GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Over grooming? :(
Health related
May 21 2015
11:22:10 AM
Hello suggie friends!
Cosmo and Nova seem to be the happiest and healthiest of gliders, they love to play with and without me, they have a regular schedule, and they eat their HPW and fruits and veggies very well. I get them out every day to give them treats and lovins and then I play with them at night as much as possible. But, I have noticed a long bald spot on one of Cosmos "wings" (yes I'm aware they are not wings but now you know where it is lol)
He has always had a small spot there, which is why we got Nova, (he also used to do stress circles but stopped when we got Nova) but recently it looks longer. He hasn't broken the skin or anything and the vet didn't find anything wrong with him, so I am not sure what else I can do for my poor baby.

I should mention that Cosmo came from a pet store. Next to Nova, our mosaic ring rail girl with full lineage from TPG, it is clear that he does not have the best genetics. He has tiny ears and a tiny gimpy tail and is much less energetic. Could that have something to do with it? Is there anything else I can do for my sweet baby boy?

Health related
May 21 2015
05:57:45 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Awe, Cosmo and Nova sound real sweet and loads of fun.

It could be related to or partly to genetics, but I don't know if that could be said for sure. It sounds like he may just have himself a bad habit. As long as you do your best to keep him stimulated, changing out toys regularly and out of cage play in a routine of sorts, this could help possibly some.

I have a girl named Lulu who has been my high maintenance glider, and over grooms. From being super frightened and guarded, pouch protective & whole cage protective actually to being possibly a highly stressed glider, she reminds me of a busy body neighbor who peeks out window or door with every sound outside. She's come a long way, but I notice when I stick to a solid routine she improves slightly, and when things gets disrupted she seems to intensify the over grooming again.
Health related
May 25 2015
02:34:00 PM
cosmos_mommy Glider Visit cosmos_mommy's Photo Album WV, USA 60 Posts
They are amazing we're so lucky to have them.
Thank you for your reply. I will buy some new toys and switch them out and keep them on a schedule. I hope it doesn't get any worse. But that makes me feel much better, I'm always worried that I'm doing something wrong. My boyfriend says I'm paranoid and overprotective, but they are my delicate little babies!!! Lol
Health related
May 25 2015
10:44:20 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I have trouble with my Simon over grooming. Just when I think I've narrowed down why, it happens again so I keep checking things off the list.

One thing to consider for yours is, he may not be doing it all himself. I have caught Leela aggressively grooming Simon's problem areas behind his head. So sometimes I know he didn't do but she did. Just something to watch for...
Health related
May 26 2015
05:22:05 PM
Smash0196 Glider Visit Smash0196's Photo Album Smash0196's Journal Canada 123 Posts
Petrie's leg stump started to look a little over groomed a few days ago and I thought it was because he was bored or maybe Lola was over grooming him. It turns out because his leg no longer exists at the back, he sometimes drags the stump on things... Like the sandy tunnel. The sand paper like feel to it was chafing his poor little stub. Since I've removed it and given it to the fully functional, four legs included sugar gliders, the fur seems to be growing back/ not getting worse.
I guess my question is perhaps you have something that he's rubbing on in the cage?
Health related
May 26 2015
09:15:22 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
What type of wheel do you have?

If you happen to have a Wodent Wheel it could be the problem and should be removed from the cage immediately. The Wodent Wheel's center axle can get very sticky for glider pee & poo and can pull glider fur out or even catch the fur on the tail and cause a severe tail injury or worse.

Health related
May 27 2015
01:31:02 PM
I do not use a wodent wheel. They have a stealth wheel.
Health related
May 27 2015
01:35:12 PM
I don't think he is rubbing it on anything, it's pretty obviously from grooming. It very well could be Nova, though. I'll keep an eye on them!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders