dehydrated.

She doesn't mind us handling the baby, and sleeps really hard and doesn't acknowledge the baby when she's sleeping. When she's awake, Yzma will go and rub the baby's stomach and run off again. It seems that the baby has been trying to nurse. She shouldn't be low on protein, she's been eating and chicken since we got her, as she's picky and that's all we could get her to eat!

We don't have any experience raising babies, as all of ours have been at least 10 weeks old. Not sure what to do, but we're getting really desperate. We've had the baby out of the room where her mom is, sitting in a pouch with a heating pad and occasional feedings (Pedialyte, apple juice, Esbilac) about once an hour. Is there anything that we can do to get mom to actually care for baby? We've done a ton of research but the issue is that we don't have dad and don't want Wizard to harm baby.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 14 2020
07:28:07 PM
Ruthue12340 Starting Member 8 Posts
I know is been some time how did the baby do? Sorry I found this late I have some experience with babys gliders and am wondering how it was...
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 14 2020
10:26:05 PM
jayla021104 Starting Member Visit jayla021104's Photo Album 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Ruthue12340

I know is been some time how did the baby do? Sorry I found this late I have some experience with babys gliders and am wondering how it was...

Hi!

We weren't expecting her to make it, honestly, but she's perfectly healthy! She's 18 weeks as of yesterday, and we named her Lilo. Lilo's gotten really curious and quick, so we've had some incidents where we've spent hours coaxing her out of our couch. Her mom eventually took her back after a day or so, so maybe that was just stress. Anyways, they now share a cage, but we did find them separate yesterday. She developed pretty fast, not size wise, though she was (and still is) really intelligent and based on the research that we did, was picking up habits 2 weeks ahead of her curve (she opened her eyes December 19th, so we decided that her birthday was December 9th).

She went through a brief phase where no matter what her mom (Yzma) would do, she'd start screaming relentlessly.

Lilo's a terribly picky eater, but we found when she was around 6 weeks that she likes grapes (although not at all mangoes, pineapples, boiled eggs, cheerios, strawberries, anything that resembles them). Other than that, she's a chewer, bites on occasion, but she's a sweetheart. Here are some of the photos I got as she got older, but I don't have any super recent ones as she never sits still:

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders