Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Dead glider :( In desperate need of advice
Health related
May 03 2022
09:21:51 AM
Hello, I apologize if this post is in the wrong place , I just created an account as I am desperate for some help and I’m not sure how to navigate this site .
Last night I got home from work and went to feed the girls and to my absolute horror , my glider Mia, was dead on the ground :( She was only about 7 years old. I rescued her along with her cage mate , Molly, about 3 years ago. They were not very well acclimated to people as the previous owner never handled them. They have been great eaters and very active the entire time I’ve had them. The previous night she was out and about waiting for feeding time and within 24 hours she was dead . It was gruesome . Her eyes were gone and her stomach had been picked at . Some people that I’ve asked had suggested she passed and Molly started picking at her remains , and a few people have suggested Molly may have killed her herself . They’ve always seemed to have gotten along and I have had no problems with fighting in the past. Molly has always been the smaller , more shy/standoffish of the two and looked completely untouched .I sincerely have no idea what happened :(
My main concern at this point is my remaining glider Molly. I fear the possibility of her being the aggressor but I just can’t see her doing something like this . The idea of her being completely innocent and having to live alone forever absolutely crushes me . I’ve found a pair looking for a home in my city that are around her age and on the same feeding schedule. I know I would have to get a second cage to acclimate them to each other but I am willing to do whatever it takes for Molly (and any potential new cage mates). Or do you guys think she needs to be solitary ??? I have no idea . I can’t sleep or think about anything else . Any feedback would be lovely and so appreciated . Thanks
Health related
May 07 2022
10:43:47 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Yes gliders are colony animals, and MOST do best with others. BUT I have read about breeders have gliders that are alone, happy and refuse a new cagemate.
I think most say single gliders just need lots of attention from a person.

sounds like one most likely attacked. One thing I read, in the wild, gliders
have the option if not happy to leave a colony and try to get a new one.
in captivity they don't have that option.
We had a happy colony of 5 and another of 6. that was two many. we gave 2 of five rehomed and 3 rehomed elsewhere. the 5 never fought or had issues. we heard back several months later one nice female and killed the other nice female.

I wonder about. diet? cage size? quality glider wheel for exercise/activity?
treats?
but in the end I don't know that much about why that would happen. Illness of one?

We have an alpha male, he can get mean with the other 5 sometimes. chase, chatter at them, very short spat. but he never hurts them, never any wounds. I have read that a colony can have a structure. One alpha, one pouch protector (crabber) etc. and this organization helps them keep order. so far about 7 years with these 6 and
all is well. but you never know, exotic animals, less know about them.
You could take one to vet for a checkup and ask them, but unless they are very
experienced with gliders they probably wont have an answer for you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders