Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My pet expo experience.
My pet expo experience.
Information
Feb 14 2015
05:51:14 PM
I hope it's okay I have this topic as information. but warning it is about the dreaded "glider breeders" that must not be named.

They showed up at the annual pet expo that happens in my city. I knew it. They are always at these things. I'm not going to lie though. When I saw them my heart started racing and I almost went into a panic because of how awful they are. (this time I actually saw way too young joeys being sold.)

I brought my two babies along just incase I found things for their cage. So when I came up to the booth I really couldn't help but to talk to the people who were on the outside of the observing circle. I showed them my gliders in their pouch (never took them out they were too cute sleeping)As well as a before and after picture of my glider that I bought from 'those-who-shall-not-be-named' (shame on me. hence why I am so against people impulse buying now) I showed how bad the pellets were and how horrible my glider was at first because she wasn't used to people. I also told them about my rescue and how much better they do when in pairs.

I had a big guy with a super fat glider (part of the company) trying to tell people that its okay to buy one glider at the time if you give them a lot of time. At which point I had to jump in and tell the people he was talking to that "yes you can get one glider. But they will experience depression from not having a friend. Especially since they are up all night and I doubt you will be up with them the whole time" I upset the guy because they listened to me and after a few words they walked away.

I got 3 or 4 potential buyers to walk away once I told them the "cute chihuahua" barking will go on at night and sometimes all night and will not stop. They are pretty noisy at night.

And then. My biggest success (I think) was I ran into a girl and her parents who just bought a glider and the "started kit" and I educated them on a proper diet and cage and wheel. As well as tell them how they really act. (the mom asked me if they bite! and I was like "um... yeah. they have teeth" and then she was like "do they bite hard enough to draw blood?" and I showed her 2 spots where my girl bite me really hard and she finally realized just because they are small doesn't mean they don't bite)I also told them the proper way to decrease biting (by hissing at them) and I told them why that worked and all. I also advised her to get a new glider as soon as possible but to look for rescues or actual glider breeders because the "breeders" she purchased from really only care about the money.

I just hope I did everything right to help protect these gliders. Or at least keep them from getting sold into houses who would just put them up on craigslist. Have any of you guys run into "those-who-shall-not-be-named" and how did you handle it? is there anything I could do for next year that might help people actually understand what it takes to raise a glider? Should I make pamphlets to hand out or just talk to potential buyers about the proper care of gliders?

I wish I could have stayed all day to get more people to not buy from them... it was heart breaking
Information
Feb 14 2015
07:34:12 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
I wills say Karma was on your side ( I know of this company) and I don't support them. I prevented my wife from buying from them just by chance but we always offer people that purchased from them help and suggestions when they come in after the fact and start asking us questions ( awe always point out they are not that nicely behaved as they show when looking and point out it does take time.

I would love to put together a series of video clips of gliders ( going from the 1st days of out enslavement to them until at least 4 months ( if they bonding great) I love to have a lot of their barking and crabbing to show people)
Information
Feb 14 2015
07:44:37 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
They had very little babies out so when they crabbed it was "cute" to the people who didn't know what it can turn into and what it means. I used my female glider to show what they sound like older. (It was kinda hard though because she knows me. and I couldn't get her to bite me.(sounds mean doesn't it?) she crabbed a few times but once she knew it was me she grabbed my hand and started grooming me)It did make a few people stop and think like "wow! that is loud and pretty intimidating!"

And no they are not! it took me and my female glider a year to get to such a great friendship. (and we still have a lot more bonding to do) A video of how they actually behave would be so cool (especially including all the noises they make!!)
Information
Feb 15 2015
10:17:04 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Good for you! I wish there could be a group of PP protesters at these events to do just as you were doing. At the very lease being there to help with giving good information to those who have already made a purchase. Pamphlets are a great idea, giving good info and siting good websites with 'true' information. PP love to guide people away from any site that doesn't support their sales pitch.
Information
Feb 15 2015
11:58:39 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I am appalled with any mill breeders and their practices. I do know that PP has improved nutrition by branding a better quality pellet and the Glide-r-gravy, but they don't emphasize using the Glide-r-Gravy and ditch the stupid Glide-r-mins sprinkles, which leads me to believe the Glide-r-Gravy wasn't for benefit of the gliders, but to give them another product to sell and they can't admit they've been giving bad advice on the diet and what-not. And..don't even get me started on the heat rock, I wouldn't even use those for the intended market, they're just plain bad for any animal, and those wheels! Not to mention the poor and inadequate information on care, needs and training.

However, as bad as they are, I have to wonder what would happen to all those gliders if they were not able to sell them. I'd hate to imagine it, but what fate would they meet? Could they possibly be euthanized if they couldn't sell them, they certainly wouldn't keep and raise them all. I'm sure the mill breeders wouldn't care what happened to all the breeders and joeys if they were forced out of business. Sadly, with puppy mills and any other imaginable pet out there there is this big, horrible cycle, they're too many, and they are sometimes large operations with too many animals that would need suitable homes to save them all. And yet, under the conditions they're kept in, is undeserving to any animal. With so many animals without homes, how can we break this horrible cycle and save them all? This is something that has to be really taken into consideration and figure a way to lawfully implement ways to put an end to this animal cruelty and neglect, without destroying reputable breeders (for any animal)and allowing for animal lovers to still nurture these animals we take in as not just our pets, but family.
Information
Feb 15 2015
12:42:57 PM
TotesMaGoats Glider Visit TotesMaGoats's Photo Album TotesMaGoats's Journal VA, USA 84 Posts
Well I can say. They are selling small wodent wheels for joeys. And then larger ones for the older gliders.

They are selling different colored wired bird cages. The ones with the sliding doors. Still super small.

And I did not see any heating rocks at all. At least at the show I didnt see them. So I dont think they are pushing that anymore. I could be wrong.

And diet wise they are still selling pellets. But they did away with the vitamin sprinkle stuff. I didnt see and glider gravy but I also did not look at their food section.

They are still using leashes.

And as for the joeys they dont sell I really dont know. I (shame on me) bought my first glider from them. She was larger. And they told me she was 6 months. She did not have a tail. But other than that (and cracked fur) she was healthy. So I would say that the ones they do not sell at one show will be used until they are sold. And my guess is that the females would be used for breeding if they dont get sold.

Its disgusting.
Information
Feb 15 2015
07:24:44 PM
wandwish Joey Visit wandwish's Photo Album 23 Posts
Hi, happy late Valentine's Day!

I'm a little confused, who are these people? I bought my first sugar glider about two months ago and then another one a few weeks ago from some local people who advertised on hoobly. Very caring people too, they text me to check on how their babies are doing.

I've never heard of a sugar glider mill? Why do they use leashes? Also, I have a heating rock and a heating pad in my cage, is the rock a bad idea? They like to sit on it and seem to enjoy it.
Information
Feb 15 2015
09:32:27 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
They are talking about Pocket Pets, it's a well known and very disliked glider "brokers" they get most of their gliders from mill breeders a lot of them are likely to be inbred and have health issues. The information they usually provide isn't the most accurate etc...

I'm not sure why they use leashes they are very unsafe much like the rest of the accessories they suggest you use like heat rocks.

Yes heating rocks and heating pads are a bad idea, they have caused burns and other injuries to gliders.

Gliders can maintain their own body heat and don't need any electric heat source in their cage. If you feel it's to chilly for them you can simply put extra fleece in their pouch or use a space heater in the room, space heaters can dry out the air though so you may also need a humidifier to keep their fur and skin in good condition.
Information
Feb 17 2015
11:41:22 AM
wandwish Joey Visit wandwish's Photo Album 23 Posts
Thank you Leela! I remember you helped me understand my sugars diet!

I took the heating rock and pad out, but they seem to shiver if they're not directly cuddled up together, you think they'll be ok?

I have heard of pocket pets! Before I got my sugars I was looking at information on them and came across their site. I thought it sounded like they were trying to get someone to quickly make up their mind and impulse buy. The part about your pets not eating them sounded way too fishy, an accident could happen too easily. A lot of their info really contradicts with what actual owners have said.
My pet expo experience.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My pet expo experience.