Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider Safe Plants
Glider Safe Plants
Question
May 26 2015
03:52:08 AM
Okay so after some hours of searching, I am now more discombobulated than ever for what plants to get my sugar gliders. Some places are saying one plant is toxic, some sites are saying they aren't...
The only one they all seem to agree on is eucalyptus, which I can't have because of it's toxicity to cats... Which I also have.
Depending on the price/size/lifespan of the plant will be my deciding factor on keeping it in their cage, or in their play area. I don't mind cleaning up a mess or throwing out a 5$ plant
I was hoping for a list or ideas for keeping plants that are non toxic to sugar gliders (Roots/leaves/seeds and all)
I will also take offers for herbs that have quick growth turn arounds for them too.
Anyone know of a magical plant that matched any of this?
Question
May 26 2015
08:07:08 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Here is the list I refer to. Most palms are safe, Dracaenas are safe, orchids, most herbs, christmas cactus are safe.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090201050133/http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/ce/king/PoisPlant/SAFE-COM.htm

Hope it helps.
Question
May 26 2015
09:42:32 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'm not sure I would put an entire plant in the cage, the plant itself may be safe but the commercial soil is probably NOT safe. It's suggested that when you buy a plant to use the flowers for gliders to not feed them the flowers for at least 6 months for the chemicals in the soil ( I think, I read that somewhere recently)

If you are just trying to add enrichment to their cage you can use sugar cane and cork wood rounds for them to climb on and play in, they are both glider safe with no soil to worry about Many folks also make "mock trees" for their gliders to play on out of fleece and mesh and such....

Sometimes the conflicting info isn't really conflicting, but rather only a part of the plant is safe, like the flower, and the stalk/leaves/roots are NOT safe On the same plant. So some people deem the whole thing unsafe when specific parts are just fine. You do need to research to see what parts are safe though.

This is the site I mostly use for edible and safe plants and trees. http://www.glidernursery.com/glider-garden.html
Question
May 26 2015
05:14:32 PM
Smash0196 Glider Visit Smash0196's Photo Album Smash0196's Journal Canada 123 Posts
I won't have an issue finding soils, I have a lot of gardening friends who have their own by means of compost. I found a website last night that lists a few that are entirely safe :) There's more than I thought.
My plan is to buy two or three different kinds and alternate them week after week, giving them time to recuperate from glider abuse and giving them something else to rip apart lol

I want to give them the plants because I am not home throughout the week, and my mom does not take much interest in changing things out for them, unless it's a toy or two and food dishes.
Question
May 27 2015
12:28:34 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I was under the impression Honeysuckle was a safe flower. I didn't see it on the list though. I'll do another search as I just picked some from outside the yard at the school where I work. I know the owner doesn't use pesticides.

Never mind, I just saw them on the edible flower list, flowers good, berries not.

Edited by - TJones09 on May 27 2015 12:31:10 PM
Question
May 27 2015
12:30:56 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Honeysuckle is safe, but can sometimes be confused with carolina jasmine which is NOT safe. How they are confused is beyond me they look nothing alike to me...
Question
May 27 2015
12:34:06 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Honeysuckle has a distinct fragrance as well, I'm not sure what that other smells like. The kids at my school have been eating them everyday, lol. Today I decided to pluck some for my little brats.
Question
May 27 2015
09:07:59 PM
Smash0196 Glider Visit Smash0196's Photo Album Smash0196's Journal Canada 123 Posts
I'm on mobile right now so I don't have the link, but I found a really good list to start off of. From there, I'm going through other safe lists to see if they have any contradictions or areas of the plant that may not be safe (ex. flowers safe= roots not) It's been super helpful with it. I might get a eucalyptus plant for them while they're at the zoo with me in the Summer, no cats in there:) But I first have to check to see if it has any effects on hedge hogs if they are in the vicinity of it, like a cat:P My coworkers and I keep all of our pets in one of the buildings at the back of the classroom... Don't want to hurt anyone else's pets.
Glider Safe Plants

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider Safe Plants