I think you reacted just the way you should have! Great job getting him right to the vets office!
I am not expert but in your shoes I would watch them very closely and when you do go to bed I would put your little guy in a hospital (travel) cage with a pouch that smells like his home of course. The reason would be to keep him from being overly active and to keep his mate from over grooming, just in case. Then when you get up and keep an eye on them put them together again.
There are a few lines of thinking on this from what I have noticed. Some believe the separation is safer but more stressful socially, where as keeping them together is more risky but less stress socially.
As for the vet.... no pain meds? No precautionary anti-biotics? Gliders get infections so easy and can look wonderful and go down fast. I am not saying it to worry you, I am sure your a mess of worry already, just that if you take him back to that vet, have him call the back up vets to get more information.
I think wanting to take him 7 hours round trip is wonderful and I would too but in your situation, waiting on baby.... maybe it would be best to stay close to home and have your vet contact a more experienced one in these matters.
Thinking of you and yours!