Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New time sugar owner! help?
Question
Jun 29 2020
11:42:32 PM
Hi! New time sugar owner here! My boyfriend and I have two babies, Honey and Sweetie, just about 4 years old..

I was wondering if it would be possible to adjust their sleeping schedule? They seem to wake up around 1am and go to sleep for 12-1pm-ish. My boyfriend and I make sure to keep the blind open to say can see the difference between day/night time but its not quite working.

They don’t even wake up when I feed them which is around 10:30-11pm-ish. Come to think of it, they don’t seem to be eating much either. I feed them a mixture of fruits and veggies with hpw, and meal worms.

Any tips? We’ve only had them for just about a week now. I don’t think the bonding is going so great either. Honey is a very shy and timid, a glider who prefers so hide in the corner or the cage or in her pouch and only comes out when no one is around, not to mention she crabs A LOT. Sweetie is very happy and energetic, always out and about and loves to venture out in our bedroom and always looking to be out the cage. We’re trying to get Sweetie it bond to my boyfriend and Honey bond to me but its kinda of difficult when Homey hides and Sweetie is the only one showing her presence.

Anyways, enough with the long chat, of you have ANY tips or whatever, I will take them all! Thank you in advance!
Question
Jun 30 2020
03:26:36 AM
NRose Starting Member 1 Posts
Hi! I just like to share my experience and hopefully might be helpful for you. Two of my suggies I’ve had for about three months now and both are about five months old. Nooki was very shy and timid too and Grumpy was really aggressive. I have a tent that I would use to bond with my sugar gliders so at night when they are active, I would get into the tent with them and just hang around inside. Took two nights for them to bond with my other suggy, Cloud, and three nights for them to get used to my presence. I try to feed them when I’m in the tent with them. I try giving them treats like yogurt drops, mealworms or honey. Took about two months to finally get them bonded to me and now Nooki is really energetic and mischievous whereas Grumpy is really affectionate towards me.

Sleeping schedule wise, I’m not sure but I think it’s easier if once you’ve bonded well with them. Cloud has no exact sleeping schedule. Nooki and Grumpy used to be awake around 10-11pm and would sleep around 6am but since I’m not exactly a night person, it was hard to stay up to play with them. So now playtime became 6-7am and I’ll put them back in the cage around 11am or 12pm just so they would go to sleep #128517;

Technically just takes a lot of patience with them but once bonded the effort is just so worth it #129392;
Question
Jun 30 2020
05:16:12 AM
Petarus brevicapus fan Joey Petarus brevicapus fan's Journal Norway 22 Posts
Hi!

I'm not experienced, but I have some tips anyway.

1. It seems that music can have positive effects on sugar gliders. I've read somewhere in the chat here that it actually makes gliders(some, anyway) stop crabbing! Not forever, just when the music is being played, IF I got it right. The chat is called "music doth savage the beast" or something of that sort. I have this non-tested thery that maybe if music starts playing right when they land on you, come whitin a spesific distance of you or something else of that sort, they will be reasured and connect soothing music with you.Maube you can find their favourite music? Like maybe celtic harp music is their fave? Or jazz?

MAKE SURE THE MUSIC IS'NT TO LOUD FOR THEM! (If you decide this is a good tip you want to try and try it, anyway)

2.TREATS!

3.Give them an old rag of clothing that still smells of you, maybe even make it into a pouch!

4. I've seen videos who reccomend wearing them on you in a bonding pouch a lot evey day, so they smell your scent while happily resting somwhere cozy that happens to be on you and therefore smell of you.

Sorry, but I have'nt the foggiest clue about changing sleap patterns in gliders.

AND; note I am NOT a suggie-owner, and have never been one, since they are illegal here. So sad. I want some!!!! But anyway, all these tips are from experience with other animals and, most of all, lots and lots of research, but not experience.

Good luck with your sweeties!
Question
Jun 30 2020
09:54:06 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
O my, one week, gonna probably take a LOT longer then that, you need to be
ready for the long haul. MONTHS, that scared one will be probably be a difficult
one and need lots of TIME AND PATIENCE. even then she may not bond to humans in
the end, but you should get her to take treats and not bite at the worse case.

Food. when switching over to OHPW with fruits and veggies my new gliders take up
to 2 months to eat ALL of it. usually will just start eating one item at a time
until they try it all and start eating it all.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders