Sugar Gliders
New cage?
New cage?
Question
Apr 19 2020
09:43:45 AM
Hello!
Just wondering what your perspective is on this topic:

My 3 sugar gliders have been in their hex cage since I got them. I hate that cage, and it's just getting so old, dirty, etc.

Should I:

-clean the heck out of that cage and keep them in it because it has always been their home.

Or

-buy a new cage- probably a Madagascar cage, which would be smaller. Maybe I could get a Brisbane but one of my gliders is very sick with cancer so I anticipate she may pass, then there would only be two gliders anyway (I know, it's terribly heart breaking).

I guess I'm wondering if it would be traumatic for them to switch to a smaller cage.

Thanks!

I hope you're all doing well and hanging in there with everything that's going on.
Question
May 08 2020
10:24:33 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Hi there,

I was just scrolling through messages and saw yours. I didn’t see any replies so I just wanted to check in and see how you’re doing. I also saw that one of your gliders passed and I’m so sorry to hear that. I lost my first glider a few years ago and know how devastating it can be.

Generally, the rule of thumb is to get the biggest cage you can afford and have room for. Gliders love to jump and climb, and of course glide. Regardless of size, it’s a good idea to have a safe exercise wheel for them to run on. It sounds like your hex cage is quite large, and while I wouldn’t normally suggest downsizing, both the Madagascar and Brisbane cages are great for 2 - 3 gliders. If I had to choose I’d probably go for the Madagascar which has slightly more interior room than the Brisbane. While it’s not as wide as the Brisbane it is much taller which I’ve heard is better for sugar gliders. As you probably know, the bar spacing should be no more than 1/2 inch. Cleanliness is very important and if your hex cage is showing signs of rust or other wear and tear then it would be best to upgrade. One thing that will really help the transition process is to keep things that are familiar to them, like pouches, toys, wheels, etc.

Best of luck and take care!

Kristin
Question
May 09 2020
06:07:34 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Thanks for sharing your advice!

I'm still not sure if it will be traumatic to have them switch cages after all these years. I know the hex cage is better in a way because it's much bigger. But it's old and has some rust spots (which I can cover with fleece at least). And I hate that cage lol.

But thank you! I just like to get other people's perspective.
New cage?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New cage?