GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Thinning hair on gliders
Thinning hair on gliders
Question
Dec 04 2022
03:24:30 AM
Hello everyone.

I am new here, and I have a question about my gliders. I haven’t been able to find much online about it.
I have two girls. Ruby and Opal. They are sisters 6 months apart. They have gotten along well for the past few years and we haven’t had any problems, though Opal sometimes has a thinning hair patch on the top of her head like a male might. I thought it was from Ruby over grooming her because she did a lot when they first met.

The problem is I recently noticed that Opal has a noticeable patch of fur missing from her head, and Ruby has thinning fur on her back. This hasn’t happened before, and I’m worried something is wrong. Are they just grooming each other too much? Or are they picking on each other? Sometimes I hear them crab at each other, not regularly though. But I keep their nails trimmed, they have a 3 layer hammock (though they usually cuddle), and they have separate food bowls. The environment hasn’t changed and we keep the house temperature appropriate for them.
Am I worrying too much? There is no bleeding or wounds.
Thanks!

(Note; they are only a few years old, so it wouldn’t be from age)

Edited by - Jade77074 on Dec 04 2022 03:47:52 AM
Question
Dec 07 2022
07:06:31 PM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
could be from stress, diet, picking on each other... Probably stress/diet more than anything else. I've had this show up in my gliders. Sometimes they will be doing it to themselves if they feel unwell.
I'd start with diet and look at that, and go from there.
Question
Dec 07 2022
09:40:42 PM
Jade77074 Starting Member Visit Jade77074's Photo Album 2 Posts
@GandKaidos
Thank you for your input!
It might be; I usually give them a variety (grapes, apples, tomato, berries, etc.)
I always check online if they are okay first. They have kibble and get little yogurt chips as treats every night.
I’ll try switching their diet up and seeing if that helps any.
Thanks! #128154;
Question
Mar 27 2023
02:36:47 AM
SuggieSlave1991 Joey 18 Posts
You actually might want to change up their environment because if they're bored. It's from being in the same environment for too long.Gliders like to have all different kinds of toys. I usually change out all my toys and cage sets every couple of months just to give them a different environment so they don't get bored.
Thinning hair on gliders

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Thinning hair on gliders