Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tips for bonding with adult Gliders
Question
Feb 23 2021
03:45:58 PM
Hi everyone! I’m new to the site, but I’m looking to get some advice for bonding.
So a little bit of backstory: I have had my two babies (one boy and one girl) for about three weeks now. They are both 4 years old and we’re previously bonded together. Since I first got them they have definitely chilled out more with me, they hardly crab anymore and I’m able to pick the boy up without fear of being bitten but the girl is a little sassier so I haven’t been as hands on with her but she will still run up my arm and on my shoulders when she’s awake at night.

I have been lucky to not have experienced any sort of hissing or lunging towards me. I’ve gotten a few stern bites to tell me I’m bothering them, but nothing to break the skin. However, they were rescued from an illegal breeding situation (previous “owners” were breeding 3 pairs, mine being one of them, but did not have a license, ethical ways of breeding, etc so they were caught and shut down). I know that they are used to humans, but no one has ever attempted to bond with them.

So to sum it up, does anyone have any tips on bonding with my little guys? I want them to know I love and care for them, and preferably I want them to love me back :(. How do I get out of this phase of my babies being somewhat “indifferent” towards me?

Yes I know I haven’t had them for a while and bonding takes time, but they aren’t scared of me and somewhat trust me, I can just tell they don’t particularly care for me.
Question
Feb 23 2021
08:38:20 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with them already. The biggest piece of advice I have is to be patient. Sugar glider personalities are all different. I've had my girl for almost a year now and while she has warmed up a TON and trusts me a lot, she is still not a huge fan of being around people. My boy, however, is my baby. He will sit with me forever and loves being close to me. The level of bond that you have with them will be determine in part by their personalities and preferences.
You can give them lots of treats from your hands - they will associate you with yumminess! Talk to them. Let them hear your voice and get used to it.
Sugar gliders bond very tightly by scent - if you put little pieces of fleece in your shirt for a while (so that your smell goes on to it) and then place those with the gliders while they're sleeping, they'll get used to your smell.
Have you tried carrying them around in a bonding pouch during the day?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders