Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
After three neuters...
After three neuters...
Information
Sep 26 2007
07:03:25 PM
We had JP, Chico and Lucky neutered today after waiting over a month for the appointment. The price has indeed gone up from $35 to $55 per animal which is obviously going to affect any kind of rescuing and rehoming effort I do in the future. Nonetheless, it is still a fantastic deal if you shop around.

JP slipped out of his collar at the vet and he was ok. He's been at home sleeping with his temp cage mate and all looks well.

Chico and Lucky were fighting their collars violently and we removed them per Eric's begging request and they both went straight to pulling hard and biting. Reattaching collars with a wide awake and fighting animal is tough and requires two people. After reattach, it was obvious that the small yogurt lid was not enough to keep them from being able to grab their stuff, so we made larger versions out of the larger 2 pint/32oz yogurt container lids. Success and time has finally calmed these boys down and they are resting. I think they will need to stay in their collars and I will probably park them in a quiet and very well lit room for the night.

We need to update the lid-collar instructions to use a larger lid and perhaps add a cutting template.

Default, miscellaneous
Sep 26 2007
07:58:42 PM
1jordanpruittfan Glider GliderMap Visit 1jordanpruittfan's Photo Album 56 Posts
oh my gosh, that bottom picture is the funniest picture i have ever seen!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 26 2007
08:15:24 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
poor babies.
Well I'd say we should start a group like the SRR or SSR or whatever to help people like you neuter, but then the money would just DISAPPEAR like all the other ones.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 26 2007
08:44:17 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Awwwww - cute, sleepy little babies. I LOVE the picture with the buck teeth showing!!!

We would all love to have an e-collar template. The collar you make looks a little more sturdy than the other pattern.

Keep us posted on how JP, Chico and Lucky are doing.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 26 2007
09:04:30 PM
Roz Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Roz's Photo Album USA 902 Posts
Poor babies..look so pitiful....You still got a great deal...in Miami mine charged $100.00 inc pain meds. I did not get or use a collar and Chip was fine...lucky I guess.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 26 2007
09:23:34 PM
Ilovesuggies Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Ilovesuggies's Photo Album USA 494 Posts
Mine charges 97.00 and i have 2 that still need it and the one i rescued last week is supose to get fixed Monday. I wished it was 55 here. I havent used a collar yet either knock on wood.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 27 2007
01:45:53 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
JP has been doing great without his collar; I think hes over any hump and good to go. The other two, not so good. 2am or so I still had them together and the younger male began knawing on daddy's sac. We all learn that it is in their nature to remove scabs and anything that seems foreign which is essentially the beginning of the cycle of self-mutilation. Well I think Lucky noticed dried blood or such that he could access on Chico and he began grooming. We caught it immediately and separated them but Chico had a bit of a time where he wanted to go after himself then, probably because it hurt now. They are doing ok now and I might be able to let Lucky out of his collar, but I hesitate and may just keep them both in it until both are ready.

So what have I learned? It may be a good idea to keep the neuters separate for awhile while they heal so that nobody tries to groom on them. I think recovery from leaving the sac intact is a little harder. My first three neuters had no issues, but this time around I wasnt so lucky. These two boys are young and finicky.

Default, miscellaneous
Sep 27 2007
01:51:24 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I always have vets leave the sac because they CAN self mutilate and rip the sac off- causing more problems.

I know it's harder to figure out which is male and which is female that way but I don't know...
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 27 2007
01:52:13 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
What you have learned is great adivce. Thanks so much for sharing this. I have another neuter coming up (BooBoo) so I will keep him separate for a few days or so based on your experience. Thanks so much!~
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 27 2007
02:26:43 PM
Skia Super Glider Visit Skia's Photo Album USA 275 Posts
Wow! over a month!!! Kaz can you please PM me with contact info for the vet in so I have it on hand and can get an appointment if we do decide to go the route of coming dowm there for Faux for sure.

So, based on this them it may be a better idea to not take Esme and Pukin for the ride when we get Faux nuetered...
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 27 2007
02:45:39 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Perhaps.

The vet is in the vet database on the menu bar under Dallas.

Animal Clinic of Farmers Branch
14021 Denton Dr
Dallas, TX 75234 phone972-247-2221
$55 surgical neuter for sugar gliders
(leave pompom intact, use gas, inject pain killer, send home with e-collar)
Drop off around 8:30am, pick up at 1:00pm.
Can hang around the area and go shopping, eat lunch while waiting…
No email address.
This place is VERY busy and must schedule neuters ahead of time, often 1 to 2 months, so call now! The price and quality is worth the trip from out of town.
After three neuters...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
After three neuters...