Sugar Gliders
OMG-genitalia amputation inevitable? *graphic* UPDATE
Next |
Page: of 2
Health related
Dec 16 2008
10:46:48 PM
I have NO idea when this happened or how long this has been this way. This is Daddy's genitalia. I noticed this while he was eating about an hour ago. Needless to say, he'll be at the vet first thing in the morning. I've been watching him like a hawk. He isn't messing with it, acting different or anything. I see him on his back grooming almost every night and have not seen this. I'm just beside myself! How fast/slow does this happen and how could I have not noticed if he wasn't retracting? OMG!

Edited by - kyro298 on Dec 17 2008 01:13:41 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 16 2008
11:05:43 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
That took me a bit of looking at it to get the right idea. Without a doubt it looks necrotic at first and then what I think I see is that the tip(s) of the genitalia is actually gone from the base up. He doesnt have his bifurcated ends anymore which probably means that he chewed them off. I think the amputation has already happened. The vet may decide to leave the black end on and just keep an eye on it for anything worsening.

I hope I am seeing this wrong, but your photos are rather clear. I cannot see two of anything there.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 16 2008
11:15:35 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I don't think you're seeing it wrong and I mentioned that to my husband about how I didn't see two ends also. I guess this could be why he's not retracting it now but I don't know how I would not have seen or heard anything. I'm with them like crazy when they're awake and see them all every single night. I even played with him last night and didn't see anything. The only thing abnormal for them was when I was out of town last weekend and they weren't able to get out and play for 3 days. I don't know if he did this then or if the tissue dies extremely rapidly and he did it in the last few days? He is acting completely normal and he's even playing right now after he had a yogie and then he ate dinner like always.

I guess I don't know whether to put something on it to help him retract or if I should just leave him alone and not bring more attention to the area?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 16 2008
11:49:50 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I dont see how he could not have a bifuriated genitalia and have impregnated your female though.

It is highly possible for only one end to come out. Thats what happened with Neo originally And that could be the one thats necrotic.

Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
12:06:37 AM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I think what you may have to go through tongight.

Your vet will put the boy to sleep and maybe try to see if the glider does only have one part of the genitalia out. Then they just do a little snip snip. Its as simple and safe as a neuter. Since the cloaca is not swollen there isn't any issues like Neo had, so don't worry about that.

They don't need all of their peep. And since he's neutered, he really doesn't need it. The vet told me they don't urinate from it and they can cut all the way up to the base. so if he did chew it off from the base then they might do just what kazko said.

Time for the cotton ball test on your cage to see if he snagged it on anything.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
12:33:47 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
It definitely was completely intact...there's NO doubt about that. I saw it MANY times. As a matter of fact, I saw him and Skitzi mating less than 2 weeks ago.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
01:21:42 AM
Here he is on his back. He's back in the pouch now...

And here's 5 minutes later:

Health related
Dec 17 2008
05:07:28 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Oooh crud. I'm so sorry! It's not gonna be an easy night for you tonite. Please let us know exactly what the vet has to say about this. At least it will be a learning experience for all of us. I wonder - why?!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
05:11:13 AM
Buffie Super Glider Visit Buffie's Photo Album 224 Posts
In the people world necrosis can happen very fast, it doesn't take long for something to become necrotic if there is no blood flow to the area. Do you think it could have become stuck on something that restricted the blood flow?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
05:32:10 AM
AngieH Face Hugger GliderMap Visit AngieH's Photo Album 934 Posts
I am so sorry! Please let us know what the vet says. Our prayers are with you and Daddy.
Health related
Dec 17 2008
07:56:45 AM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
{{HUGS & PRAYERS}} to you both.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
08:49:26 AM
I was telling Rheasha last night that I did the cotton ball test and checked the entire room since they spend a lot of time outside the cages. Their room is pretty bare and glider-proof though and I found nothing. The vet opens in 40 mins. (It's only 7:50 here)

He did just fine last night. If I hadn't finally seen it, I would never have known. At this point, I'm hoping Kazko is right and no surgery will be needed. I'm still just confused as to when/why/how I didn't see it, etc...I do keep an e-collar on hand and suggest everyone else does too. I'm VERY interactive with my gliders every single night and you just never know what can happen.

I've never heard any SM noise of any kind-or any abnormal noise at all for that matter. That doesn't mean it didn't happen when I was asleep one night but he's also never acted any different. I don't think I'll ever know for sure. He is neutered so parenting isn't even an issue although he is daddy to 3 of my monkeys and he's THE best dad ever. He STILL grooms Shiloh and Maddox and sleeps cuddled up with them. When I checked on him the last time, Shiloh was cuddled up in a ball on his chest. ANYWAY, I will definitely keep you all posted as to what she says.
Health related
Dec 17 2008
08:58:30 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Kyro, I will definitely keep Daddy in my prayers.

This goes to show all of us how quickly things can happen with these little guys. And how they hide illnesses and injuries so well.

Let us know what the vet says as soon as you can.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
09:10:28 AM
mccubbins7 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit mccubbins7's Photo Album USA 681 Posts
wow sorry about this kyro..
i orya for everyonr on here everynight so ill just pray a little harder for you and your poor bebe..
please keep us updated..
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
09:45:02 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Seeing your 1:00am photos with his body to compare size, it looks to me like the blackened tip is only one of the bifurcated ends so perhaps the other is still in there. The earlier photos showed the sheath out with the tip and the latter photos suggest that most of the genitalia is still there intact. Something in there is either swollen or just the opposite and lacking blood flow. It is very hard to tell from a photo.

Maybe we are all wrong and it's just some dried poop. <crossing fingers>
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
10:44:16 AM
I go to the vet in an hour so we'll know more! I wouldn't be mad if it was, but I don't think it's poop. LOL
Health related
Dec 17 2008
01:13:12 PM
AWESOME news...once we got to the vet and she got him out, his genitalia was completely out and we could see very clearly that it was just the very tip of one of the "forks" and no where near his shaft. Even better news-he didn't self-mutilate. She said he must have somehow just damaged the very tip. She snipped that dead tissue off (while he was eating a yogie), dabbed some ointment on it and he immediately retracted it all the way. No fussing, no crabbing, no bleeding, no nothing. He groomed himself forever, but didn't even go near his cloaca area at all. I'll be watching him very closely but she said she thinks he won't have any other problems with it and it should heal just fine. She gave me antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory just to be sure. I am SO SO SO relieved! Let's just hope she's right about it healing easily and with no problems...he's already sleeping.

On a side note, she says he's 118 grams. Every time I weigh him he fluctuates between 95 and 100. He doesn't even look big to me. I'm wondering if her scale was off. She weighed him in warp speed so I don't know how accurate it was. He just doesn't LOOK 118 but I'll have to try and get him back on my scale I have here to compare.

edited to fix my lame grammar

Edited by - kyro298 on Dec 17 2008 01:20:35 PM
Health related
Dec 17 2008
01:16:09 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
That's wonderful news!!!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
01:28:25 PM
yea..
thats great news..
congrats..
im so happy for him and you..
Health related
Dec 17 2008
01:36:51 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Fantastic News!!

But just think, this could've turned out reeeeallly badly if you hadn't been paying attention and #1 noticed it in the first place and #2 taken him to a vet.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
01:41:23 PM
You can bet I'll be checking those underbellies from now on too!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
02:29:11 PM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Best news all day!!
Health related
Dec 17 2008
03:27:59 PM
Bo and Lukes mom Joey 49 Posts
So glad to hear he will be fine
Health related
Dec 17 2008
03:31:34 PM
I have had Benji since July and I dont recall ever seeing his... I hope it's ok.
Health related
Dec 17 2008
03:34:07 PM
I'm glad it was just one parts of the fork like I thought. That made it easier for your vet.

I think its most likely that it was out and got snagged on another glider's nail if the cotton ball test came out fine.

Edited by - Ahsaehr on Dec 17 2008 03:35:53 PM
Health related
Dec 17 2008
03:46:49 PM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
Yeah, that IS wonderful news!
Health related
Dec 17 2008
03:52:05 PM
suggielove Super Glider Visit suggielove's Photo Album 307 Posts
Glad for the good news! This was much harder on you than it was on him. He looks very comfy in his last picture!
Health related
Dec 17 2008
04:37:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ahsaehr

I'm glad it was just one parts of the fork like I thought. That made it easier for your vet.

I think its most likely that it was out and got snagged on another glider's nail if the cotton ball test came out fine.

That's for sure! There's another member going through something similar (on another board) and her vet said it could have possibly been from flossing too.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
04:54:55 PM
hahaha grosss...
typical man..
really could it be from OVER FLOSSIN
Health related
Dec 17 2008
04:58:26 PM
Health related
Dec 17 2008
06:44:23 PM
mtb Face Hugger Visit mtb's Photo Album USA 950 Posts
I'm so glad he's OK.
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders