Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Death
Sugar Glider Death
Health related
Feb 06 2020
07:41:29 PM
Hello! I have owned two sugar gliders for two years. I got them from The Pet Glider and feed them The Pet Glider diet. One morning, I found one of my suggies dead in their cage. The other one was still alive and had actually eaten a bit of her. They had access to food and water. The water bottle was not jammed or anything. I have no idea what happened. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really heartbroken. I already have plans to get more sugar gliders, because the surviving suggie seems really sad and lonely. Thank you for the help.
Health related
Feb 06 2020
07:45:36 PM
vanillaveinz Starting Member 3 Posts
Both of them were active and seemed healthy until the one died. They ran in their wheel, played together, etc. Now, the surviving one only comes out to eat. She hasn't been very active. I can only assume she's sad.
Health related
Feb 07 2020
12:36:57 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.
It's really difficult to guess what happened, it could be a disease (gliders are known to hide their symptoms) or an accident (a bad fall for example).
It is not uncommon for gliders to eat the dead members of their colony in order to try to hide them to not attract predators.
I'd suggest to have the surviving one checked by a vet if possible to make sure there is no disease before introducing new gliders.
In the meantime, try to keep your glider stimulated, bring more toys and try to interract with the lonely one as much as possible.
Health related
Feb 07 2020
10:03:58 PM
vanillaveinz Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by sjusovare

I'm so sorry for your loss.
It's really difficult to guess what happened, it could be a disease (gliders are known to hide their symptoms) or an accident (a bad fall for example).
It is not uncommon for gliders to eat the dead members of their colony in order to try to hide them to not attract predators.
I'd suggest to have the surviving one checked by a vet if possible to make sure there is no disease before introducing new gliders.
In the meantime, try to keep your glider stimulated, bring more toys and try to interract with the lonely one as much as possible.

Thank you. I've had the lonely one in a pouch most of the day with me and played with her a few hours every night at least. I live 30 minutes from The Pet Glider and they say they have an excellent vet. If it isn't too much, we'll probably take her wherever they go. It's been a few days since the other one passed, and she still looks alright. I hope she's not active because she's sad and soon we can fix that. Thank you for the advice.
Sugar Glider Death

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Death