Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
What Kind of Litter Material Do You Use?
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2009
09:57:44 PM
Belinda Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Belinda's Photo Album FL, USA 944 Posts
I used to use fleece but my girl would always pull it up into the cage. It was a pain to have to wash the stuff and have all the food and poo in the washing machine. I dont care how much you shake it out in the yard the stuff just dont come off and winds up in the washing machine. I mostly use newspaper now. Unless I fix up the cages extra nice and have matching fleece and am in the mood for decorating.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2009
09:14:13 AM
gliders34 Glider GliderMap Visit gliders34's Photo Album USA 198 Posts
I use a bottom layer of newspaper and a top layer of carefresh so it obsorbs some more of the smell
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 30 2009
02:24:34 PM
PurpleConverse Super Glider Visit PurpleConverse's Photo Album USA 299 Posts
I use puppy pads.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 17 2009
04:01:43 PM
sugarglidermama Glider GliderMap Visit sugarglidermama's Photo Album 196 Posts
We use newspaper....
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2009
01:31:42 PM
oturraho Glider GliderMap Visit oturraho's Photo Album USA 74 Posts
ive tried fleece and potty training pads.. fleece is a hassel for me because i live in an apt and dont have a washer dryer hookup.. so pads are great.. but expensive.. I also cover the tray with litter pan liners to protect from leaks or if they tend to move the pads WHICH THEY DO WHEN THEY DROP A PIECE OF FOOD DOWN THERE LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 14 2009
01:22:29 PM
melissab Starting Member GliderMap 0 Posts
I use aspen shavings too. Pine and cedar are suppose to be harmful to ALL pets.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 16 2009
11:08:32 AM
B.Eckelberry24 Starting Member Visit B.Eckelberry24's Photo Album USA 3 Posts
what i use is called "Critter Care". Its the greatest stuff. you can buy it at wal*mart or just about pet store. its like crumbly pieces of softness =D the suggies love to burry themselves in it~ and its ordor absorbant!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 16 2009
09:27:30 PM
LadyBrandy Glider Visit LadyBrandy's Photo Album FL, USA 50 Posts
I use Care Fresh
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2009
11:33:25 AM
Goddessbaby Super Glider GliderMap Visit Goddessbaby's Photo Album 396 Posts
I know they say that when pine mixes with glider urine, it creates a toxin that bad for gliders
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2009
12:04:27 PM
happyhousewife1 Glider 170 Posts
I use brown paper grocery bags.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 23 2009
12:43:38 PM
whtoleander68 Joey Visit whtoleander68's Photo Album RI, USA 13 Posts
we use aspen which was recomended by vet
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 23 2009
12:45:19 PM
whtoleander68 Joey Visit whtoleander68's Photo Album RI, USA 13 Posts
we use aspen shavings which was recomended to us by a breader
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 25 2009
01:29:51 AM
suggielover74 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielover74's Photo Album USA 933 Posts
I just wipe out the bottom, I use nothing.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 05 2009
09:14:08 PM
wolfsrose21 Glider Visit wolfsrose21's Photo Album MI, USA 101 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by doitall48

we use ground up corn cobs

yeah my mom bought a 50lb bag of that stuff for my hamster who was very old and i only got to use maybe 1lb befor he passed away so now i have a huge bag of it laying around lol i least i can use it for the sugar glider cage
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 05 2009
09:52:04 PM
SariYappa Face Hugger Visit SariYappa's Photo Album USA 413 Posts
I use Jana's Custom Cage Liners, and LOVE them!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 06 2009
12:43:51 AM
suggielover74 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielover74's Photo Album USA 933 Posts
I don't use anything in the bottom of mine. I just clean it out each morning, this keeps it fresh and clean.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 07 2009
12:37:52 PM
SamTom Joey Visit SamTom's Photo Album USA 38 Posts
i use puppy training pads. it keeps odor down as well as easy clean up
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2010
01:00:55 PM
nickie9090 Joey Visit nickie9090's Photo Album USA 27 Posts
i use fleece, its really easy clean up, i shake off the food/poo everyday and throw it in the washer every few days... its also the cheapest and most environmentally friendly i think

Edited by - nickie9090 on Feb 10 2010 01:02:20 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2010
02:22:39 PM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
I have a pull out tray, so I use puppy training pads with newspaper on top. =)
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2010
04:27:54 PM
PW Face Hugger Visit PW's Photo Album 559 Posts
My cage has a wire grate at the bottom the tray is about 4 inches below it. I use aspen shavings or plain white paper toweling.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2010
04:36:20 PM
pine and cedar shavings have natural oils that cause respiratory illness, Aspen is the only wood shaving available that does not cause this problem.
Again Newsprint contains formaldehyde and sometimes heavy metals such as cadmium and lead, not a good idea to use in your animal cages.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 11 2010
12:49:53 AM
suppressedtearz Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit suppressedtearz's Photo Album USA 1066 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by PW

pine and cedar shavings have natural oils that cause respiratory illness, Aspen is the only wood shaving available that does not cause this problem.
Again Newsprint contains formaldehyde and sometimes heavy metals such as cadmium and lead, not a good idea to use in your animal cages.

You can't honestly tell me that you think there is a wood shaving that's better than the other?

Oils are not, the dust causes respiratory distress. And I can tell you any kind of wood you have has dust. No matter what the packaging says, or the process is which it's dried.

And you wanted to talk to me about newspaper...hah.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 11 2010
07:52:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by suppressedtearz

quote:
Originally posted by PW

You can't honestly tell me that you think there is a wood shaving that's better than the other?

Oils are not, the dust causes respiratory distress. And I can tell you any kind of wood you have has dust. No matter what the packaging says, or the process is which it's dried.

And you wanted to talk to me about newspaper...hah.

I just love narrow minded people I am assuming by all of your many posts that you are the authority on everything? Or is it that you just advocate what the majority posts because you have nothing of your own to add? Have you done your research on this subject or are you out to just stir up drama? Or is it because I'm the first person who has brought this up, it can't possibly be true?

Any vet will tell you that if you are going to use wood shavings Aspen is better because it doesn't have the natural oils that cause respiratory distress. Oh and incidentally? Have you seen your hands after reading a newspaper? Yes that's right powder, talk about dust. Hey and if it rubs off on your hands it couldn't possibly rub off on your pets right? And you don't consume it do you? well unless you lick your hands to groom your hair.

You go right ahead and continue to use your newspaper. By the way, have you ever seen a dog with lead poisoning because he was housed with newsprint bedding? while your at it, you may just as well start feeding the pellet and apple diet, because the proof of its harmful effect is there too, oh wait, the majority here say it is harmful right? No need for you to research the concerns.

I'm not here to appease you or anyone else, I am here to gain knowledge and understanding, and to give back the knowledge that I have gained over 30 years of breeding animals and birds. I don't pretend to be an authority or a scientist, but I have seen it first hand over many years and have done my research. I truly except your opinion, but the proof is out there, just do the research like you so willingly preach to the newbies.

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 11 2010
08:18:37 AM
Some suggested reading on the subject of wood shavings as animal bedding:

www.aracnet.com/~seagull/faq/beddingfaq.shtml

ALSO

TOX-17 - Black Newsprint Inks

Error, missing URL. 1
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 11 2010
09:27:45 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SariYappa

I use Jana's Custom Cage Liners, and LOVE them!

I also use Jana's Custom Cage Liners. They are wonderful!

PLEASE - No kitty litter, aspen or ground up corn cobs!! These can be ingested by the gliders which can cause intestinal blockage...
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 17 2010
08:33:49 PM
LxTrix Glider GliderMap Visit LxTrix's Photo Album 121 Posts
i dont use anything then again i only have one glider and i clean his cage weekly

(yes i know, pairs, colony, whatever)
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 17 2010
09:28:24 PM
josefine Face Hugger GliderMap IA, USA 416 Posts
i use puppy pads,they do seem to work best for me.i have also used white meat paper,& liked that also.
josefine
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 25 2010
10:21:27 PM
umfan92 Glider GliderMap Visit umfan92's Photo Album FL, USA 148 Posts
the vet told me to use newspaper
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2010
01:26:02 AM
slave4suggies Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit slave4suggies's Photo Album USA 1101 Posts
I don't use anything in the bottom of the cage. I just clean it out each morning. It's what works best for me.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2010
10:41:03 AM
kensey Glider Visit kensey's Photo Album kensey's Journal 83 Posts
i just use paper towls
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires