Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
leftover glider food ;-)
leftover glider food ;-)
Funny
Jan 26 2020
08:52:59 AM
OK, so the little ones don't always finish their food at night... so, you take it out in the morning and do what with it?

Well, the treats that they don't eat, or don't eat fully (like partially eaten) I'll usually just gobble down myself, heh, heh...

Half-eaten blueberries, kiwi fruit left over, applesauce, farmer cheese and fruit topping mix, farmer cheesed eggs, etc. are still 'good' and quite tasty ~ question is, can I get sick (other than in the head )by eating after these critters? It's not 'too old' and full of bacteria yet, so why not?

Also, I do find myself licking my fingers while making up their stuff in the evening (especially the HPW, the honey I add to the pellets, etc) - just hope this won't make me sick (except in the head )

Sometimes I'm so goofy
Funny
Feb 08 2020
03:24:13 PM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
NEW DISCOVERY

Red Romaine lettuce versus regular Romaine lettuce - looks the same, taste the same (to me), but apparently Sugar Gliders can tell the difference. For two weeks they've been leaving the Red Romaine alone - wouldn't touch it... after just giving the rest to my dwarf rabbit (who like me can't tell any difference), I got some regular Romaine lettuce ~ they're back to munching hungrily on the stuff!

Guess their pallet is more discriminatory than mine (or my rabbit).

No more nasty wilted leftover lettuce in the morning (which I would leave alone too - no snackin' on leftovers there for me, heh, heh...)
Funny
Feb 11 2020
06:17:18 PM
What's with Sugar Gliders and apples? I've tried slices of fresh apples, dried apple chunks, even apple sauce - all three of my Sugar Glider turn their noses up on apples in any form. Even with the new exotic nutrition Instant HPW with honey and fruit (Apple Pomace is the only 'fruit' in the thing), they turn their noses up at unless I liberally lace it with cranberry sauce with berries.

Did experiment - put out bowl of the instant HPW w/honey&fruit and bowl of just the cranberry sauce w/berries - they didn't touch the HPW but licked the cranberry bowl clean. Next night combined the two w/liberal amount of cranberry and they pigged out on it.

Didn't have this problem with their instant HPW with honey and berries (that they've discontinued... sheesh!), just with this new stuff. I have to cover the apple taste with cranberry sauce with berries...

...of course the nights I put out the apple slices, apple chunks, and apple sauce gave me a nice snack in the morning, heh, heh
Funny
Feb 14 2020
09:02:41 AM
Interesting Note:

Although my three Sugar Gliders turn their noses up at fresh apples, dried apple chunks, and even apple sauce ... they seem to LOVE the "not made from concentrate" juice pressed from HoneyCrisp apples - simply lick the bowl clean!

...and yes, they don't leave any for me in the morning (am I disgusting or what!)

This "not made from concentrate" juice pressed from HoneyCrisp apples is not the typical apple juice made by cooking apples and straining it to get the juice (typically a clear golden liquid), but a cloudy looking light brown pulpy colored liquid - very tasty too...

Edited by - BatGirl on Feb 14 2020 09:12:23 AM
Funny
Feb 16 2020
08:31:08 AM
OK - so occasionally I put out a fruit salad for them as something different... fresh sliced/diced strawberries, dewberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, and I'll try to hide some fresh sliced/diced apples in hope they'll not notice it and eat some and gain a taste for them... nope, every diced slice is left behind for me! Once ya rinse their spittle off, the leftover fruit is a nice treat - payment to me for treating them with such a nice flavorful dish? More likely I just put out so much on purpose so that there'll be some scraps left for me to treat myself, heh, heh
Funny
Feb 17 2020
12:46:39 PM
SillySuggies Joey Visit SillySuggies's Photo Album 43 Posts
i wouldnt recommend eating their leftovers
most diets have vitamins made for reptiles or specifically for gliders, depending on what you use
also i have found that gliders like to poop/pee whereever they are, even if it means in their food

you could probably use it for plants if you throw it outside (im not certain on this one, but maybe it would help) or maybe you could throw it outside and let it decompose, or even use it as compost if you are worried about the leftovers
i usually just throw the leftovers out and wash their dishes, but im sure you could use them for something if you want
Funny
Mar 15 2020
11:23:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SillySuggies

i wouldnt recommend eating their leftovers
most...

ROGER! I wouldn't touch their HPW (ends up a total mess) or their Complete Pellets (which contain meat and I'm a vegetarian...) ~ I'm talking about the treat stuff (apples, grapes, blueberries, the yogurt mix, etc)

Here's the before and after pictures of their HPW/Pellet mix (with honey, fresh veggies [carrots, peas, green beans, and corn], cranberry sauce [w/whole berries], and blackberries):

the before photo of their food bowl

the after photo of their food bowl

Apparently - they REALLY like it!!!

leftover glider food ;-)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
leftover glider food ;-)