Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
putting cages together
putting cages together
Question
Feb 04 2009
07:25:01 PM
I just saw the cute pictures of the cage with the playhouse inside and was wondering - how do you put cages together? Would I just not put the bottom part with the tray together, and zip-tie the edges of the other parts together? It doesn't seem like it'd be that sturdy - I'd love to double mine though, especially before I introduce the second into the home:) Ideas/experience?
Question
Feb 04 2009
09:01:01 PM
bbarton13 Joey GliderMap Visit bbarton13's Photo Album 18 Posts
this is the guy with the two cages put together i had a sum wire and i just wraped it around every couple of inches really tight and it is sturdy
Question
Feb 04 2009
09:24:37 PM
MrsAych Super Glider Visit MrsAych's Photo Album USA 222 Posts
I used zip-ties to combine 2 decent sized bird cages and it worked really well. I slid the bottom of one cage down over the top of the other about 3 or 4 inches and used a bunch of zip-ties. It's sturdy enough, but I'll be replacing it with a bigger cage soon.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 04 2009
09:31:25 PM
lovely1inred Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit lovely1inred's Photo Album 1144 Posts
I'd bet if you go to Home Depot or Lowes and explain your project to someone, they can point you in the right direction for tools and materials. One thing I would say to keep in mind is the type of wire or attachment fastener you use because galvanized metal has to be treated with a vinegar water solution or the residue of the metal treatment can come off on suggie hands, and if food touches it for any amount of time the metal can leach into the food. I'm sure they have J-clips and J-clip pliers, which is what a lot of commercial cages are fastened together with. Beats the heck out of baling wire, lol. :P
Question
Feb 04 2009
10:07:41 PM
Angiescuba Joey Visit Angiescuba's Photo Album 11 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by bbarton13

this is the guy with the two cages put together i had a sum wire and i just wraped it around every couple of inches really tight and it is sturdy

Ok, call me stupid, What the heck is "sum wire"?

ang
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 04 2009
10:57:22 PM
aggieglider Glider Visit aggieglider's Photo Album USA 53 Posts
Angiescuba-
I believe it's shorthand for "some"..i could be wrong though.
Question
Feb 05 2009
04:22:14 AM
bbarton13 Joey GliderMap Visit bbarton13's Photo Album 18 Posts
sorry for my spelling sum=some
Question
Feb 05 2009
09:56:01 AM
THEHYLAND Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit THEHYLAND's Photo Album FL, USA 4774 Posts
Some=sum times we get typing to fast.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 05 2009
02:50:16 PM
lovely1inred Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit lovely1inred's Photo Album 1144 Posts
Sum wire simply adds the cages together on its own, didn't ya know? Tee hee.
Question
Feb 05 2009
04:47:16 PM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Question
Feb 05 2009
05:43:20 PM
tink761 Super Glider GliderMap Visit tink761's Photo Album tink761's Journal WY, USA 210 Posts
dgreco this is my cage that was 2 cages and I made it one cage. I just took one side off each off them then use zip ties to join them together. With on side that I took off I made shelfs for the cage. It was easy to do it. But this gives some ideas how to do it.

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 06 2009
09:46:08 AM
SugarKitty Super Glider Visit SugarKitty's Photo Album 278 Posts
Those are awesome pictures of how you added the two cages together! Nice job!
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 06 2009
09:51:13 AM
tisha Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit tisha's Photo Album tisha's Journal OK, USA 2081 Posts
OOOOH I like that cage!!! OK so those are just bird cages you used???? Or actual suggie cages???? Or what??
Question
Feb 06 2009
02:39:48 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
What a NEAT idea!!! How many gliders do you have in there Tink761?
Question
Feb 07 2009
09:04:35 AM
dgreco Glider 100 Posts
WOW! Thanks everyone, and those ARE awesome cage pics! Mine is pretty wide and deep - it's the height I am concerned with. (I think its about 40 inches) I really need taller - if anyone knows of a good inexpensive site let me know (I know it's not cheap, I just don't need fancy wooden framed ones, know what I mean?) I have money set aside and would like to get a "final" cage to last me a while:) And most importantly to make my babies happy!!!
putting cages together

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
putting cages together