Sugar Gliders
Look what Can happen with a Bad diet. :(
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11
Food, Diet
May 25 2013
08:05:41 AM
alohaglider Super Glider GliderMap Visit alohaglider's Photo Album alohaglider's Journal NV, USA 248 Posts
Glad to hear she is all better! That is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in a glider. My first thought was that she was very obese. Then to find out it was air. Wow. Good thing your vet knew what to do.

You should post this on The Sweet Spot and see if anyone there has ever heard of this before.

Edited by - alohaglider on May 25 2013 08:08:01 AM
Food, Diet
May 25 2013
12:50:07 PM
kittygirl28 Super Glider GliderMap Visit kittygirl28's Photo Album USA 229 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by thinkadam

This is my rescued glider spice. Dont know why this happened to her.

We had to suck the air out of her joints. Than i had to force feed her baby gasex because she started mouth breathing and it was creating bubbles around her organs for a week. And hand feed her. She is all better and back to her normal self. Still no idea why it happened.

That looks like an allergic reaction to something, I had a friend that happened too. She had eaten something that had caused the same reaction, maybe she ate something caused it.
Food, Diet
May 28 2013
02:10:53 AM
sugarcatpaws Joey Visit sugarcatpaws's Photo Album AB, CA 24 Posts
Poor lil guys.
Food, Diet
May 28 2013
02:11:56 AM
sugarcatpaws Joey Visit sugarcatpaws's Photo Album AB, CA 24 Posts
Poor lil guys.
Food, Diet
Feb 06 2014
02:51:35 AM
Pinky Joey Visit Pinky's Photo Album WV, USA 25 Posts
Hi guys. I want to say what a great forum this is. very informative and friendly. I'm a new glider mommy. 2 girls half sisters (same dad different moms). Caireann 4 months oop, Tanlyn 2 months oop. Anyway, i want what's best for my babies. We are huge animal lovers at my house. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, a quaker parrot,a rabbit, and a gecko. Most rescues. So I've been stalking your forum since December. I choose the Priscilla Price diet because it was the easiest for me to follow given I'm diabetic and have most of those foods in the house always anyway. My girls have been home since Sat and started the PP diet right away. B4 they were fed pellets with fresh fruits veggies and baby foods. They seem to be crabbier, as in really biting and crabbing more today than they have been. So question is should i have kept them on pellets with the new diet for awhile or do you think its just their adjustment to a new home food and family. (they did come from a home with birds dogs and cats.) And odd there anyone else who uses the PP diet that has suggestions?

Food, Diet
Feb 06 2014
08:55:09 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You might want to re-post this under a new topic to get more responses from others using Priscilla' diet.

Generally it takes gliders a few days in a new home to adjust and eat well. It also take most gliders a few days to learn to enjoy ANY new diet.

Give them some time to settle in and get used to their new home and new diet to see if they are eating well.

If you are using Priscilla Price's diet - be sure to purchase the specific blend of vitamins and calcium she sells that is necessary to balance this feeding plan.

http://www.thepetglider.com/sugar-glider-nutrition/product/17-the-pet-glider-complete-multi-vitamins-with-calcium-180.html
Food, Diet
Feb 06 2014
03:33:38 PM
Yep using the vitamins. Thanks for a response. Hope to learn lots more from you guys to keep my girls happy and healthy.
Research Information
Feb 14 2014
10:25:05 PM
zeusismyboy309 Starting Member 2 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by dpatters28

Here is a picture of Chester when I first got him in May. The people before me only had him a short time, but they were feeding him pellets, fruit fluff and cheetohs.

Here is a picture of Chester I just took an hour ago. He's been on the HPW diet since I got him.

what is the HPW diet???????/
Food, Diet
Feb 14 2014
11:32:56 PM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
Another staple that you can choose to feed your Glders. You pick one staple and feed it along with f/v. Other staples are BML, LGRS, GliderKids, HPW. There are 3 types of HPW: Original, Complete, Plus. There is also a "HPW Instant." Personally, I use the Original and many people recommend/use it out of the others. The Staples are what provides many of the nutrients (protein, calcium, and so on) in the Gliders' diet.
Food, Diet
Feb 15 2014
03:34:10 PM
baconbabe2008 Joey GliderMap Visit baconbabe2008's Photo Album 32 Posts
This is Omaha I rescued her a week ago The previous owner said she had here for a month and had her on bml and she had paired with a male but she wouldn't breed so she got rid of her, she is 4 years and 7 months, I'm not sure where she got the sore from the male trying to mate with her

Edited by - baconbabe2008 on Feb 15 2014 03:37:26 PM
Food, Diet
Feb 15 2014
03:53:59 PM
MoMo MaMa Face Hugger GliderMap Visit MoMo MaMa's Photo Album TX, USA 914 Posts
Aw, that poor baby is really overweight :/
Food, Diet
Feb 16 2014
10:14:07 AM
gliderlove22 Glider Visit gliderlove22's Photo Album gliderlove22's Journal USA 124 Posts
Both of my little girls were on pellets before i got them. By the first day Cinder let me hold her and she was the sweetest little girl ever even though her old owner never took her out and she was fed nasty dry pellets. (THe owner gave me the leftovers he had) She gobbled her Priscilla price food down in the first night! Noel also ate her food right up! But, because of bad diets, malnutrition and many other factors, my babies died last weekend. I miss them so much. It is very important to have a good diet!
Food, Diet
Feb 16 2014
11:14:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gliderlove22

Both of my little girls were on pellets before i got them. By the first day Cinder let me hold her and she was the sweetest little girl ever even though her old owner never took her out and she was fed nasty dry pellets. (THe owner gave me the leftovers he had) She gobbled her Priscilla price food down in the first night! Noel also ate her food right up! But, because of bad diets, malnutrition and many other factors, my babies died last weekend. I miss them so much. It is very important to have a good diet!

Aw gliderlove22, i'm so sorry about ur babies but i'm glad they found real love n the end. do u have other gliders?
Food, Diet
Mar 06 2014
03:21:12 PM
dijana Joey Visit dijana's Photo Album 15 Posts
poor babies

First od all THANK you so much for this forum! It is amazing!!!

I am feeding my girl with HPW, fresh, organic fruits and vegetable, organic chicken and organic eggs (no shell). Also I am adding vitamins every other day (I sprinkle them on her fruit). Her fur doesn't look so nice, maybe because I have heating rock in her cage (covered with blanket) so I just want to add BML to her diet. I have couple of question:
*if she Is on BML do I need to give her vitamins?
*in stand of chicken baby food can I put cooked chicken (baby food has sodium in it)?
*can I feed her with both HPW and BML?

I looove her sooo much and I want what is best for her! She was a gift from my friend and I have her for a year now .
Thanks for your help.

p.s. do you wash them with baby shampoo (I sow the video online and just want to check with you)

Food, Diet
Mar 06 2014
07:58:53 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
You should never have to bathe your glider. I visited a vet...Tim Tristan a few years ago that said if you must bathe, use a very mild dish soap such as Dawn.
quote:
Originally posted by dijana

poor babies

I am feeding my girl with HPW, fresh, organic fruits and vegetable, organic chicken and organic eggs (no shell). Also I am adding vitamins every other day (I sprinkle them on her fruit). Her fur doesn't look so nice, maybe because I have heating rock in her cage (covered with blanket) so I just want to add BML to her diet. I have couple of question:
*in stand of chicken baby food can I put cooked chicken (baby food has sodium in it)?

I looove her sooo much and I want what is best for her! She was a gift from my friend and I have her for a year now .
Thanks for your help.

p.s. do you wash them with baby shampoo (I sow the video online and just want to check with you)

Food, Diet
Mar 06 2014
11:17:26 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
quote:

poor babies

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to GG and congrats on joining the glider slaves!

Which HPW version/diet are you using?

With the HPW or the BML you should not bee adding any vitamins or supplements unless you are following a recipe that calls for it. It is very dangerous to give those, you could very easily overdose your glider.

When you say you are feeding chicken and eggs...you mean you are blending them in the diet or as side dishes?
Too much protein is also very bad for gliders, their kidneys can not process that much protein.

How old is you glider? Unless she is 6 weeks or younger(being a hand raised rejected joey) they do not need a heat source and heat rocks are very dangerous. If she has a safe fleece pouch(hidden close stitched seems) and another glider to snuggle with is the best thing for her.

OmisGma is correct...you should never bathe a glider unless they are very sick and can not groom them selves, and then they must be wiped clean and thoroughly dried, never submerged or soaked in water.
Food, Diet
Mar 07 2014
11:29:19 AM
Thank you so much for your replays

She is a year old and I was giving her a chicken/eggs 2-3 times per week.

That day I wold give her just peace of chicken or egg, fresh fruits and vegetables.She looks happy, she is playing, eating and drinking.
I wipe her tail with unscented baby wipes when she "makes a mess"
I am using instant HPW from exotic nutrition.
Hope I didn't harm her

Food, Diet
Mar 08 2014
11:03:13 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
quote:

Thank you so much for your replays

She is a year old and I was giving her a chicken/eggs 2-3 times per week.

That day I wold give her just peace of chicken or egg, fresh fruits and vegetables.She looks happy, she is playing, eating and drinking.
I wipe her tail with unscented baby wipes when she "makes a mess"
I am using instant HPW from exotic nutrition.
Hope I didn't harm her

An un-scented babywipe won't harm her if it was just one time, but their fur is plush and can get wet by the skin and be hard to get them dry and they can catch a chill. She should be able to clean herself or there may be something going on with her that a vet check may be in order.

If she is on the Instant HPW...does it have egg and protein in it?

I'm pretty sure it does already and if so you do not really need to give her the extra chicken or egg.

If you want to do a "Junk food" night off her Instant HPW, then just feed her 1 Tablespoon of the egg or 1 Tablespoon of the chicken but along with the 2 tablespoons of fruit and veggies for that night.

I will do a "night off" about once a month where they will get chicken or eggs. I wouldn't do it that often(2-3 times a week) just because all of the vitamin and calcium supplement is in their Original HPW(I use modified with added calcium)and they would miss getting their complete vitamins and minerals then.
Food, Diet
Mar 09 2014
10:42:13 AM
Using even "unscented" baby wipes to clean your glider may only reduce the glider's grooming.

Gliders use their tongues to groom their fur. Just because the baby wipes are "unscented" and contain no perfumes does not mean they do not contain other CHEMICALS - read the label - Would you want to lick any of those chemicals off your own body?

The wipes may just cause gliders to reduce their own grooming of their fur.

If there is something sticky in their fur, use a washcloth with warm water that has been wrung out so it is just barely DAMP - not dripping wet.
Food, Diet
Mar 10 2014
12:29:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

Just because the baby wipes are "unscented" and contain no perfumes does not mean they do not contain other CHEMICALS - read the label - Would you want to lick any of those chemicals off your own body?

Everything that we use contains chemicals - No need to be harsh ;)
I am just trying to do the right thing and that is the reason why I asked for your opinion.

Thanks!

Edited by - dijana on Mar 10 2014 12:37:20 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 11 2014
12:08:40 AM
Sorry if you found my comment harsh. It was not meant to be.

I was just trying to point out that gliders groom themselves and putting anything on them that may leave a chemical residue behind - even if it is unscented - may cause the glider to NOT GROOM itself well because of the taste of the chemical. It probably would not harm the glider, but may discourage the glider from grooming - compounding the problem.
Food, Diet
Sep 04 2014
04:32:53 PM
Bumping Up for New Members
Food, Diet
Sep 04 2014
06:25:04 PM
rubyandcookie Joey Visit rubyandcookie's Photo Album 36 Posts
I have my two girl on the bml diet and they get 25/25 of fruits veggies and 50 of the bml diet... would you that's good or should I change?
Information
Sep 04 2014
10:30:58 PM
quote:
I have my two girl on the bml diet and they get 25/25 of fruits veggies and 50 of the bml diet... would you that's good or should I change?

They should be getting 1 TBS per glider of the BML staple plus 1 TBS frozen mixed Vegetables (peas, corn, carrots and green beans) and 1 TBS fruit - chosen from those allowed on the BML feeding plan which are: apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, frozen pitted cherries and blueberries.

The limited choice of fruit and the frozen mixed vegetables are necessary with the BML staple to provide enough phosphorus to balance the amount of calcium supplement in the BML recipe.

Here are the original instructions for BML

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html

If you have additional questions about glider diets, please start a new topic so your questions do not get lost in this long thread.
Food, Diet
Sep 04 2014
10:59:34 PM
LooneyTuni Joey Visit LooneyTuni's Photo Album 30 Posts
This post terrifies me. I've wanted sugar gliders ever since I was a little girl. After researching and trying to prepare, I finally got my pair of gliders on Sunday. The person we got them from kept them in a cage that's too small (we're upgrading SOON), and their diet consisted of some dry-looking pellets, some unknown mix in a Ziploc bag that looks like trail mix and smells like dog food, baby food, baby cereal, fruit juice, and a pinch of calcium every now and then. Immediately, I put them on the BML diet. I'm waiting for my insectivore fare to come, so I have to skip group 1 for the time being. I made Leadbeater's mixture, but I only had the honey, water, baby cereal, shelled egg, and calcium on hand- no vitamins. I've also fed them mixed vegetables (frozen- peas, green beans, corn, and carrots), fresh vegetables (sweet potato, broccoli, and again- carrots). I tried to give frozen fruit (thawed, of course) that included raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries, and they didn't like the tartness. They definitely enjoyed the apple, though. I also got the "Yogies" brand yogurt drops, and they get 2 of those daily. I'm so scared that I'm going to do something wrong, and mess them up for life!
Food, Diet
Sep 04 2014
11:09:44 PM
quote:
Immediately, I put them on the BML diet. I'm waiting for my insectivore fare to come, so I have to skip group 1 for the time being. I made Leadbeater's mixture, but I only had the honey, water, baby cereal, shelled egg, and calcium on hand- no vitamins. I've also fed them mixed vegetables (frozen- peas, green beans, corn, and carrots), fresh vegetables (sweet potato, broccoli, and again- carrots). I tried to give frozen fruit (thawed, of course) that included raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries,

BML is a very specific recipe and should be followed as written.

Here is the web page with the specific instructions. Be sure to stick with the frozen mixed vegetables and only offer the fruits allowed on this feeding plan which are apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, frozen pitted cherries and blueberries.

Food, Diet
Sep 04 2014
11:21:49 PM
LooneyTuni Joey Visit LooneyTuni's Photo Album 30 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

BML is a very specific recipe and should be followed as written.

Here is the web page with the specific instructions. Be sure to stick with the frozen mixed vegetables and only offer the fruits allowed on this feeding plan which are apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, frozen pitted cherries and blueberries.

Apparently, I am half-blind, or just an idiot. I got what I thought was the BML diet from peteducation.com. After I looked at the link you posted, I realized it looked similar to "my" BML, but there were some HUGE differences. So, I referred back to the diet I used, and lo-and-behold, the fine print. "This diet is a compilation of several diets, provides variety, and is nutritionally sound". Geez. Thank you!
Pictures
Sep 13 2014
03:10:52 PM
LexiGlider Glider Visit LexiGlider's Photo Album IL, USA 58 Posts

Winnie when we first got her the 23rd of August.

She was bought from PovketPets in North Dakota as a lone glider for five years. We haven't had her long and I'm not to sure she has changed much as she is only 21 days into her 30 watching period. But I know she is less frightened when we put a fleece blanket or pouch in that smells like my other females.

She was feed eggs and a bee pollen mix with water all her life. They said she ate dried meal worms, crickets, and yogurt. She ate apples, sweet potatoes, and avocado. I am not sure what exactly he feed her each day this is all I was told about.

Edited by - LexiGlider on Sep 13 2014 03:19:32 PM
Food, Diet
Nov 03 2014
10:02:21 AM
mommyloveshermeeko Starting Member 1 Posts
I'm new to the glider owning, just got my first glider a week ago. His name is Meeko. Did tons of research before i got him. But can anyone give me any tips on a good diet for them? Right now i feed Meeko meal worms, apples, blueberries and pears so far.
Food, Diet
Nov 03 2014
10:17:29 AM
Welcome to the forum and to glider parent hood.

quote:
Right now i feed Meeko meal worms, apples, blueberries and pears so far.

You might want to start a NEW topic to get more information on feeding and general care of your new glider.

Your glider needs a much better source of protein and a wide variety of FRUITS AND VEGETABLES daily.

There is no one best diet for gliders but there are several that have proven themselves over years of use maintaining happy and healthy gliders. I have links on my web page to several of these widely used glider diets to help you locate the information. My own GliderKids Feeding plan is one of the options you might consider.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

These diets each have a nectar like staple that will provide the protein, vitamins and calcium your glider needs daily. The staple is fed with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to create a balanced feeding.

Look these diets over and choose the one you feel will work best for you and your glider. Feel free to start a topic to ask questions if you need help making a choice.
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders