Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hand tamed or not? One first, then another?
Question
Sep 11 2014
02:55:35 AM
As soon as I figure out the right diet, I will be getting some gliders.

Now for the question.

I have the option to get hand tamed babies, or get untamed babies.

If I get a baby that is hand tamed, would the bond not be as strong as it would if I were to bond with an untamed baby?

I was thinking maybe if I was the first person to handle it and bond with it that it would make for a much stronger bond but maybe not?

Also, I was thinking about getting one glider first, and once it's bonded and used to me and I got the hang of it I would get another. I figured maybe this would be easier for a first time glider owner, but being a first time glider owner- I don't know if it would be easy just going ahead and getting two.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
Question
Sep 11 2014
07:27:04 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
First of all....

Are you wanting a joey or an adult glider?

No matter what sugar glider it is they will not be "tame" just because they are hand raised or played with all their life... This can help with the bonding process if they are used to people... But it depends on your glider and you...

They can sense your feelings and it effects their moods...

I have received a non handled glider and it be a perfect baby... on the other hand i have received a "handled" glider and she is the most.... diva-ish... glider i have... she is not content with being on me or anything... We are having a very hard time with her... Also received one that was "handled" and was amazing....

So in the long run i am just explaining.... that you will *Regardless* need to bond and find out more about your glider... Once you bond... It lasts!

So the choice is yours... But dont assume a handled glider is better or a non handled is better... it all depends on the gliders themselves... (and you)
Question
Sep 11 2014
09:11:32 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I agree with Nerdys. Bonding depends greatly on the glider and yourself. They each have their own personality and pace, you just have to get to know them.

As for whether you should get 1 or 2, I will go ahead and say that it is better if you get more than one. This is because gliders are colonial animals and feel more comfortable with other gliders, which in general helps the bonding process. The other reason is because there is always a glider that will be more of a "scout" and more willing to explore, and the shier one will at some point follow its example. If one of them seems to feel safe around you, the other will too (eventually).

Hope this is helpful.
Question
Sep 11 2014
09:21:46 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
Also, I was thinking about getting one glider first, and once it's bonded and used to me and I got the hang of it I would get another. I figured maybe this would be easier for a first time glider owner, but being a first time glider owner- I don't know if it would be easy just going ahead and getting two.

I strongly recommend getting two gliders from the same breeder or owner at the same time.

Getting a second glider at a later date requires a second cage, 30 day quarantine, and careful introductions with no guarantee the two gliders will get along.

The additional cage is an added expense.

In addition, two gliders seem to give each other the confidence to interact with you while a single glider often stays fearful of new surroundings longer than two gliders that have each other to depend on for support.

Gliders are colony animals and need their companions the most at night while they are awake active, playing and eating - which is usually when their human companions are sleeping.
Question
Sep 11 2014
11:01:24 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I made the mistake of thinking the same thing about getting just one. We got just one and we bonded pretty easily. Leela was not handled much or "hand tamed" when we got her as a joey. She is a bit of a diva as well lol but its just her personality shining through.

However, it wasn't long ( maybe a month ) before I started to really worry that she was lonely. It took some more convincing for my boyfriend to understand that she needed a a companion. I spend at least 13 hours a day with her, she sleeps on me all day and a couple hours of play time at night.

The thing is no amount of time I have available to spend with her can replace having another of her own kind to be with her when I am asleep.

In hindsight I wish we had gotten 2 at the same time from the same breeder. We considered it, but He only had one classic grey the other was a mosaic and a bit out of our price range at the time. So needless to say we waited until 1. she absolutely needed a companion ( my first mistake ) 2 we could afford another one.

So our options now are going back to that breeder and getting another joey. Or getting a rescue glider from our local rescue lady. We opted for the rescue Simon who will be coming home with us hopefully next week.

which is awesome and were so excited on one hand, and more worried on the other hand. Leela is a tad possessive of her toys so that is a little concerning. Simon is a 4 year old male who has always had a solitary existence without ever having anything fleece or soft in his cage to sleep in let alone toys. So with Him comes more concern and possible issues. He had some diet issues and some over grooming bald spots from depression when he arrived at the rescue. Sam has gotten him on a good diet and socializing from within his cage with the other gliders. He has even started barking to them At first he just sat and stared at them all.

At any rate we would have avoided all of this had we gotten two initially. But then in the back of my mind I think if we had... Simon would have had a harder time finding a new forever home when He reached the rescue. I had already been in contact with the rescue lady about finding Leela a companion, within a week she had Simon come in and she immediately thought of me. So perhaps it was for the best in my situation, but again if I had it to do all over again I would have gotten two to begin with and saved myself the worry and Leela from being lonely.

Question
Sep 11 2014
05:56:06 PM
AschRose Joey 11 Posts
Thank you so much, Leela, Candy, Rustypossumfart and Nerdy Hails.

I'm not sure what the age will be. I'll be looking at a bunch when I go and will decide from there. So I may end up with two adults or two joeys or one of each. I heard joeys are easier to bond but I feel like from all that I have read that so long as I am persistent and passionate, they will bond either way. Though they all do have their own personalities so one might not be as loving as another.

I will most definitely get two. I actually read something after I posted this about how they will bond better when they have at least one more of their kind with them.

I'm glad you ended up with Simon, Leela. I keep hearing sad stories of older Gliders who haven't gotten the love they need and end up being stuck in a cage the rest of their lives because no one will step up, adopt and try to bond with them.

Bonding with two, will I need to have them in a bonding pouch one at a time or in a bonding pouch together? I think I heard it was better to have them separate but lord knows with all the information out there what is true or not.

Thank you again for your advice! It was very much helpful.

Asch
Question
Sep 12 2014
11:37:23 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy
I strongly recommend getting two gliders from the same breeder or owner at the same time.

Getting a second glider at a later date requires a second cage, 30 day quarantine, and careful introductions with no guarantee the two gliders will get along.

The additional cage is an added expense.

It would be better if you follow Candy's advice. Try to get 2 gliders from the same breeder, if at all possible, that are already bonded to each other. Otherwise, you will need to go through the introduction procedures, for which you will need an extra cage, toys, and pouches. And the gliders will then be alone for 30 days, plush the time it will take for them to be bonded.

Age does matter for gliders. This is in scenario where you are trying to introduce gliders that are not bonded with each. If the age and size varies greatly, when trying to get them to bond, and if they end up fighting, the smaller, younger glider will be the most affected, and could end up badly wounded. On the other, if they are already bonded, it does not matter age or size, since they already get along. Just make sure to neuter all males so they are not pump up with hormones and will show less aggressive.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders