Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toy Tutorial #3: Foraging Cups
Information
Apr 12 2012
10:03:59 AM
I had this idea for a toy for a while but finally got around to making it and also, tested it for the first time last night.

Here is the end product (with our lovely model, Catwoman, demonstrating its use):

As you can see, it WILL tip over, so when you put in your treats, I would only do a few at first. At least until they learn how to properly get it out. Which of course, is going to force them to go upside down and forage. WORK those muscles, baby! Yeah!

So, if you want a slightly more challenging toy (and for some of your gliders, this will be NO challenge at all), here's what you need to make this toy:

Rexlace
Some Beads
And a Packet of these Ball and Cup party favors:

I found mine at Hobby Lobby. You might be able to find them at Party City, don't forget to check Target, or WalMart, and on occasion, you can get lucky and find them at the Dollar Store!

<b>YOU DO <i>NOT</i> NEED A DRILL FOR THIS!</b>

First of all, remove the string and red "ball". Discard. (Or keep the ball for another toy. You can string that up with beads, if you want.)

See this cup?

Run the Rexlace through the hole and...

...add another.

And another!

If you like the way it's laid out, in other words, if you're like me and you don't want any two of the same colors touching...

...tie it down and knot it. NOTE: you will definitely want to allow for plenty of Rexlace on EITHER side of the "bouquet". This is not unlike tying a flower arrangement for those weddings you might have had to help out with. Only there are plastic cups instead of flowers and you're using Rexlace and not floral tape.

Do the same on the opposite side.

Now using wire cutters/snips OR scissors if prefer, cut but leave plenty of Rexlace to hang off.

Loop Rexlace through the "belt" of the the bouquet and attach beads. I really like matching my beads to the cup but really, anything that makes you happy is fine. Notice how the Rexlace is doubled up. I would not use a single Rexlace beading for this as this is what keeps the bouquet together. And from my experience, only Pony beads are wide enough to allow a double strand of Rexlace through. But if other beads will allow for the lacing, go for it!

At the end of each single Rexlace, attach a "clover" bead, and knot it.

Here you can either add another knot, pony bead and two more clover beads and knot after the clover beads, then attach the C link <i>OR</i>

You can attach the C link, add a knot, pony bead, two more clover beads, then knot at the end of each clover bead.

Whichever is easiest for you to do manually, do that.

Repeat at least 4 times.

You could potentially do 8 if you wish to add more security to this toy, so it doesn't tip...but then that would make it an easier toy for them.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Have fun!

Edited by - RChurch on Apr 12 2012 10:08:41 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
10:09:48 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Thanks, neat idea and very good instructions. Perhaps I'll be able to get the supplies to make that after my current project. I have been wanting a good foraging toy.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
11:28:32 AM
StellaAnLuna Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit StellaAnLuna's Photo Album 1063 Posts
I always love seeing your toy tutorials.:)
I said it before but im going to say it again, I LOVE your toys:)

~Erica~
Information
Apr 12 2012
11:45:56 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
Aw...thanks!

Don't forget to bookmark for easy reference later!
Information
Apr 12 2012
11:47:17 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TJones09</i>
<br />Thanks, neat idea and very good instructions. Perhaps I'll be able to get the supplies to make that after my current project. I have been wanting a good foraging toy.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What's your current project? (I wanna see! )
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
11:50:23 AM
StellaAnLuna Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit StellaAnLuna's Photo Album 1063 Posts
I am going to book mark all your toy Tutorials, they are all great.:)
I am not creative at all, so your toy Tutorials are helpin me alot.:)

~Erica~
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
08:11:54 PM
marissa1987 Joey Visit marissa1987's Photo Album marissa1987's Journal 27 Posts
interesting
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2012
06:57:19 AM
dancingbeyor Face Hugger Visit dancingbeyor's Photo Album 423 Posts
Cool. I like this. *bookmarks* lol
Information
Apr 13 2012
09:16:49 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I'm looking at your posts and can find only #2 and #3. did you have a #1?
Information
Apr 13 2012
09:49:17 AM
Yep! Right here !

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders