Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Fundraiser
Fundraiser
Question
Feb 27 2015
05:52:00 PM
Hi I am new on here. I have an 1 month male suggie who needs a very expensive surgery if he is to live. I was wondering if I could post his fundraiser n here? Thank you, Missy
Question
Mar 01 2015
01:32:35 PM
gamemakerchick Starting Member 2 Posts
You can start a gofundme account and raise money that way :)
Question
Mar 01 2015
03:30:13 PM
mermissy Starting Member 0 Posts
We have started a gofundme already .... just looking for ways to share it with people who might help. Most peolpe don't "GET" a fund raiser for saving these little babies .... Suggie parents seem to understand wanting to save them best <3
Question
Mar 02 2015
01:14:33 PM
lfr899 Glider Visit lfr899's Photo Album USA 58 Posts
Where are u located? And what kind of surgery does your suggie need? Ive been thru this and it's hard to come up with money ..try care credit..most places will take that as payment...good luck
Question
Mar 02 2015
04:52:57 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
He's 4 weeks OOP and needs to undergo extensive surgery?
Question
Mar 03 2015
12:52:34 PM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
What type of surgery is he needing? That doesnt sound good...
Question
Mar 03 2015
01:26:08 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You are asking total strangers to give you money but you have NOT shared with us exactly what this glider's problem is.

You have not even shared any information about who you are, how you came to have a sick joey that should not have been separated from its parents for another month.

If this is a 4 week old joey - was he born in your home? Are you a breeder, or did you just have two gliders and allowed them to breed? Did you have lineage on the parents? If not, this could possibly be an issue of an internal defect due to inbreeding. Was the joey rejected by its parents? If so, the adult gliders may have recognized that this joey was not going to survive. Sometimes gliders can be smarter than their humans.

What symptoms did he exhibit that caused you to take him to the vet?

What EXACTLY has the vet told you about the need for surgery?

Any type of abdominal surgery is very invasive for a glider. For a 4 week old joey, his size alone makes surviving a major surgery unlikely.

While we are sympathetic and want to save all gliders - sometimes a glider's condition makes it unlikely that there will be a good outcome and unfortunately this sounds like one of those situations.

I could not contribute to a vet fund with out more specific information about the glider's situation.

If this is a joey that was NOT born in your home - perhaps the breeder should not have sold you a sick joey at an age too young to be separated from its parents. The joey should still be nursing and perhaps trying to feed him a diet suited for adult gliders may have contributed to his problems.
Question
Mar 04 2015
12:39:23 PM
So I went on gofundme..wonderful site....can't find u...are u going to give up any info?...remember this is suppose to be about your sugar baby...not u...what gives
Question
Mar 04 2015
01:50:15 PM
So I went on gofundme..wonderful site....can't find u...are u going to give up any info?...remember this is suppose to be about your sugar baby...not u...what gives
Question
Mar 04 2015
03:44:50 PM
Obvious troll from the start. I was just hoping for a nice theatrical saga that could be picked apart so that this Mermissy would think twice before trying it again. Unfortunately, people like this rarely learn.
Question
Mar 28 2015
06:08:05 AM
So im not exactly sure if people will get notifications that I replied to this or not but I just checked my emails and saw people had replied so its worth a shot anyway. I had my mother originally make the post for me and she was probably using speech text or had an accidental auto correct or something to say he was a month old because I dont know how that happened. He was not 1 month old anyway. I would have made the post myself but I was busy working double shifts trying to come up with as much money as I could as fast as I could so I could drive my wahlly from northern utah to oklahoma to one of the top suggie vets in the nation to save his life and she was trying to help me however she could by making this post for me. So sorry to all of you that she didnt get it completely right and that with my very sick suggie, I was never able to check back. he ended up not being a candidate for that surgery anyway, but if he was, there would have been one more option to save him. Since he wasnt, there was only one other option for another, more expensive, surgery that our local vet could do, but if that didnt work, there would be no plan b after that. The entire story is at our go fund me at www.gofundme.com/SaveWahlly. But thanks for spreading all the love guys im sure that will get you very far in life. Karma #128156; heaven forbid you are ever in a bind qhere you have shelled out almost 2 grand on your babies and reach out for help and are ahort on time and funds to save one of them.
Question
Mar 28 2015
10:12:13 AM
Karma...we've seen all sides of it I'm sure. And for this reason that is why one is very skeptical. Once burned twice shy. You still haven't given an explanation here of what type of condition and what type of surgery was needed. It is to the benefit of the entire glider community to be able to learn of these things in order to spread the education.
Question
Mar 28 2015
10:32:45 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
None of us like to see an animal suffering. But seriously if you have spent more than 5 minutes online you must be aware that there are many scammers out there who are complete opportunists and profit greatly from people who are soft hearted.

What better way than to come to a forum loaded with glider lovers.... Offer misinformation, no back story, and no link to your fundraiser. How much help did you truly expect to get from complete strangers?

I have been a member here since last june, I have posted questions got advice and give advice to many. I have made a few online friends here and spent countless hours participating in discussions, researching information for people to lazy to do it themselves, answering the same questions repeatedly because people just won't go read a thread 3 posts down from their own post with the same damn question as what they are asking... like their going to get some different answer.

Not long ago I came across two gliders that needed a better home in a hurry. I came on here and expressed my concern about their current small cage and unsafe wheel, not asking for anything other than advice and a little reassurance if we went ahead and bought these gliders. I already have a pair of gliders but did not have an adequate spare cage and wheel which concerned me that it would take a few weeks to get the needed new supplies.

I got great advice and a lot of support and kind words, and a member that lives relatively local to me (Blue Nostalgic) offered to loan me her spare cage and wheel in the event that we got these new gliders. She then extended that offer of a loan to a full trade for one of my coconuthuts. I was blown away from the kindness and selflessness of someone I had not yet met in person. We did make that trade and got a chance to meet Blue in person I think we were both happy and excited about our trade and getting to meet each other. We didn't end up getting the new pair as their owners went back up north with very short notice but now I have a spare cage and wheel thanks to Blue so if I am ever in that position again I have what I need.

The point of all this is, if I hadn't spent the time participating on this forum and sharing information back and forth, that kind offer probably wouldn't have happened. It would have been suggested that I don't buy the gliders until I have what was needed to house them properly. At least that is what I would have suggested to someone that I didn't know in the same position I found myself in.

This is a very kind, compassionate, caring, dedicated group of people, but they are not ones to be taken advantage of by brand new members to the forum begging for money.

Coming here the way you did is very trollish. Had you approached this differently you may have found a very valuable support system, instead you alienated yourself. That is NOT our doing, that was your doing. We all want to help gliders and people trying to do whats best for them, we don't however blindly hand out money to unknown people posting insufficient details to their problem. It's not that we are unsympathetic, were just not unsuspecting marks.

Question
Mar 28 2015
10:36:43 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
They have raised 10$ of the $1300 asking for

quote:
Hello, my name is Missy, and I'm the lucky momma to three lovely little sugar gliders. I got my first little baby is June of 2014 and it has been a fun, but tough road full of trial and error and lots and lots of learning. My first suggie, Mark Wahlberg (or Wahlly for short) started self mutilating one night at the beginning of September. I checked on him in the evening when I heard him making a strange noise and found him in his room on the side of his cage, tummy covered in blood. I was terrified. I took him to the emergency vet 45 minutes away where he was diagnosed with a UTI and started on antibiotics. Then I took him again on Monday to my local vet where I was told he had just gotten worse, but they fashioned him an e-collar and gave him pain meds and different antibiotics. After 2 months with weekly check ups, and getting him a big brother and big sister to play with, his condition continued to deteriorate. My local vet said there was nothing more they could do as scar tissue had all but closed off his cloaca and suggested euthanasia. I was determined this was not the only option for my little guy. My mother and I took him to another vet out of town with more experience with exotics and he put him under anesthesia to examine him. He found that his scent glands were extremely infected and impacted (likely a result of his genetics and possibly the original cause of the self mutilating) and were so swollen that he was having a really hard time defecating. He suggested a sacectomy(?), or a removal of his scent glands. This was on the Monday before Thanksgiving and we had the emergency surgery on the day before the holiday. He wouldn't have been able to make it very much longer, and we also had him neutered since I had gotten the other female sugar glider shortly before to avoid having any babies in the future :) Things seemed okay for about a month and a half, however, he just couldn't seem to get rid of the infection, and he stayed swollen in the cloacal area and he had little appetite and was so skinny and underweight. At this point he had been in the e-collar for 3 months. On January 15 our local vet put him on a new antibiotic and it finally seemed to be working. His swelling started to go down and he started eating even more than his chubby brother and sister! But then, about three weeks after the antibiotics he started looking swollen again in his cloacal area. We took him back to the vet on the 24th of February and found that scar tissue had closed off his urethra completely. At this point he needs either a perineal urethrostomy or a prepucial ablation to save his life. Unfortunately, I can't get either done around here. There is one of the top sugar glider vets in the nation in Oklahoma that I would like to drive to as soon as I possibly can (or fly, if Wahlly's bladder can handle the pressure) who can perform the surgery and has the equipment to do so. I have already spent at least $1500 just on vet bills in a little over the first six months for my little Wahlly and I want to continue to do what I can for the little guy but Oklahoma is a long way from northern Utah and I'm kind of maxed out right now... I'm trying to raise funds to cover the cost of the trip to get us both out there and back and whatever the cost of the surgery and medications are going to be. We would be forever grateful for any amount that you could spare! Prayers are always needed and sharing is appreciated too! I can promise you I always have given to others when I've been in a position to do so, and I will continue to give to others when I'm in a position to do so in the future. Pay it forward, always
Question
Mar 28 2015
01:39:59 PM
Its also just as easy to move past a post rqther than write rude comments. The entire story was on the gofundme site and still is which I noted above if anyone cares to read it. Someone also copied and pasted it. All my mother posted for me qas asking if I could post the link and sorry that we had a lot going on at the time and I was juggling a lot of things and never got back to checking this which I wasnt even fully aware of since I hadnt been the one who posted it. I see both sides of it. I just think its just as easy to not say anything at all if the only thing you have to say is to accuse someone of "trolling" or whatever, qhich is insulting to me as ive done so much to try and save that little animal of mine when honestly im sure many of you would have said * it, put him to sleep. Ive had glider owners tell me that in more words. Dont be so quick to judge and dont say anything if you have nothing nice to say. And thats all I have in response to this.
Question
Mar 28 2015
09:14:55 PM
Honestly, the kindest thing you could do for Him is to put him down if you couldn't afford the treatment for an IMMEDIATE solution to his medical troubles. You may not want to hear it, but really who would. No one wants to give up on their babies but sometimes it's what is best.

It's quite selfish to prolong his suffering, to make yourself feel better for trying to go to these great lengths to save him without knowing if he will even pull through it or have any quality of life if he does.

While I do applaud you for exhausting all options to save him to the best of your ability, and you obviously care a great deal about him. You are making this more about you and your efforts, and other peoples "rudeness" than you are about the glider in need. I think we all know the stress and worry when one of our gliders aren't doing well and thriving, however we also know our limitations. It sounds like you have exceeded your limitations and your glider is now suffering, in my opinion that is just wrong.

To me, that is the saddest part of this episode, NOT strangers being "rude" by wanting to know more information before parting with their cash. Which you likely would have gotten if you simply had supplied more information like requested. You are not the first to come here seeking financial help, and you likely won't be the last.

This is a public forum, obviously, and many folks including myself had not posted until you provided the link to the gofundme page and your defensive response to others questioning you and your motives. I had the same questions when I read the original request as the others had, and saw no reason to repeat the same request for info. You maybe insulted, but what good is that doing you or your glider??

Share the back story, share your experience, Maybe just Maybe it will help someone else dealing with a similar issue or the same issue in the future! THAT is what this forum is about! It will get you a whole lot farther than portraying the martyr.

This is the internet, people judge when the don't have the whole story! Just like you are judging everyone here as a group

Question
Mar 29 2015
01:09:33 PM
Well thanks for your input.
Fundraiser

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Fundraiser