Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Can Two Un-Neutered Males Get Along?
Question
Mar 25 2020
06:38:41 PM
Hello, hoping for some insight. Sorry if its long...

Backstory: I have two unaltered male Gliders.
1st male, bought alone. He had been alone in his two past homes. Had him for a year when I bought a 6 mo. old male Joey in need of home, never been handled. Kept them in separate cages side by side for another year while I slowly tamed the Joey, slowly mixing their scents along the way.

I put them in a neutral cage, with two freshly washed pouches. The younger one instantly started licking and rubbing on the older male, while he just sniffed and allowed it, then later rubbed back.
They ate together, slept in the same pouch (they refuse to use separate ones)..then later that night started crabbing, hissing and smacking a little on and off, then move on like normal. They do this in and out of pouch. (no balling up or rolling around).
The older male sometimes humps the younger one, they fuss a little and move on. Pretty sure the older one is just trying to assert dominance. Older boy sometimes chases the other just to grab and smell him. I separate them when I go to bed (I stay up really late), but they're together all day and evening, everyday.

My Question: Is this normal? Can/are they actually getting along or will this eventually turn into a real right? Will the crabbing, smacking stop or should I just keep them separate? Younger one seems to stress when he's not with the other. I appreciate any guidance or advice. Thanks!!!
Question
Mar 26 2020
01:38:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I cant remember 100% but I thought I read that two unaltered males together is
a bad idea. but that could be with a female around.
these forums are pretty slow, I would ask around to get more answers.
I have 3 females and 3 fixed males together, one of the males gets pretty bossy
at times, specially during meal worm time.
Question
Mar 26 2020
11:34:15 AM
BrittM91 Starting Member 4 Posts
Thanks. So far, ive heard yes and no. lol. Is the behavior i described normal with gliders who do get along? Or do they pretty much not usually bicker?
Question
Mar 26 2020
01:47:16 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
my gliders like to food steal and that can cause some attitudes.
Riggs is a problem cause for some reason he is fat and has trouble getting corn
out of the bowl, so he tries to steal the corn from others, causing a noisy
skirmish. corn is the best, and in limited supply in OHPW diet.
Gus is the alpha, or at least acts like it, so after some treats or during
treats if someone gets to close to him he gets very upset. He will click his
teeth together then go after them, never had a short fight end in anyone getting
hurt, but they both make plenty of noise. Then during glider time he will chase
some of the other gliders some, nip at the tail, after a few chases he settles down
and everything gets peaceful again.
the other 5 gliders get along real well with usually NO fights (unless food
is being stolen) and gus is very friendly outside of his chase time and live
meal worm attitude.
Question
Mar 27 2020
10:28:09 AM
Well, thank you. At least i know that its not abnormal behavior with gliders who do get along. Im looking into neutering at least one of them. If i can find a good exotic vet in my area, with glider experience.
Question
Mar 30 2020
03:42:34 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
The short answer is they can get along...

The long answer is "IF"..
*if they are introduced properly
*if they accept each others
*if there is no female around
*if dominance is asserted easily
*if none of them becomes ill (in which case dominance dynamic will be skewed)
*if there is no established territory...

Also they can get along for a while and then suddenly not get along anymore....
But all those are also true with "regular" colonies, with only females groups, and with neutered males groups... you just have to be extra careful with males because of their territorial behavior.

Edited by - sjusovare on Mar 30 2020 03:46:28 PM
Question
Mar 31 2020
02:26:18 PM
Thank you as well. This you both pretty much gave me the answers i was looking for. I appreciate it. Im pretty sure i did well with how i introduced them and i do think they are getting along ok and that will get better. If not, no issues keeping them seperated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders