Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help, I will take any information I can get!
Behavior
Feb 03 2022
01:39:11 PM
This is a follow up post to my last post from the end of December last year.

The post explaining the situation can be found here: www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61809

My glider has continued to make the noise for about four months now, I still haven't found a solution. I am making this post in hopes to get more light on it so I can get some answers. I am seriously desperate at this point, I have no Idea what to do.

I will take any form of help or information!
Behavior
Feb 03 2022
02:08:26 PM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
My gliders make this noise when fighting with each other in their pouches for space.
however, if she's alone. I can honestly say I have no idea why she's making this sound other than potentially calling for something?
I'd highly consider introducing a buddy to her (carefully, of course)
this goes on ALL night?
Behavior
Feb 03 2022
08:45:02 PM
ScrubbableDave Starting Member 4 Posts
I see. And kind of, she really just does it whenever she's awake. Sometimes during the day but mostly at night.
Behavior
Feb 04 2022
11:55:33 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
First. I do NOT believe that is a noise that says she is in distress or hurt. I believe it is a more natural noise.
My guess would be loneliness, and she is just keeping herself busy, entertained.
So I would suggest another glider or two. I have 6 and expect for the additional
cost of food, isnt much different then having 2. If my gliders are eating treats, sometimes they will try to steal another gliders food/treat, the upset glider makes a noise similar to that until the food issue is resolved.
Another great option is a vet visit just to be sure she doesnt have a health
issue. You could look on her/him bottom side, look for swelling or wetness anything that might look not normal. A great vet here in indiana with lots of
experience said if they have a problem you can usually see some problems on their
bottom side. I made him do a fecal test anyway, he was inexpensive like $40, and came back negative.
also, is her pouch new or old with strings getting in her nails?

If you pick her up does she stop? or will she make this noise while in your
hand?

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 04 2022 11:56:44 AM
Behavior
Feb 06 2022
02:33:05 PM
ScrubbableDave Starting Member 4 Posts
Her fleece pouches do have a few nicks but for the most part are pretty nice. Again, I cut her nails regularly, when I cut her nails when she first started doing it, that didn't really help. We saw the vet when it first started happening and they didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, they said she was quite heathy. She doesn’t make the noise when I hold her pouch, massage her, or hold her in my hands. It’s only when I put her back in the cage that she starts again. So sometimes when she’s doing it I will just take her out and hold her pouch for a bit. And she doesn't do it specifically to get my attention, she often does it when she knows I am not even in the room or when I leave her alone.
Behavior
Feb 18 2022
04:34:38 PM
moonrat Starting Member 3 Posts
I would agree that I think she's lonely]
The fact that she doesn't do it when you are spending time with her leads me to believe that she is doing it because she wants more attention?
Try increasing the time that she spends on/with you!
Or when you're unable to hold her physically, try reading or singing/humming softly to her~
Maybe give her a little stuffed animal toy for her to snuggle with in the meantime as well? (add your scent to it and always check it daily for signs of wear)
Change up her enclosure layout more often so there are more things to do and explore? Encourage that with hiding treats in various spots~
And I would very highly consider getting her a buddy!
Hope things are going better for both of you!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders