Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider biting for no visible reason
Behavior
Jul 28 2020
04:55:18 AM
Hi there! I really need your help cause I’m desperate. My favorite sugar baby Rick is 3 months old and has been living with me for 2 months now. I know you’re supposed to get at least two of them and I will eventually, but he seems really happy with me, we spend a lot of time together in the bonding pouch and walk in a glider proof room at least every other day. We bonded pretty quickly, he never crabs at me, he lets me pet him and he even seems to enjoy it (I’m not sure gliders even like it haha), he licks me and spends a lot of time on me during our night “walks” even though the room is pretty large. He always looks out of his pouch when I open the cage to see if I brought treats (and I always do).

So, he is the sweetest little boy and I love him dearly, but there is one thing I cannot seem to get rid of which is his constant biting. He is ALWAYS biting on my fingers, toes and nails (or other body parts but that's pretty rare), he doesn’t crab though, he doesn’t seem to be stressed or terrified. I never move or pull back when he bites me so he should know it’s not something that scares me. He also bites while I'm sitting on the floor during his out of the cage playtime, not trying to push him to stay on me or anything. He jumps all over me, plays with my hair and my clothes, licks me, lets me pet him and kiss him, and then when he sees my fingers/toes/nails he jumps right to them and starts biting them. He doesn’t show any aggression when biting, it looks like he’s trying to play with me.

I read they only bite out of fear or when they want you to stop doing something they don’t like. Since the first one cannot be the case (he’s not crabbing or trying to get away), I’m left with him not liking what I do... which must be everything I do. I’m trying to end it cause it really hurts and my fingers even bleed sometimes. Can it be because he is a baby trying to study the world around him? Or maybe this is his way of playing with me? What can I do to find out? Any help is appreciated.

PS. Don't be harsh on my English, it's not my first language :)

Behavior
Jul 28 2020
08:27:04 AM
Petarus brevicapus fan Joey Petarus brevicapus fan's Journal Norway 22 Posts

Maybe you should put something on your fingers, toes and nails that is not unhealthy for him but that he does not like? I'm not sure what that would be, but if you can think of something it might be worth trying.. It can often be helpful when creatures go chewing on walls and cages and all that, so it would only be logical if it helped this problem to, as long as there is'nt something you do that makes him feel threathened, and out from what you write I do not think so.

Your english seemed pretty fine to me, at least here!

Good luck!

Behavior
Jul 28 2020
12:10:05 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
3 months old you say? No worries, it's just their phase "I test the world with my teeth", it will pass after a while.
Each time he bites, just make a loud "psst" sound to let him know you don't like that.

Edited by - sjusovare on Jul 28 2020 12:12:29 PM
Behavior
Jul 29 2020
04:27:00 AM
christinehesher Starting Member Visit christinehesher's Photo Album 4 Posts
Thank you very much guys! I feel so relieved now!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders