Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Opinions on new environment for sugar gliders
Question
Aug 03 2020
01:29:01 PM
I’m wanting to get some opinions. I have two neutered male sugar gliders, both seniors at eight years old. One can be petted, but does not particularly like to be held. His buddy has always been crabby since I adopted him at 1.5 yrs old and is almost fearful of people. They live in a large cage with toys, which they do not seem to play with, and a wheel, which they enjoy running on. The question is this: if they were to be relocated to a new environment, would a colony work well for these guys? I realize individual personalities are a factor, but is this even a possible scenario?
Question
Aug 07 2020
08:06:42 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
most of the gliders we introduced liked having more gliders around, up in the 8 to 10 glider range it seemed to get harder, some not always fitting in. I downsized to 6 in our colony. then tried to go for 8, but my alpha male was having none of
it, both tries at introductions after long scent training he started fights. he
wanted no more "friends."
you can never tell for sure what will happen at introductions, I had a feeling
gus would not like anymore additions, he can be very bossy to others in the colony
during treat time, so I felt added to more wouldnt work. but smaller numbers and
low key gliders usually like more gliders in the colony. I think if given a very
large cage 10 to a colony is about max. but you have to be careful because in the
wild gliders that are unhappy can leave the colony, in a cage they can only fight.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders