Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
UPDATE (at bottom of thread) HELP!! Internal bleeding?
Next |
Page: of 2
Health related
Jun 02 2010
02:33:09 AM
This afternoon, Sweetness woke up like usually, and came out to play for a bit. Everything was fine and the cage and pouch were clean. Just now I heard he waking up to eat so I stuck my in her pouch and pet her a bit giving a little massage. To my surprise I pulled my hand out and it was covered in what looked like a melted strawberry yogie and blood. I freaked out and pulled her and the pouch out of the cage. Her pouch was covered in a dry residue and her tail was matted with red feces. I have a picture of it which I will include below, and I'm going to take her to the vet A.S.A.P. in the mean time does ANYONE have a clue as to what could be causing this??? Please help.

The only thing I've did out of the ordinary last night was give her all watermelon for her serving of fruits and veggies because I ran out of a variety. I bought more fruits and veggies today. I also forgot to mention that the fecal matter has a horrible smell, to the point where I almost threw up.

Edited by - KuroNeko on Jun 02 2010 06:50:20 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
02:40:55 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know. Foul smell is often due to infection. All I can say is VET! I know you already said a.s.a.p. but this is extremely urgent.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
02:43:10 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
I know it is. I'm really freaking out right now... I've already lost Squeakums to trauma.. I can't lose Sweetness too... She was my first glider...
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
02:45:56 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Do you have an emergency vet? If not, you should call your vet and talk to whoever is on call at least. Please don't wait.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
02:48:44 AM
Love2Read Joey 41 Posts
The color might be from the watermelon, but the texture doesn't look good at all and glider poo shouldn't smell. If it smells it could be either from stomach upset or a parasite. Giardia, for example, will cause smelly, soft/watery poo.

Do you normally feed watermelon or is it something you rarely do? Also, did you feed anything else "new" last night? Lastly, is that the normal consistency of her poo or is is normally firm?

Definitely get a vet check done and don't forget to bring in a fresh poo sample! Hopefully it's just a tummy upset and nothing serious. ~crossing fingers~
Health related
Jun 02 2010
02:56:13 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Love2Read

The color might be from the watermelon, but the texture doesn't look good at all and glider poo shouldn't smell. If it smells it could be either from stomach upset or a parasite. Giardia, for example, will cause smelly, soft/watery poo.

Do you normally feed watermelon or is it something you rarely do? Also, did you feed anything else "new" last night? Lastly, is that the normal consistency of her poo or is is normally firm?

Definitely get a vet check done and don't forget to bring in a fresh poo sample! Hopefully it's just a tummy upset and nothing serious. ~crossing fingers~

I recently started offering her watermelon this week, but that's all that has been new. As far as the consistency of the feces.... No, it's usually firm and looks similar to that of a rats, only larger and a tad softer.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
04:44:14 AM
Love2Read Joey 41 Posts
I give my gliders papaya and it'll sometimes turn their poo reddish. I feed watermelon as well, when it's in season, and it would give them red poo sometimes as well. However, the poo was always firm and well-formed and it didn't stink.

The smell would definitely worry me.

Even if the fecal check is negative and normal, I'd recommend taking in another fecal sample in about 2 weeks. Parasites often shed in cycles and you have to test multiple times to catch them.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
09:30:12 AM
Update? I've fed watermelon twice this week with no issues. I'd also be very concerned with the smell.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
10:10:57 AM
Novrain Joey Visit Novrain's Photo Album 10 Posts
Look closely it looks like it could have been a baby. Look at the lower left corner it is shaped like a head and you can almost make out an ear.

I dont know...hope all is well

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
10:16:11 AM
She has no male cagemate, so no pregnancy possible.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
10:55:19 AM
Sugar Mama Face Hugger Visit Sugar Mama's Photo Album Sugar Mama's Journal FL, USA 603 Posts
I have fed watermelon a few times a week for the past 2 or 3 weeks and I do not think watermelon would have done this.

I also think an infection of some kind. I hope everything is okay KuroNeko! Let us know what the vet says?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
11:30:54 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
Keep coming back here every few minutes to check for an update.

Hoping all is well.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
11:53:50 AM
filly47 Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit filly47's Photo Album USA 2330 Posts
I will pray for you and your baby!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
11:56:49 AM
fergline Super Glider Visit fergline's Photo Album USA 317 Posts
all the best wishes for you and your baby...

...no other word, that sucks :(
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
12:12:20 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I have had various marsupials and it appears to be common for them to get mammary tumors. I dont think this is one, but if it were, she would have ripped it out of her belly which is very sad, but probably on par with glider self mutilation.

Health related
Jun 02 2010
12:55:16 PM
Sugar Mama Face Hugger Visit Sugar Mama's Photo Album Sugar Mama's Journal FL, USA 603 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Kazko

I have had various marsupials and it appears to be common for them to get mammary tumors. I dont think this is one, but if it were, she would have ripped it out of her belly which is very sad, but probably on par with glider self mutilation.

How common is something like that and have you seen other types of animals do something similar?
Health related
Jun 02 2010
02:09:46 PM
Raenstoirm Super Glider 369 Posts
quote:

All I can say there, I'm glad I have boys!

As for the pressing matter, that is not dangerous internal bleeding if it is blood. Ulcers and other dangerous internal bleeding will be BLACK by the time it gets out the other end. Fresh blood is pink like that. If it is blood coming from her bowels it would be from her anus or close to the opening. This could still be very serious, but her actually stomach isnt damaged by what I see in that pic.

Good luck at the vet.
Health related
Jun 02 2010
06:47:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raenstoirm

quote:

All I can say there, I'm glad I have boys!

As for the pressing matter, that is not dangerous internal bleeding if it is blood. Ulcers and other dangerous internal bleeding will be BLACK by the time it gets out the other end. Fresh blood is pink like that. If it is blood coming from her bowels it would be from her anus or close to the opening. This could still be very serious, but her actually stomach isnt damaged by what I see in that pic.

Good luck at the vet.

The pic above is from Kazko, not myself. I only submitted the first pic up top.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
06:49:25 PM
UPDATE: Clean bill of health. Took her to the vet, vet said she was healthy and that it was probably just too much watermelon.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
06:59:59 PM
Really? And it made her poo look like that?! SO strange!

I am so glad she is okay KuroNeko!

What did he say about her pouch?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
07:00:41 PM
Wow! That's really hard to believe! That picture looks quite gory!

You must be so relieved that's all it is! Thank goodness! I've been worried about her ever since I read this thread!
Health related
Jun 02 2010
07:34:49 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by KuroNeko

UPDATE: Clean bill of health. Took her to the vet, vet said she was healthy and that it was probably just too much watermelon.

Did you take the thing you took a picture of to the vet too?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
07:45:44 PM
What about the smell that made you gag? Is her poop back to normal now?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
08:17:27 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
What exactly did the vet do...?

Were any tests done?
Health related
Jun 02 2010
08:18:30 PM
Sugar Mama:
The picture with the pouch/sore is from Kazko, not myself.

Catman:
Yes, I took it with me and showed the vet, but the coloration was pretty dark by the time I got it to her.

Kyro:
The vet said to still keep a close eye on her tonight just in case and that she would give me a call in the morning to check up on her.

WintersSong:
She did a full over examination and a fecal smear/float. She also questioned me like crazy.

Edited by - KuroNeko on Jun 02 2010 08:21:31 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
08:32:22 PM
Sounds pretty thorough.

Definitely strange!

I hope you don't think people here are questioning YOUR judgment! We are all just really concerned for your glider, and sometimes vets don't do a good job with gliders. However, it sounds like your vet was on top of the regular exam stuff.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
08:48:25 PM
Yes, I second that...you took her to the vet and that's all you can do! We're just nosey and inquisitive. LOL
Health related
Jun 02 2010
09:09:52 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the vet has to say about this. I know we dont have to ask you to share the findings. Hopefully, the vet will find nothing wrong...
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
09:26:29 PM
They already went to the vet today and the results are above.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 02 2010
09:41:54 PM
Yes, I knew the 2nd pic was Kazko's :o)- but you had mentioned originally that there was some dried stuff on her pouch area- was that from her running through her own fecals ?
Health related
Jun 02 2010
11:06:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Mama

Yes, I knew the 2nd pic was Kazko's :o)- but you had mentioned originally that there was some dried stuff on her pouch area- was that from her running through her own fecals ?

Her tail and side were matted in feces

One thing I was pleased to hear that the Vet was insistent on, was me getting a cagemate. She repeatedly asked in several ways whether or not I was actively searching for a cagemate because regardless if Sweetness appears happy, she would be happier if she was with another. What I did find odd was that she expected me to bring my 3ft tall cage in... After I scheduled the appt. the lady on the phone called back and told me told bring my cage and and some food. I found it odd but then figured it was so they could get her to eat to get a fecal sample. I ended up bringing my travel cage (the dimensions 18in H x 13in W x 10.5in L). Upon seeing the travel cage and not my large cage, she was rather displeased. She said she wanted to see the cage she lives in to examine the environment.... Now my boyfriend drives a civic... and most of us have cages larger than 3ft, how could she expect me to bring such a large cage to the vet???

This picture below includes everything I brought with me: cage, water, pouch, bonding pouch, travel bag with her food bowl, some fruit, and yogies, and the sample of the fecal from above pic inside.

To be noted. This cage is used mainly for when I am cleaning out her large cage and for travel on a rare occasion if needed.

Edited by - KuroNeko on Jun 02 2010 11:20:10 PM
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders