Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2010
03:08:29 AM
Over the weekend I made a horrible mistake, and tonight I am joining as many sugar-glider-related forums as possible to make sure no one makes the same stupid mistake.

Most of you know that toilets are one of the most dangerous things to a sugar glider in your home. If you're smart, you will keep an eye on the glider when they are out of the cage, and if you're smarter, you'll close the toilet lids as an extra precaution.

But, if for some horrible reason you should find your glider in the toilet - don't freak out. I assumed my baby was dead - she was completely rigid, unresponsive and not breathing when I pulled her out of the toilet. I tried rubbing her and pushing her stomach in and talking loudly: nothing. Worst feeling in the world.

But! She wasn't dead. Sugar gliders lack body fat so when they hit semi-cold water they immediately go into shock - which saved her life. It looked as if she was dead, and my boyfriend actually put her in a sack and stuck her on the back porch to keep me from freaking out. But I begged him to keep trying, and I'm so glad I did.

He took her back in, rubbed her in a towel while occasionally blowing hot breath on her, and in about five to ten minutes she grabbed his finger, and slowly starting breathing again. It was quite a miracle, to say the least.

But I couldn't help wondering if this terrible freak accident has happened to others, and if they assumed their glider was dead. Can you imagine if we left her on the back porch and she woke up?

God, a terrible thought. I am hoping to prevent this by sharing my mistake.

If you are unlucky and irresponsible enough as I was (and will NEVER be again) and you happen to find your glider in water, don't assume she is dead, please! Keep her warm and help her circulation. If she makes it, keep her warm for THREE days, and check on her breathing - if it is uneven she may have a respiratory infection, which is easy to treat by visiting your vet.

Don't give up on her!

Best of luck to all you glider lovers.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2010
08:09:58 AM
bobnzoey Face Hugger GliderMap Visit bobnzoey's Photo Album bobnzoey's Journal IL, USA 539 Posts
oh my gosh that is great she was alive! this should make everyone this twice about it! thank you so much for saying this i have never had it happen but if it were to happen i know now that they could still be alive!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2010
01:14:21 PM
filly47 Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit filly47's Photo Album USA 2330 Posts
Thank you so much for shareing! And I am sooooo glad to hear that she is alive! Please tell me that you took her to the vet though! She needs to be looked over just incase!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2010
05:09:49 PM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Wow. Even though it was a terrible mistake to begin with, it's incredible that you didn't give up and she's back with you. What a story. Thank you for sharing it.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2010
05:30:02 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Even I have come near losing a glider in the toilet in the past. It is an all too real possibility for critters that climb and leap.

When I found my sickly brushtail possum dead in her cage, knowing that they can torpor, I went out of my way to move her, shake her, warm her up and so forth for just this reason. Alas, she drowned herself in less than an inch of water as she had a seizure. Her lungs were filled with water and there was no coming back. sigh...

Animals arent easy and it is hard to always think of everything. So for most folks, it's a constant learning and relearning adventure. You have to work hard to protect the ones you love.

Strangely, as far as animal husbandry goes, sugar gliders have been the easiest of any exotic animal I have tried to keep.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2010
09:37:21 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
What a truly incredible story. I'm so glad to hear she made it. Can you keep us updated on how she is doing?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 23 2010
06:59:03 PM
taiyler143 Starting Member 2 Posts
Awww!!! Poor baby. :(
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 25 2010
03:01:25 AM
slakesphere Starting Member 2 Posts
Yes, she and her sister are doing just great!! My boyfriend and I have been completely trained to keep the toilet lids down and bathroom doors shut!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 17 2010
06:13:37 PM
n_castillo Starting Member united states of america 3 Posts
i never remember doin that but that doesint mean it never happened i was like 5 when we had them but on the lighter side 2 more das and i get mine yea
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2010
03:44:46 AM
sugar gliders forever Starting Member 9 Posts
omg! i hope she will be ok!-sugar gliders forever

Edited by - sugar gliders forever on Jul 08 2010 03:46:34 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2010
07:54:54 AM
thefotokat Glider 177 Posts
I'm glad there was a happy ending. Like Filly said, please take her and her sister to the vet right away. The bacteria in the toilet can quickly cause an infection, either through the water that was respirated or through any cuts in the skin or penetration into mucous membranes.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2010
09:38:28 AM
dpatters28 Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit dpatters28's Photo Album USA 3134 Posts
This happened back in March. A month later the glider was doing fine, so I'm sure all is well. Though I wouldn't mind another update from the OP letting us know how her gliders are doing.
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!