Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding techniques first time glider dad!!!!
Question
Mar 07 2023
05:01:36 AM
So I was given a pair of males which aren’t neutered and are (was told they are 2 years old)but was informed that you can determine roughly what stage of life they are in my the busyness of there tails?? As mine aren’t very bushy I’m guessing more like a year year and a half old?! Anyways it’s been 4 days now I’ve been doing as much research as I can and applying it such as let them here your voice as you walk up to there cage or sit next to there enclosure for a period of time daily so they can get use to you?! I’ve even been able to allow them at their pace to sniff my arm at the cage and even take a mealy from my open palm ( but never reached in at them) ! So my question is this what can I do yo make these guys comfy to trust me love me bond to me and how do I get over my fear of them getting away from me as I’m trying to feed them bond etc.? And if this does accrue what can I do to help get the calm enough to get them back in? Please any info on anything can’t hurt only help me as I’m a new sugar bear dad
Question
Mar 10 2023
11:58:30 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
two males not neutered? could cause aggression problems.

looks like you have a great start... taking a mealworm off you hand, without
getting bit... excellent.
I would next give them the treat from you fingers. if they take it without
biting great, move to step two. put one hand low in front, have the treat in
the other hand higher and back some. make them step onto your hand with front
legs to get the treat. WHEN they seem ok with this, stepping on your hand to get
at the treat, go a step farther. make them climb onto your hand to get the treat.
after while they may not run, but sit on your hand or arm and eat the treat.
go slow and pet them on the back legs slow and easy, but come in slow.
I feel coming in HIGH with your hands makes them think you are more of a predator.

I made my bathroom glider safe, so would carry the sleeping/ bonding pouch into the bathroom with them secure. I would squeeze them out of pouch like toothpaste
and sit on pouch. give them time to explore, come to you, dont me handies trying
to grab them. have a treat for them. once you put the pouch out they should go in it happily, but you may need to guide them in.
some gliders get friendly very easy, some are very hard to bond with. My males
seemed easier to bond with then the females, but I have one female that is also
super bonded.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat