Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wild Sugar Glider in Rehabilatation
Rescue
Nov 11 2012
04:47:13 AM

Hi all, I have been busy with life in general and haven't been around for some time. I now not only run a Wildlife Shelter but have also started working at Healesville Sanctuary our local Australian Wildlife Native Zoo here in Melbourne. Unfortunatly I'm working in retail/admissions but because I care for Wildlife at my home I get to take home many native animals that are brought into the Hospital. This little guys was handed to me yesterday and so far is dong well. Hopefully he will be released back into the wild when he is older and paired up with some others in care. He is the forth this spring with my other three all rescued from Barbed wire fences. One will not be released as he has lost the ability to glide although the Vet doesn't know why.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 11 2012
05:03:43 AM
Glimmer N Clove Glider Visit Glimmer N Clove's Photo Album USA 59 Posts
What an awesome opportunity to be able to help wild suggies....Thank You for helping these little guys out!!
Rescue
Nov 11 2012
06:24:09 AM
bschuettler Face Hugger Visit bschuettler's Photo Album bschuettler's Journal USA 406 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer N Clove

What an awesome opportunity to be able to help wild suggies....Thank You for helping these little guys out!!

I agree! Thank you!!
Rescue
Nov 11 2012
07:27:31 AM
SugarGliderJoy Glider Visit SugarGliderJoy's Photo Album 83 Posts
I agree that is amazing, Thank You!
Rescue
Nov 11 2012
09:43:48 AM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
Oh yeah, your busy time is our slow time. Good luck with the babies Sue.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 11 2012
11:28:21 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
Awe :-)
Hey, I have a question for you.
Do you think breed in captivity gliders can be taken to an indoor/outdoor rehab facility and at some point be happier/healthier transitioning (by choice) to first outdoors, then to wild life? Or would a captive born glider be captive for life?

My son and I want to go to Australia and I've been wondering for several months (and intended to get ahold of the zoo or rehab down there), if bringing my little guys (along with a sizable donation) to get them back to where they should be is something that is even possible (or wise)?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 11 2012
12:18:58 PM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
Wow, he's really dark. He's as dark, if not darker, than my Soleil (whom I secretly suspect is a Black Beauty).

Barbed wire fences sound really awful for a glider to encounter. Thanks for helping the little guy! :]
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 11 2012
12:53:53 PM
okusandman Face Hugger Visit okusandman's Photo Album 870 Posts
He is soooo cute. What a cool job you have.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2012
02:33:15 PM
Jett Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jett's Photo Album Jett's Journal Australia 681 Posts
Hypnotist we have very strict quarantine restriction in Australia so no native animal can leave Australia unless sent by a Zoo or under special conditions and bringing you Sugar Gliders into Australia would be impossible. We have no Rabies in Australia and very few deceases found in other countries. I think we have one of the tightest custom restrictions in the world. So if someone tells you they have Sugar Gliders brought in from Australia then they have either been smuggled or are lying to you. If anyone is coming out to Healesville Sanctuary when they visit Melbourne Australia make sure you let me know. My email is sue@samphier.com
I don't visit Glider Gossip much these days so email is the best way to contact me. I brought home yesterday from the Sanctuary a Swamp Wallaby Joey who is going back today for surgery on its broken leg. We are hoping they can pin it but will know more by the end if the day. Nice when you can bring this type of work home with you!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders