Night barking...
Next |
Page: of 2
Night barking...
Behavior
Jan 09 2009
10:01:34 PM
Hi everyone!

I am brand new to this site - although, I've been reading for a week or two all the forum topics on here that I can manage to fit in and trying to become as knowledgable as possible before I jump into getting my first glider. This site has just been packed full of valuable information. One topic that still has me a bit concerned that I haven't noticed talked about that much (at least not that I've found as of yet but with all this reading, it could be somewhere) is noise. I know they are nocturnal - and thats OK with me, they can bark, and crab but I was wondering what everyones experiences are with noise in the middle of the night?? Also, I plan on getting two after reading how important that is for them to have a friend and will that help with barking at night - having eachother at night? I'd love to hear some peoples first hand experiences with night time noise in general. Thank you!
Question
Jan 09 2009
10:06:29 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
If they have noisy toys, you will hear those - clanking - bells ringing, etc. Some of the running wheels are pretty noisy. You can hear the gliders running in them and they squeak. (Get a Stealth!) You can hear them jumping from one side of the cage to another. And sometimes fussing with each other. Along with the ALL night barking!
Question
Jan 09 2009
10:11:40 PM
jtsangels27 Super Glider GliderMap Visit jtsangels27's Photo Album AR, USA 344 Posts
They do bark, but it depends on the gliders as to how much. They are just like people, they all have thier own personalities. My babies bark and I love to hear it, when my babies are barking I take it like it's thier way of saying HELLO OUT THERE???? I'M HAPPY COME PLAY WITH ME...

My babies cage is in my livingroom and I sleep very hard and so they never wake me up with barking, but if they were in my room it may be a little different. So I would say it depends on where thier cage will be. I am sure there will be plenty of others that comment, and I feel certain they will say you need to realize they do make noises but for the most part it's not bad at all...or that what I think anyways...
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
10:14:01 PM
Goldwinger Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Goldwinger's Photo Album Goldwinger's Journal VA, USA 1369 Posts
I sleep three rooms away from my babies and I can hear the one and only one that's barks in my room but he seldom does. I usually always just fall back asleep after listening for a few minutes or getting and checking on him. Usually he'll stop immediately if I get up and talk to him for a few. Other than that I can't say that while I'm sleeping I can even hear them.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
10:14:20 PM
KimmieDawn Glider GliderMap Visit KimmieDawn's Photo Album USA 142 Posts
Just don't try to keep them in your bedroom, we made that mistake but after the first night, they were moved into the kitchen and then after we got their much larger cage moved into the living room. My gliders, we have 4 total now, aren't that noisy actually. It seems to come in spurts. This past week they have been a lot more vocal but I am thinking its because the babies are getting so big and are all over the cage playing with this and that along side of their momma and daddy. Take some getting used too, I mostly tune it out at night while I am sleeping. But if I do hear something out of the ordinary then I of course go check on them. Its just like if you lived near train tracks or an airport, you just get used to it.
Question
Jan 09 2009
10:15:09 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Mine are in my bedroom and I love it when they start barking. Its a game we play almost every night. They bark and then I bark back.... They will continue this for 10 minutes or more at times. Its really cute.
Question
Jan 09 2009
10:17:29 PM
alyanne Face Hugger Visit alyanne's Photo Album FL, USA 487 Posts
Thanks. I have no problems with toys clanking, wheels spinning ect. The barking, if its every single night all night, humm, I know I can sleep through that, its falling asleep I might have problems with. I do have a spare room that I can put their cage in. I've read that they bark at night because they want your attention. Is this correct or is it just because they are busy being playful in their cage? I think that makes a big difference. I don't think I would have the heart to hear them barking for their human (after they've bonded) and just ignore them and i just go to sleep. It just seems wrong. Would this be their main cause for barking?
Question
Jan 09 2009
10:21:40 PM
Wow, there were so many replies so quickly. Thank you all! This has helped me alot. It sounds like its not that bad. Like I said, I can sleep through it, its just a matter of falling asleep.
Question
Jan 09 2009
11:04:51 PM
Fairydragonfic Joey Visit Fairydragonfic's Photo Album 15 Posts
my glider barks a bit and it should be taken as a positive message, but if you'd like to keep them quiet I know that several people have said that a nightlight or turning on a lamp will keep them from barking, but they will continue to play. And also, if my glider is barking I just wake up let it crawl on my hand a bit and then go back to bed and he doesn't make another noise.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
11:22:53 PM
Stripedfire Super Glider GliderMap Visit Stripedfire's Photo Album Stripedfire's Journal USA 386 Posts
My gliders bark, but if I say something, sometimes they'll stop. Other times they'll make me get up and pet them, then I can go back to sleep. One of my favorite stories to tell is on Christmas Eve, I wanted to go take a peek at my presents. I didn't know how late my parents would be up, so I was very careful and I was trying to be quiet. It would have been easy, except every time I slightly opened my door, the girls would start barking! So I would shut the door and then try again. When I shut the door they stopped and they'd start up again every time I tried to open the door. It got the point point where I was like, "Ok. How much did my parents pay you?" Lol. I played with them for a bit and then tried again, but this time they let me get through. Those guys are so smart, but they can be annoying, too!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
11:37:09 PM
mandiangel Joey GliderMap Visit mandiangel's Photo Album USA 47 Posts
I love having my gliders in my room, usually i spend the majority of my time in my room so ya. Their barking and noises don't bother me, I usually fall back asleep.
Question
Jan 09 2009
11:45:58 PM
BabyGirl Face Hugger Visit BabyGirl's Photo Album BabyGirl's Journal USA 576 Posts
I thought the barking was something they did to get attention, or to alert each other of their whereabouts? But mine is alone in her cage. She sleeps in my room so I usually go to her cage and talk to her for a min, or bark back. We play this game alot. Sometimes I can't resist her, and reach in to pet her :)
Question
Jan 10 2009
12:06:49 AM
So basically, if I can get two gliders, night lights/or lamp help and it seems like some people, if they get up and pet them a little, they calm down... I had just spoke with a woman today who had made it sound like its soooo uncontrollable and I'll never get a good nights rest for the 10-15 years. I'm so glad to hear that its managable and its not as bad as that woman made it sound. I can sleep through a train wreck so if I can get even a few minutes of quite to just get to sleep, this might work out if I get two - especially if they are in our spare room. I can't wait to find a couple of suggies, but in the meantime, I will keep reading and researching.
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
02:41:25 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
You dont want to put a glider cage in your bedroom where you sleep, that is for sure. But, the noises dont bother me, or my dogs or anyone else. Barking is natural, I encourage it. There is no reason to stop it. It is a normal activity that they need to stay mentally fit, so I wouldnt try to stop it. They dont need a petting or anything. You dont pet a cricket when they call or a wolf when they howl... Letting animals be animals is the way to go.

If you check around at the rescues, you might find 3+ living together happily in a cage that you could adopt. I recommend the 3+ for the most laughs.

http://www.sugarglider.com/barking.wav

I should make a recording some night when all of my cages are singing. Maybe Angie could do that sometime and share with us?
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
02:54:26 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I recorded this barking a night ago for fun and had forgotten about it until just now.

[url]http://www.sugarglider.com/images/terrys/20090108_Terrys_Glider_Barking.wav[/url]

It is from somebody in the sugar shack cage from the pile of 8 that were all in one ferret sack thingy. It is a casual bark. He isnt lonely, he isnt sad, he's not hungry or needing my attention, he's just barking from the pile of fur like sugar gliders do. NO PERSON understands what the barking really is no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise. All you can do is guess and let the animals be animals.

My theory on the barking is that it is just a beacon, not an alert. Much like a lighthouse or a lonely buoy bell ringing its existence. A colony may use it to say that they are here and to possibly help define and maintain active borders to the next colony. It isnt angry or mean, it isnt fighting, it isnt an alert, just a beacon. Many times multiple animals will bark in a single cage and they will also randomly bark between the cages and sometimes in alternating and almost melodic sequence.

One thing is for sure though, when someone barks, all cages stand still and listen as if almost in a trance. So perhaps it's just a form of singing or maybe some sort of melodic strutting designed to bring interested gliders into their colony, who knows.

[url="http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Sugar+Shack&mid=2571&cid=441"]
[img]http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/Photos/2571/DSC01715a.JPG[/img][/url]
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
03:42:23 AM
Rach Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Rach's Photo Album 626 Posts
quote:
Barking is natural, I encourage it. There is no reason to stop it. It is a normal activity that they need to stay mentally fit, so I wouldnt try to stop it.

I totally agree.

I believe that they have different barks that mean different things, it just we cant differentiate them, they may be slightly higher or lower in pitch or succession or length. Its the same with all the other noises they make such as hissing and the psst sound.

I would say they have different barks for warnings, friendly chatter, location of group members, annoyance between each other, hey I have found a yummy food source, etc
Its one of the way they communicate, so it wouldnt make sence if thier bark only had one meaning.
Question
Jan 10 2009
08:12:26 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
I equate it to wild birds. They sing for many reasons: to declare territory, to look for a mate, to show predators "I am healthy enough to sing, leave me alone", and sometimes "It's a sunny day, and I just found a loaded bird feeder, and all's right with the world". It can mean just about anything.

The "beacon" analogy really rings true with me.

I don't allow my gliders to train me by going to them with treats every time they bark, because I really don't think it's constructive, AND I don't want them waking me up every night. After a few minutes, they stop. Ain't no biggy.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
08:39:59 AM

Mine are in my bedroom and I love it when they start barking. Its a game we play almost every night. They bark and then I bark back....

MAKE WAY FOR THE CRAZY GLIDER LADY

Rita I want a video of this PLEASE.

LOL

Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
08:46:24 AM
If some of you are woken by Sugar Gliders barking you should be in the next room listening to Squirrel Gliders calling, now thats a freaky sound. The first time I heard it, it woke me from a deep sleep and I usually sleep through anything, I flew out of bed to see what the heck was wrong and they just continued calling, after that knowing that it was just them calling and nothing horrible was happening, I loved listening to them and the Sugar Gliders. I have them outside now so I have not heard it in a long while, I really must try and get a recording for everyone to hear.
Question
Jan 10 2009
10:09:10 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Rach

Mine are in my bedroom and I love it when they start barking. Its a game we play almost every night. They bark and then I bark back....

MAKE WAY FOR THE CRAZY GLIDER LADY

Rita I want a video of this PLEASE.

LOL

I second the motion!!!
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
10:46:57 AM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
Mine are also in my bedroom and they do occasionally bark between 2 and 4 AM but it doesn't bother me either -- I think it's adorable! My husband, however, complains about it keeping him up. So, I guess it just depends on the person.

I find that mine do most of their barking in the morning hours when they are having their out of cage time.
Question
Jan 10 2009
11:46:26 AM
Kazko - They sound sooooo cute! Like little puppies barking. Thank you for the advice on checking rescues. Thats exactly what I've been trying to do and if a colony of three is best for laughs, I will keep my eyes open for what I can find. I did find a family of three on a rescue site a day or two ago but the person e-mailed me back saying they had found a home. I'm going to keep looking though!
Question
Jan 10 2009
11:56:45 AM
Sometimes *I* start the barking first!!! And like Kazko said, they all stop and freeze in place to listen, sometimes twitching their ears and cocking their heads from side to side. Im sure they are thinking what in the heck is this crazy person saying???

I love the sound of their barking. Its so cute. Like a little puppy. As small as they are, they can be loud...
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
12:31:47 PM
Thats so funny! And them cocking their heads, how precious!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
12:48:16 PM
Britt_marie19 Face Hugger Visit Britt_marie19's Photo Album USA 537 Posts
two nights ago.. Pogo started barking and my better half told me that i cant go play with her because thats what she wants and if i go play with her then she will know she can bark to get my attention.. well, i got up and just shut the door.. (keep in mind this is the first time that i havent listened to thier barking commands) well Pogo didnt like the fact that she didnt get the attention so instead of a light bark every 3 seconds, it turned into a loud bark every half second.. my other half was like "you have got to be kidding me" and i just started laughing and explained to him that Pogo and Mini run the place and we have to listen to thier orders.. haha.. the next morning pogo and mini wanted NOTHING to do with me.. usually i will go to the cage and they will jump on me.. but this morning they were running from me. they were so mad! we are fine now and the barking started again last night so i went and played with them.. My other half lost his war.. haha
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
01:27:17 PM
Kat Glider GliderMap Visit Kat's Photo Album CO, USA 84 Posts
I thought it was the cutest sound ever the first time my girls barked. I ran to the living room where the cage is and just watched them. My two older girls would bark at eachother as they jump around the cage playing, almost like small children at the park and hearing their laughter. When we added the new addition, Lucy, it just became more comical. My boyfriend and I will sit on the couch and watch tv or a movie and we know when they are about to get up for the night because deep in the ball of fur a muffled bark will arise. Then another. And then some more. :) After a few mins, all three are barking and clicking and soon enough, the bag is empty and we are giggling. :) It's a great time had by all in my house every night! :)
Question
Jan 10 2009
02:57:01 PM
mtb Face Hugger Visit mtb's Photo Album USA 950 Posts
I had just told my daughter that the gliders hadn't barked lately, and sure enough during the night last night one of them barked for a few minutes. I think the barking is cute, but I only have two. I can't imagine what it would be like with several gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
03:43:50 PM
Britt_marie19 Face Hugger Visit Britt_marie19's Photo Album USA 537 Posts
i only have two also.. i dont think i could listen to any more haha..
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
04:05:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by alyanne

Thank you for the advice on checking rescues. Thats exactly what I've been trying to do and if a colony of three is best for laughs, I will keep my eyes open for what I can find.

You should add your city and state to your profile so we know where you are and might be able to help you locate something.
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
04:10:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rita

And like Kazko said, they all stop and freeze in place to listen, sometimes twitching their ears and cocking their heads from side to side...

I didnt want to bring this up because there is no basis for it, but an interesting thing is that animals who do echo-location have to move their heads a bit back and forth or simply move in order to get the 3D/stereo vision from the sounding. Wouldnt it be amazing if we came to learn that our gliders are echo locating?

We all know that possums have bad eyesight which is one of the factors in taming. Wouldnt it be amazing if these little critters had a "bat sense".

Also, I have never noticed barking for any specific reason or in any changed or modified way with the 17 bodies I have been keeping. Even last night I heard a singular bark form the cage of 8 and it was the exact same that was on the recording so I was sure it was the same critter; possibly one of the alpha adults.

All we can do is keep observing and sharing experiences and maybe after some time we will get an honest view of what it all means. This is why we are all here.

Hooray for online community!
Behavior
Jan 10 2009
04:16:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mtb

I can't imagine what it would be like with several gliders.

Well actually, I have never seen more than a few animals barking at once. The worst I think I have come across is maybe one from each cage +1, so maybe four animals barking in a random pattern, sometimes syncing in unison, mostly out of sync. You might equate it to singing. I equate it to showing feathers, prancing, showing off, calling, howling... At least barking is 1000% better to listen to than the piercing sound of cicadas calling out. Oh my, I hate those things. My head is ringing now just thinking about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dommi/2871452667/

http://www.naturesongs.com/cicada1.wav
Night barking...
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Night barking...