Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What age for neutering?????????
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 13 2010
08:52:51 AM
So my little babies that are 2 weeks OOP are boys, at what age can i get them neutered?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
09:26:49 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
09:30:36 AM
kristy11 Glider Visit kristy11's Photo Album Canada 148 Posts
Thank you Kyro :)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
09:44:04 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
No problem :)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
12:32:34 PM
Farns Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Farns's Photo Album USA 842 Posts
Our vet wanted them to be at least six months OOP but Max was five I think and she still did him. Had the laser neuter with poms off and kept the boys in a smaller hospital cage for a few days to allow them to heal and keep a closer eye on them. They all did well.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
12:54:16 PM
So that means i can only neuter them in September....thats when they r 6 months OOP.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 13 2010
01:34:47 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
That also means you will have to separate them from any females around 12-14 weeks oop. They have been known to mate that young.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
01:46:50 PM
really
???
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
01:49:09 PM
So in july i have to put the babies in a separate cage, cause i have the father, the mother and 2 baby boys...
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
02:13:08 PM
I've never one time, on this site, contradicted anything a vet said, but that's the first time I've ever heard a vet say to wait 6 months. I've had 3 males neutered but I had one of mine done at 16 weeks because he had a bald spot and was sexually developing...meaning, he could father a joey. I didn't want to separate him from everyone else. He was very bonded to them and I wasn't going to do that to him. I had another done at 12 weeks as have many, many others. I did that because I refused to separate him from his colony as well but also didn't want to chance inbreeding. I highly recommend calling your own vet and asking. I personally think waiting until 6 months is irresponsible-especially if he becomes a dad. No one has to get all up in arms because I don't agree. No, I'm not a vet but have been around here long enough to KNOW that that is not common practice. If he did happen to become sexually mature before the neuter, it will be their mother's joey(s) and that in itself is a whole separate world of problems.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2010
05:16:30 PM
our2girlz Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit our2girlz's Photo Album United States 2362 Posts
Different vets are going to have different opinions about the age. I would just take into consideration the advice you are given here from experienced owners and also call your vet and see what the say. If they coincide go for it.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 14 2010
12:31:10 AM
Farns Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Farns's Photo Album USA 842 Posts
Kristy, Kyro, I just stated what our vet was asking. I have no problem with your response as we are here to offer any info we have to help others with taking care of their Gliders. I will ask the vet about this the next time I talk to her and find out why. Kristy, as both Kyro and our2girlz have stated, please call your vet and find out what their recommendation is. No matter what, enjoy the little ones!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders