Look what Can happen with a Bad diet. :(
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
07:31:36 AM
renee14150 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit renee14150's Photo Album 1850 Posts
BML is actually a good diet - if you go up to gliderpedia and select diets, you can read all the diets there. Also go to Gliderkids.com - select Links and Feeding Plans - you'll find more there as well:)
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
11:53:37 AM
amanda8111993 Glider Visit amanda8111993's Photo Album 104 Posts
i get two neverous when giving them new veggies, because everytime i look them up i found out somthing bad about them. Any tips on when types of veggies to give them? I was also told baby food isnt good for them and a lot of the BML diets and stuff call for baby food.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
01:35:54 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Amanda, if you open a new topic with your diet questions it will get more discussion as this topic is meant as a reference so folks can see the results of very poor diets.

I'll go a head and answer part of your questions.

The feeding plans I have included on my web page have all been used by many owners for many years. You will find folks have varying opinions on each of these diets.

http://www.gliderkids.com/contact.html

The baby foods called for as ingredients in diets like BML and my GliderKids Staple recipes are all OK for gliders. The baby foods to avoid are the multiple ingredient types that often contain seasonings gliders do not need or have very little protein so they should not be feed as a main part of a glider's diet.

With most feeding plans you can feed a very wide variety of fruits and vegetables. BML only allows frozen mixed vegetables and a few fruits.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
07:41:00 PM
karensink Face Hugger GliderMap Visit karensink's Photo Album 802 Posts
wow Candy, when you put that link up to gliderkids, i realized that you were the one that i got that cool carrier from last year. i gave it to someone at the vets office that didn't have anything to carry her gliders in. i need to get another one for me!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
08:24:34 PM
I'll be happy to make you another GliderKid Carrier when ever you want Karen.
Food, Diet
Jan 10 2013
08:34:45 PM
That single zipper one you have on sale will work just fine, hope you still have it next payday!
Food, Diet
Jan 10 2013
09:00:10 PM
i don't know how to upload a video, but here is the info for it on youtube. this is a glider that had only been fed almonds for 2 years. the rocking back and forth is him trying to walk. he had never been handled, didn't even have a pouch. missing hair on his tail.

Error, missing URL. e
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
09:40:22 PM
GliderLove94 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit GliderLove94's Photo Album GliderLove94's Journal 1153 Posts
That's so sad.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2013
02:36:18 PM
Darbi91 Glider 83 Posts
This article makes me feel a little better....

I had a female glider that I rescued from a woman that had been feeding her only chicken out of a can and pellets. I was appaled!

I put her on BML with fresh fruits and veggies and proteins and she perked up immediantly. However, after about a month I went to feed her one day and she was dead.... I had no idea what had happened!

Now I'm thinking the damage from her previous owners diet may have already been too great...
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2013
02:56:36 PM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
Ohh thats awful. Yeah, it sounds like the damage was already done before you took her in. Poor girl, I bet she was grateful of the effort you went to for her though. It's such a shame that such irresponsible people get their hands on pets like these. Not only for the animals but for the people who take them in who actually care for them. Sorry to hear about that :(
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2013
03:29:51 PM
Darbi91 Glider 83 Posts
Thanks. She was a sweetie! Her name was Suga Mama. :)

My other glider is a young male joey so he is still a little spastic and hasn't bonded yet. Suga Mama was calm immediantly and would let me pet her and would sit on my shoulder. I miss her.
Food, Diet
Jan 22 2013
12:00:14 PM
rubytews Glider NC, USA 114 Posts
so what should i be feeding mine i am feeding pellets but im also feeding fruits and veg's to
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2013
12:05:07 PM
Ruby, pellets should not be a primary part of any glider's diet.

I have links to the most frequently used glider feeding plans on my web page. Look over the information on each of the diets and choose one that you would like to feed your glider.

http://www.gliderkids.com/contact.html

All of the staple recipes used in these feeding plans also call for 1 TBS fruit and 1 TBS vegetables to be fed daily.

Here is a printable list of fruits and vegetable you can use. Fresh or frozen are fine.

http://www.gliderkids.com/FruitVegLIST2011.pdf

If you have questions about a specific feeding plan, start a new topic so your questions do not get lost in this long thread.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2013
02:27:44 PM
asmerella Super Glider GliderMap Visit asmerella's Photo Album 300 Posts
I'm in the process of switching my babies to an approved diet...I am giving them LGRS suggie soup and veggies and fruit...Hope I'm doing it right. My older glider is getting cracked fur a little bit and i think its from the winter weather and where I tried reeps before I put them both on LGRS...How long should I wait before I start seeing improvement in her fur...Will be taking them both to the vet in 2 weeks...Just want to be informed when I get there.
Food, Diet
Jan 22 2013
02:41:34 PM
bschuettler Face Hugger Visit bschuettler's Photo Album bschuettler's Journal USA 406 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by asmerella

I'm in the process of switching my babies to an approved diet...I am giving them LGRS suggie soup and veggies and fruit...Hope I'm doing it right. My older glider is getting cracked fur a little bit and i think its from the winter weather and where I tried reeps before I put them both on LGRS...How long should I wait before I start seeing improvement in her fur...Will be taking them both to the vet in 2 weeks...Just want to be informed when I get there.

It depends. It could take a few months. Because of the weather I started to see fur cracking. I got a humidifier for Christmas for the glider room and it has helped a lot. It's only been a month and it's not a full improvement, but I have noticed that their fur looks a lot better than it did before.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 22 2013
05:05:07 PM
Asmerella - the LGRS feeding plan requires additional protein to be fed with the soup in addition to the fruits and vegetables.

Here is the full feeding plan and detailed suggestions for full meals for your gliders

http://files.meetup.com/768852/LGRSSuggieSoup.pdf
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 26 2013
10:53:01 AM
asmerella Super Glider GliderMap Visit asmerella's Photo Album 300 Posts
Thank u candy
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 28 2013
08:14:19 PM
Mimzyglider Joey 24 Posts
I don't get what wrong with some of these?!
Food, Diet
Jan 28 2013
08:26:15 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Mimzyglider

like which ones? all of the before pictures have gliders with cracked/stained/missing fur.
Food, Diet
Jan 28 2013
08:59:36 PM
Mimzyglider Joey 24 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Mimzyglider

like which ones? all of the before pictures have gliders with cracked/stained/missing fur.

Yea with the cracked fur or stained fur what's so bad about it?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 28 2013
09:10:31 PM
Badly stained, brown fur is often a sign that the glider is not getting the nutrients needed to remain healthy. Badly cracked fur can also be a sign of a poor diet.

Look at the 'before' and after photos to see the changes that occur when gliders are switched to a better diet.

A healthy glider will have smooth even fur. Classic grey gliders will be a silvery grey color with out any brown coloration. Very few gliders are really the brown color seen in some of the before photos in this thread.
Food, Diet
Mar 16 2013
03:20:28 PM
helenmac Glider Visit helenmac's Photo Album 133 Posts
Here as a recent "after" photo of Tate (now back to her original name of Bindee) She still walks like Charlie Chaplin but can now jump and run
I hope i manage to post the photo OK, not very good at it

Edited by - helenmac on Mar 16 2013 03:27:09 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 16 2013
03:28:40 PM
helenmac Glider Visit helenmac's Photo Album 133 Posts
This is the first ever photo i took of her

Food, Diet
May 21 2013
11:14:22 PM
Off10h8ed Glider GliderMap Visit Off10h8ed's Photo Album 55 Posts
I got my first pair of gliders about 4 months ago. Very good condition, healthy fur, clean bill of health from the vet. Easy transition.

I just got three more that I rescued on Sunday, the cage was so filthy there was a waxy buildup of urine and fecal matter on everything, including the wheel, pouches AND gliders. They were being fed mainly pellets with guacamole (with onion) and fruits and veggies occasionally. I cannot get pictures yet and they are still really scared but their fur is dirty and cracked. I have since put them on the Suncoast diet with mealies AND IN A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT. As soon as I can coax them out I will snap a few pictures. I was so disgusted when I picked them up. I wanted to cry. We are getting them to peek out a bit for their mealies. Baby steps... We go to the vet Thursday.
Food, Diet
May 21 2013
11:24:21 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I'm so glad you have them now. Was their pouch pretty dirty too? That can also affect the fur as well as a crummy diet.
quote:
Originally posted by Off10h8ed

I got my first pair of gliders about 4 months ago. Very good condition, healthy fur, clean bill of health from the vet. Easy transition.

I just got three more that I rescued on Sunday, the cage was so filthy there was a waxy buildup of urine and fecal matter on everything, including the wheel, pouches AND gliders. They were being fed mainly pellets with guacamole (with onion) and fruits and veggies occasionally. I cannot get pictures yet and they are still really scared but their fur is dirty and cracked. I have since put them on the Suncoast diet with mealies AND IN A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT. As soon as I can coax them out I will snap a few pictures. I was so disgusted when I picked them up. I wanted to cry. We are getting them to peek out a bit for their mealies. Baby steps... We go to the vet Thursday.

Food, Diet
May 22 2013
01:59:03 PM
EVERYTHING was "gummy" with bodily fluids and food particles Including their bedding. It was absolutely horrible. EVERYTHING felt "waxy" and you could just see it. They are starting to look more clean. We are changing the pouch daily. They are still cracked quite a bit from what I can tell. One is so bad it almost looks like she has bald spots up by her eyes, but there is fur there. It is just so bad. I can't wait to get to the vet in the morning to make sure they are ok for the most part.
quote:
Origin
ally posted by Omis n Kais g-ma

I'm so glad you have them now. Was their pouch pretty dirty too? That can also affect the fur as well as a crummy diet.
quote:
Originally posted by Off10h8ed

Food, Diet
May 22 2013
02:03:47 PM
Tigerlily88 Face Hugger Visit Tigerlily88's Photo Album KY, USA 842 Posts
Bless their little hearts, that's just so sad. The "gumminess" should start to go away pretty quickly with clean living conditions, especially because they should hopefully start having more energy to groom themselves and get back to normal. The fur color and cracking will right itself soon enough. Good luck with them at the vet, hope everything comes out well for a fresh start.
Food, Diet
May 22 2013
04:27:40 PM
These are the best pictures I can get right now. They are not very trusting yet.

Pictures
May 22 2013
06:00:00 PM
Lola03 Super Glider Visit Lola03's Photo Album FL, USA 296 Posts
Mila on a bad diet. Dec then new pic was March for Easter
Food, Diet
May 25 2013
04:47:43 AM
thinkadam Joey Visit thinkadam's Photo Album 19 Posts
This is my rescued glider spice. Dont know why this happened to her.

We had to suck the air out of her joints. Than i had to force feed her baby gasex because she started mouth breathing and it was creating bubbles around her organs for a week. And hand feed her. She is all better and back to her normal self. Still no idea why it happened.
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders