Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tall cage or long cage?
Tall cage or long cage?
Question
Dec 31 2015
09:41:18 PM
Which cage is best in your opinions? I'm leaning more towards the long cage. I'd love your input. Buying one in a couple weeks. Thanks

Question
Dec 31 2015
10:05:20 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
I would actually lean more towards the tall cage. Height is always better In my opinion.
Question
Dec 31 2015
10:21:17 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I have had both types of cages. Both are great for gliders.

The double wide cage is great for its space but you will need to fill the gap between the bottom grates when the divider is removed. I used a section of clear plastic 1 inch tubing from the plumbing department at Lowe's. Squeeze the tubing to stick it between the bottom grates - it expands and stays in place very well.

The double wide cage limits where you can locate the cage if you want to be able to take it outside for cleaning. Its length made it impossible for me to move it from the living room into the bedrooms because it would not make the turn to go down the hallway. If I had assembled it in the bedroom I would not have been able to take it out of the room.

The tall cage maneuvers easily out bedroom doors and down the hall to be taken out side for hose down cleanings. The tall cage also takes up half the space in the room - so you may need to consider your available space. You will not need all of the shelves shown in the tall cage and gliders do not nee ramps.

Question
Jan 01 2016
02:24:26 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I think either one would be loved by your gliders.
so, I think, its what's best for you.

I made a 7x9 play room with lots of fleece ropes on celling and they spend most of their time at bottom half during playtime.
Question
Jan 01 2016
03:25:10 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Both are great gliderwise ;) Personaly, I would lean more toward the tall one to leave more space in the room for out of cage time, but that really depends on your setup.

@ BYK_Chainsaw : That's a nice playroom!
Here they also used to spend quite some time at the bottom half of the space available in the room, but this changed when I added some solid vines on the upper half. Gliders can't really jump from fleece items because it doesnt offer enough rigidity (they can only climb, run and jump to them), so they prefer play with toys (which are near the floor level) instead, a flew fleece ropes are nice climbing toys though.
one question, the mesh sems quite wide, don't they pass through it?

Edited by - sjusovare on Jan 01 2016 03:28:19 AM
Question
Jan 01 2016
07:52:19 AM
Sweepea Joey Visit Sweepea's Photo Album 42 Posts
That is a neat idea. We're in the works of getting our room updated furniture wise once the old couch is out (yes I have a loveseat in my bedroom lol) and get our closet set up for all our shoes and clothes (my man has more of both than me) we won't have little spaces they can go for us to loose them in here. I do take them out and let them run on me a little every day but I mostly have them out of cage in there sack sleeping hanging out next to me. They are not fully bonded to me yet but somehow within one month my year old female who's previous owner was scared to touch her because of her bites barley nibbles me she nibbles then licks and when I put my hand in her cage she comes to it now instead of running away. This is only from putting close by and or in cage with my boyfriends and my sent on it and from spending there sleep time on me next to me or in bonding bag with me. My other one is 5 to 6 months old or oop and was never really a biter I'm his first and last owner owner.
Okay sorry lol

About the cages see I was thinking length because floor space plus top space for more toys hammocks etc. Plus I'd think they could jump glide etc. around more. Cage price difference tall is $100 less than the long so I'd have the other $100 for toys new cage set or whatever because they only have one cage set and most I've seen that I like are over $50
I know how to sew them myself but my sewing machines in storage three hours away. I could buy a new one but I have a new one in storage jeeez okay went on enough lol
Question
Jan 01 2016
08:06:25 AM

Last night I read a thread on here about how wodent wheels are not safe for gliders and that they don't actually run they jump. Mine hove the 12" wodent wheel with the new glider gaurd on it so the inner pice can't hurt them. They are in it almost every minute they are awake only thing I hate is there's no where for the pee to go so it stays in there and gets all over them as well. Hate that :-( its a pain to clean also but if I don't once a week it smells horrible. So I am thinking about buying the raptor wheel what do you gals think about the wheels? These are the pics of where the peace goes and then the gaurd itself
Thanks

Question
Jan 01 2016
09:28:46 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
I have the stealth wheel, but the custom choice cruiser ones are great!
Question
Jan 01 2016
12:45:11 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
WODENT wheels are NOT safe...even with the insert. Gliders have been injured and killed on Wodent wheels.

They can get their patagiums caught and ripped by the cotter pin on the front of the wheel. They can injure their backs trying to jump and glide in that wheel. Gliders do not run like a hamster or rat with a flat footed gait.

Raptor or the Stealth wheel are safe.

as a side note. The manufacturer of the Wodent wheel, Transoniq does not even recommend this wheel for gliders and states on their own FAQ page that if gliders use them they need to use it one at a time and under supervision. My gliders run on their wheel together and off and on all night long with out supervision.
Question
Jan 01 2016
12:49:24 PM

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Jan 01 2016 12:50:27 PM
Question
Jan 01 2016
12:53:22 PM
For cages the tall Congo is great or the Double critter nation small animal cage by midwest is an awesome cage and very convertible. You can add a section to the top to make a triple stack or get two and assemble them side by side. They are very sturdy, easy to clean and decorate.

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/critter-nation-small-animal-cage-double-unit/650232/
Question
Jan 01 2016
03:22:23 PM
I cannot believe I researched so much about safe toys food etc and just went off a sugar glider wheel search without doing reasearch. Sucks having to spend another $50 on a wheel. Oh well my fault. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.
Maybe I should go with the tall cage so I can better afford the new wheel and stuff for the cage.
Again thank you for all your help ladies
Question
Jan 01 2016
03:27:26 PM
Don't toss the wodent wheel though! Most people turn them into ball pits for their suggies.
They turn the wheel on its side and put Pom poms in it with strips of fleece, straws, plastic army men, barrel of monkeys, etc. It looks pretty cool when it done actually!
Question
Jan 01 2016
03:52:48 PM
I have a extra track for it I could clean it up put the new track on it and list it on craigslist if nothing else. Thanks hun :-)
Question
Jan 01 2016
05:02:56 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:

@ BYK_Chainsaw : That's a nice playroom!
Here they also used to spend quite some time at the bottom half of the space available in the room, but this changed when I added some solid vines on the upper half. Gliders can't really jump from fleece items because it doesnt offer enough rigidity (they can only climb, run and jump to them), so they prefer play with toys (which are near the floor level) instead, a flew fleece ropes are nice climbing toys though.
one question, the mesh sems quite wide, don't they pass through it?

The 1/2 inch mesh was ALOT more money, like 200 to 300% more, that is 3/4 inch mesh. they are on the mesh a good amount of time but have never tried to get thru, their heads are to big. We are also in the room with them during playtime.
Question
Jan 02 2016
12:20:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sweepea

I have a extra track for it I could clean it up put the new track on it and list it on craigslist if nothing else. Thanks hun :-)

If you do try to re-sell the wodent wheel...make sure it is sold for a rat and not sugar gliders. It could risk someone elses pets life.
Question
Jan 02 2016
10:26:27 AM
Well I understand that that's why I'm selling it so it doesn't cost a gliders life. I wouldn't do that.
Question
Jan 02 2016
10:48:29 AM
Not trying to sound rude.
Question
Jan 02 2016
07:54:43 PM
BabyGirl Face Hugger Visit BabyGirl's Photo Album BabyGirl's Journal USA 576 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Minnesota Zoo

For cages the tall Congo is great or the Double critter nation small animal cage by midwest is an awesome cage and very convertible. You can add a section to the top to make a triple stack or get two and assemble them side by side. They are very sturdy, easy to clean and decorate.

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/critter-nation-small-animal-cage-double-unit/650232/

Question regarding the double critter nation cage: Is the pan solid? I would think that might be difficult to keep food and feces off the gliders feet? The excel cage I have now has a wire top mesh cover and a removable tray under it. But I'm looking to purchase another cage as this one is starting to rust from areas where the paint chipped :(
Question
Jan 02 2016
08:15:01 PM
No critter and ferret nation cages do not have wire above the pan.
Question
Jan 03 2016
11:17:07 PM
You can modify the cage so it has a drop pan. You take the shelf theat goes in the middle section(you dont want it in the cage for gliders). You zip tie it to the frame underneath the cage to make a shelf to slide the drop pan on.
Question
Jan 05 2016
04:39:36 PM
BabyGirl Face Hugger Visit BabyGirl's Photo Album BabyGirl's Journal USA 576 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Minnesota Zoo

You can modify the cage so it has a drop pan. You take the shelf theat goes in the middle section(you dont want it in the cage for gliders). You zip tie it to the frame underneath the cage to make a shelf to slide the drop pan on.

This would be a great idea! I've been checking out different cages, and really love that this has a large door, and would be easier for me to clean. But I worry that I might make it harder for the gliders to adjust to a smaller size? The excel cage I have now is a 30x30x52. It's really hard to clean, barely fits through the doorways, and my being only 5'2 makes it a challenge to change their pouches and feed them. I actually use a step stool to put their food in every night! Lol. While these two are aged a bit, they still move quite a bit around the cage.
Question
Jan 06 2016
03:38:09 AM
I love the dcn cages because they are easy to change up. I built 2 triple high cages and connected them so they are double wide.

I do need a chair or step stool(or my 6'7" hubby) to clean and decorate. The cage barely clears my ceiling fans and has to be cleaned in place. I use a steamer for deep cleans about once a month.I wipe it weekly with a hot water,vinegar and eucalyptus oil mixture.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Jan 06 2016 03:39:12 AM
Question
Jan 24 2016
04:57:29 PM
I got my new cage new wheel and today made a few new toys!!
My babies are doing very well and both super sweet. Still working on bonding but that never ends lol. Hope everyone is doing well.

Question
Jan 24 2016
09:17:11 PM
Carlena Joey Visit Carlena's Photo Album 31 Posts
I am SO glad I read this....I think the wheel I have is totally wrong, it has a tubular piece in the middle....well while they are healing from their neuter I better be shopping for the correct one....I was told to take it out for 10-14 days so they don't overdo it after surgery....

I really like your cage!!
Tall cage or long cage?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tall cage or long cage?