Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Can I introduce a new friend to my glider?
Question
Mar 25 2023
03:17:52 AM
Hi everyone! I have a female glider who is about 7 years old. A few years ago her sister sadly passed away and she hasn't had a glider friend since. I was just wondering if any of you know if it would be ok to get a new sugar glider joey to keep her company? Or would the age gap be a problem? She's a very sweet glider, but dont want to get another one and have them hate each other. I just feel bad because she used to have so much fun with her sister and I don't want her to be lonely when I can't be with her. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Question
Jul 31 2023
05:56:09 AM
SuggieSlave1991 Joey 18 Posts
Getting get a friend would be the best thing you could possibly do for her. She has probably been depressed this whole time since she lost her sister. Because of age I would suggest getting another female. A young boy would try to mount her and that would probably drive her crazy. But she would probably accept a young female right away!!! They are colony animals and love living with other gliders. It's suggested when only having 2 gliders, if one passes to try to get the remaining one a friend by at least a month after the other has passed so your glider doesn't get to depressed. A month gives the glider time to grieve their lost friend, but ready to have a new one.
Question
Jul 31 2023
09:39:46 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Be aware. getting another glider is the best thing you can do. but there is not
a 100% guarantee that the gliders will accept each other.
we had about 10 successful introductions, but I had a colony of 6 that used
to be 9. I tried to add 2 more to the 6 and the male alpha of the colony would
not accept the 2.
but with yours being alone, I'd put introductions, after the proper scent
training at a 99% chance of good results.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders