GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New owner of 9, need help
Information
Aug 23 2021
10:49:54 PM
Hello all,

Long story short, my wife rescued these little fellas today who were in desperate need of help. We are both first time owners

We upgraded their home to a large chinchilla cage (best we can do right now, want a ferret nation eventually) until we can find something more suitable. I'll add pictures below if I'm able.

We have 3 Joey's and six adults, don't know the genders just yet and the original family gave us zero information, nor the family or behavior structure. We've been looking up all we can online but our situation is kind of unique given its so many. We managed to hand feed them some fruits/veggies and managed to stop getting bit so I think we're on the right track.

As I said we have a chinchilla cage from petsmart for now with multiple beds and full of toys, ropes, bridges and an exercise wheel. We have their food bowl high and water available and are in a quieter room.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
We are not trying to reproduce or sell.
Information
Aug 25 2021
12:07:26 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the Forum!
I really admire your willingness to rescue gliders from a bad situation! I hope that I will be able tp give you some help! If you have any specific questions, please do not hessitate to ask.
Deturmining the gender of gliders is fairly easy if you can get a look at their bellies. Intact males will have the round pom there and a bald spit on the top of their heads. Females have a long slit that is their pouch. Nuetered males will have nothing on their underbellies.
The first thing to do is to get all of the gliders into a vet to have a check up. They should have fecals done to make sure tbat tbey do not have parasites or othee illnesses. The vet would also be able to tell you the genders of the gliders. If you end up having unneutered males, they should be seperated from the females to prevent unwanted pregnancies and inbreeding and they should be neutered as soon as possible.
After that you can start bonding. Are you going to keep all nine or are you looking to rehome someof them?
What diet are you feeding them?
What wheel do you have?
A quick note about the ferret nation cage. The bar spacing on it is too large and the gliders will be able to escape. The critter nation is much better for gliders and has 1/2 inch bar spacing. #128522;
I'm sorry for all of the questions, but the more info I have, the better i will be able to help! #128522; i hope that I do not cone across as judgemental, it is not my intention at all! I love gliders and new glider owners. #129303;
Information
Aug 25 2021
05:41:09 PM
Shoogs66 Starting Member 3 Posts
First off, thank you for your detailed response.

So we've actually made a lot of progress luckily. My wife joined a bunch of Facebook groups and managed to get a mentor/sponsor to help with any questions. Im not real sure about the wheel but she did say she's gonna get the proper one once we're able.

So far we've determined whose who (3joey 3female & 3male). We just re homed 2 of the males today and are going to get the remaining male neutered as well. They may have ick coming from how they were living, luckily we have a vet appt. This Tuesday.

We haven't settled on a diet yet but we keep getting recommended critter love. I misspoke about the ferret nation, she's looking into the triple critter nation.

Long term I'm not sure what were going to do, I think we can handle what we got now that we're two down, but its still alot. The main worry I have about getting rid of what we have now is to not break up any social/family structure. The unfortunate truth is we just don't have the time to spend hours a day with them so atleast if they are in a group they won't get depressed or stressed out.

I really just wanna do right by the little guys
Information
Aug 25 2021
08:59:03 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
I am so.glad that yoyr wife has been able to join some facebook groups and that ypu gpt a mentor! There are a lot of great groups out there! #128522;

That definitely makes sense. Ypu are doing what you can and that is admirable. #128522; good luck! #128077;

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders