GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wodent wheel sizes
Wodent wheel sizes
Question
May 01 2011
12:48:40 PM
Hey guys!

I'm about to order a wodent wheel online for the fuzzies. What size do you guys think is best? There's a deal online where I can get 2 11" diameter wheels for $25.72. Is that a good deal?

Thanks!
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
12:57:44 PM
misscarl Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit misscarl's Photo Album USA 1169 Posts
although wodent wheels are considered glider safe, they can be dangerous. i am not discouraging you from buying one at all because they are better than a hamster wheel or no wheel at all, but my glider broke her tail because of a wodent wheel and had to have half of it amputated. she had to be seperated for over a month from her family. I just like to give people a heads up when buying wodent wheels in case they dont know it is possible to break tails on them. it has to do with the crossbar on them

like i said, not discouraging you, just giving you a warning in case you hadnt heard about it before. most people never have problems with them. i was just one of the unlucky few,
Question
May 01 2011
12:59:25 PM
tinaa Glider Visit tinaa's Photo Album 61 Posts
What wheel would you recommend?

The only two wheels I've ever heard people recommend on this forum are stealth wheels and wodent wheels.
Information
May 01 2011
01:03:09 PM
Nyerky Face Hugger 661 Posts
Stealth - http://atticworx.com/1Stealth%20Wheels.htm
Custom Cruiser - http://www.customchoicecruiser.com/
TGI - http://www.freewebs.com/glidernursery/wheels.htm

With that said there are many people who still use the wodent wheel there just are some risks to it. So if you want to order a wodent wheel then like Misscarl said it's better than a hamster wheel or no wheel at all. However if you can you should order one of the wheels from above. =)

Edited by - Nyerky on May 01 2011 01:08:10 PM
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
01:45:37 PM
tinaa Glider Visit tinaa's Photo Album 61 Posts
Thanks!

Is there a specific wheel size that works best for sugar gliders?
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
01:55:35 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
11" is a good size for the Wodents. I have both Wodents and a Stealth and honestly, mine still prefer the Wodents for whatever reason. They're rarely in the Stealth. I know some people have kind of negative opinions about the Wodents, but they were created for sugar gliders. I've used Wodents for over 4 years with no issues. I love the trim tracks in them as well. They work way better than the trim tracks for the Stealth. As for your original post, yes, that's a good price. If you do decide to go with the Wodents, I'd recommend getting the axle guard. On this link, it is free for the first one and something like fifteen cents for the second.

https://ssl.perfora.net/secure.exercisewheels.com/Rorderform.html

It's about halfway down the page.
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
02:51:24 PM
Faerie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Faerie's Photo Album 1833 Posts
There are risks with any wheel, just some have more risks than others. The Stealth wheel is my favorite, I have Stealth and Wodent wheels. Cost wise, the Wodent is much more affordable. Just make sure and clean it often.
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
02:56:22 PM
misscarl Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit misscarl's Photo Album USA 1169 Posts
I got a custom cruiser, but my gliders cant seem to figure out how to run in it because it is tougher to spin (it had a bouncing effect that makes the gliders work a little harder to spin it) id recommend a stealth probably.
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
03:05:12 PM
Ikaria Face Hugger Visit Ikaria's Photo Album WI, USA 732 Posts
I have all Stealth wheels. Every single one of my gliders love them. My trio came with a Wodent wheel when I adopted them, it did the job but it's noisy. I wouldn't mind buying the Wodent wheels with the crossbar guards just to have extra wheels, because they are definately a decent price. It's the noise I have to overcome.

Edited by - Ikaria on May 01 2011 03:05:30 PM
Default, miscellaneous
May 01 2011
03:27:36 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
I have 2 WodentWheels..One is larger & double width so they can run together, or drive each other nuts for a while, 'cause they go opposite ways, and my boy likes to play around peeking & poking out of the holes..I do recommend the 5 hole if possible..You can see them easier..and my girl can get a full glide rythym going.
Yes they are noisey, but can be hung upside down, or anchored anywhere, by zip ties..I can still hear them a bit, but I kind of enjoy the sound of them playing at night..It gives me a comfort level.
You must take them apart to clean, because they poo & pee in them on occasion..(reasonably, it is my male)..and they can get stinky.
However, the nail trim track is also able to be soaked & scrubbed w/ a brush!!..It also works on their nails well..I just am sure to check their feet every day, to know when it is time to switch from regular trax to trim trax insert.
You cannot beat the price..That is why I didn't hesitate to get two.
Good luck w/ your search..I'm sure You will find any (safe) wheel very entertaining..and of course, it is much needed exercise for your beebees.
Wodent wheel sizes

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wodent wheel sizes