Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider not be able to get enough food
Food, Diet
Feb 11 2022
10:46:59 PM
Hi, this is my first post but I've been coming to the site for a while now for information.

I have two gliders, one is a 9 month old caramel and the other is 7 and a half month old half caramel half gray(both males and neutered.) They have been getting along together well sense I introduced them roughly 6 months ago. I have them on the TPG diet with each glider getting 2 table spoons of food.

The problem is that the younger gray is out growing the caramel, and the caramel actually went from 84g to 73g in about a month. I gave him more snacks during the day to bump his weight back up but I don't think he is getting all the nutrition he needs because the only thing he will eat during the day are apple or meal worms. And a few days ago I've noticed the gray suddenly chasing the caramel around the cage and making that short mean growl when they lunge/bite out of anger. I didn't see what caused it but I think it might be food aggression? I've checked the caramel and he doesn't seem to have any wounds though.

So I separated them for a few days to see their habits, how much each eats, if there was a food one of them didn't like, and so on. They both clean their plates, its just the caramel takes the whole night to finish and the gray has eaten everything on his plate in three hours. Now I've been doubling their food for the past 3 days and reintroduced them to see what happens. They eat all the food and I haven't noticed any aggressive chasing. While both their weights have gone up, the gray gained 8 grams in 11 days while the caramel gained half that. So I'm afraid if I just give them more food so the caramel can get his share, the gray will be eating twice as much as he should and become overweight.

I'm not sure what to do. Separate bowls at different heights and sides of the cage won't work cause when the gray is done with one he will just move to the other sense the caramel eats much slower.

I'm also afraid the gray's behavior might become more aggressive as he gets more and more larger then the caramel. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Food, Diet
Feb 12 2022
11:24:46 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
I had this problem with my male and female gliders a few years ago!

what I ended up doing, because I'm blessed to not worry about how much I'm feeding them in terms of cost, is give 2 places for them to eat, and then give more food than either of them can eat in a night. you'll always have food leftover the next morning, but my glider gained weight! Try it out, it may not work for everyone, but it's at least something!
Food, Diet
Feb 12 2022
03:18:59 PM
Sleepy Suggie Starting Member 4 Posts
Thanks for replying GaindKaidos
Feeding them extra is something I can do, but I was worried that the gray will end up eating between 2 to 3 times the recommended amount and that would lead to weight problems. Do sugar gliders not overeat?
Food, Diet
Feb 12 2022
04:38:32 PM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
My suggies do not over eat. I've not seen an excessive amount of posts discussing them over eating, but if they feel they aren't getting enough food and are being territorial, there is something to "I'M GONNA EAT IT ALL ALL THE TIME" because of territory. Watch their weights, of course, but also keep in mind that someone needs to be fed. And if they aren't getting enough food, the first step is to get them fed up. keep playing with them, keep loving them, give them a good diet (not too many fats, not too few vitamins... the usual) with variation. If there's a food one HATES and the smaller one LOVES, then it's a good idea to put that food in more with the balanced diet. For instance, my smaller glider would never eat tomatoes, so when she was having weight problems I'd be sure to feed her no tomatoes and give the other one other foods in a different place and give her her favorite foods in her spot. They got used to eating on different levels because the other glider always seemed to have "icky" foods.
keep trying!! You'll get a pattern set and a solution found!
Food, Diet
Feb 13 2022
06:21:38 PM
Sleepy Suggie Starting Member 4 Posts
Alright I'll continue to give them extra food then. Thanks again for the help GrandKaidos!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders