Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help keef and kusha get along
Question
Feb 21 2020
11:16:49 AM
Hi, I have 2 sugar gliders one male and one female. The male I’ve had for about 2 months and my girl about a month. I’m well bonded with my boy (keef) I can go into his pouch pet him , pick him up, and rub on him . He’s very sweet. But the girl isn’t nearly as well bonded. She will not let me touch her or go into her pouch while she’s in there. Well here’s the main problem, they don’t seem to like each other. Kusha the girl seems to be scared of keef. They don’t ever sleep together and we try to keep them in the same cage but at night when we fall asleep I have to twake and and move one to a smaller cage I have which I feel bad about cause it’s pretty small. So I have another cage ordered so they can have there own cages but I would really like them to get along. Is there a reason you think she could be acting this way. Keef I’ve seen biting at her tail when he has a chance. Like he won’t chase her around at all, sometimes kusha is just walking by to close and he will go nip at it. Oh and keef isn’t neutered. There both young keef about a year and a half and kusha a little less than a year old. Keef even though he bites at her tail doesn’t seem to really mean to be aggressive more curious. I’ll put there pouches next to each other and lift them up so they can see and keef will walk over slowly kinda peak his head in her pouch and smell it but right when he puts his head in her pouch she will start crabbing and throwing a fit.
Question
Feb 21 2020
05:56:42 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
crabbing is normal, they are scared, they are trying to chase away what is
scaring them. so they crab, like a dog barks. its a good thing, I still have
one of my 6 gliders that still crabs.

putting gliders together it is HIGHLY suggested you follow an introduction
guide and get them used to each others scent. gliders are territorial and need
time to adjust to a new glider sometimes. kind of like if someone just jumped
into your bed, most likely it would make you nervous.

I've also read a sick glider can get chased around and nipped on the tail.
you should have had a vet visit to make sure they are all healthy and no parasites.

once you get them scent trained and they live in same cage it is usually suggested
to not separate them unless they fight.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders