Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What should I feed my gliders?
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2021
07:23:29 AM
I'm a new suggie owner and I got my babies from someone near where I live. He was feeding them pellets and I'm not sure if I should continue their diet. Two are 1 years old and 2 are 3. I've been thinking about doing the BML diet for them because it is in my budget. I'm not sure what to do for them and if I should continue the diet they are on now. They get mealworms during dinner time and a fruit piece in the morning. This is what he told me to feed them. While I am here my males are getting angry with my female for going inside the pouch? They are crabbing at her and I'm not sure what to do for that either. I have done lots of research before hand and I thought I knew everything lol but now I'm starting to get concerned. They're eating well but the males are being not necessarily violent but as if they were scared of her.
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2021
11:48:14 AM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
A diet of pellets, fruit and mealworms isn't a good one and shouldn't be continued. Please get your babies on a staple diet. BML is a good one.
Are the males neutered? Were they all together before you got them? Could the female be in heat (this can cause both the males and females to make strange sounds, lol!)
Congrats on your babies, btw! So exciting!
If you have any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer!
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2021
01:23:44 PM
Sugarglider2005 Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you gliderloverforever I'm going to put them on a more stable diet most likely the BML diet. For now I will work with what I have until I can prepare for starting them on a new one. But don't worry they'll be put on a new diet very soon. And I'm not sure if the males are fixed or not. He said "don't feed them crickets unless you want babies" so I'm guessing neither are fixed. As soon as I get the money I'm going to get them fixed because I'm not ready for a pregnant suggie! But he said that the would not mate unless I gave them crickets which I'm not sure if that's a lie or not because I caught my female looking at her stomach or her private parts the other day. They were all together before I got them but one of the females is separate because she's having a hard time getting along with the others. He also mentioned he doesn't cut their nails or have a running wheel! So that is another thing at the VERY top of my list.
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2021
05:04:47 PM
Awesome, glad to hear that! BML is nice because the ingredients are easier to get than some of the other staple diets.
Hmm. Can you tell if the males have a bald spot on the top of their heads? If so, they are unnuetered. Yeah, it's a lie that they won't mate if not fed crickets. If an unneutered male and female are together, they will mate. Females go into heat once a month.
Yikes on the nail and wheel stuff! I'm glad that they have come to you and that you're doing what's good for them!
Food, Diet
Apr 09 2021
09:03:54 PM
Another question I have is will my female glider try to nest or check her stomach when she's pregnant? I've noticed that she is checking her belly and when I put in the bonding pouch for them to go in she goes over to it and seems to be pulling on the mesh like she was trying to nest with it. I've noticed she's eating a little more than the others too.
Food, Diet
Apr 10 2021
10:21:17 AM
Pregnant females can get extra nesty - but all gliders do it, so it isn’t a clear indication of pregnancy. As for looking towards her pouch/privates, again, that could signify pregnancy, but isn’t a definite yes or no. Same with eating more. If you could try to get a picture of her stomach/pouch area, I might be able to let you know if she has joeys in pouch or not. :)
Food, Diet
Apr 10 2021
06:20:09 PM
She won't let me look at her belly yet but I'll try as soon as she wakes up for dinner time!
Food, Diet
Apr 11 2021
05:57:39 PM
Okay, awesome.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders