Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Making toys
Making toys
Question
Aug 24 2016
01:07:38 PM
Where do you guys buy your supplies when making your own toys? Are the parts all purchased online or in stores? I would love to learn how to make glider toys but I'm having a bit of a hard time to find parts... if I do find parts then I'm not 100% sure if they are safe. I do have the list of items that are glider safe / not safe.
Question
Aug 24 2016
01:46:22 PM
georgefr Starting Member USA 9 Posts
Just speaking for myself, I find a lot of great toys at the dollar tree/store/general.
The majority of the toys are plastic so its easy to clean and doesn't retain any smell, I make sure there a no moving parts and any holes are either way too small or large enough for the glider to get thru.
I bought a small watering can the other day and hung it in the cage with those baby "C" clips you can find almost any where. My babies will find treats in there. I also bought a little plastic 2 draw "chest", it may be about 2"x4", I put treats and food in the draws and they have to work to get it out.
Think about buying for a baby, non toxic, no moving parts or holes where they could get something trapped.
Anyone will tell you no matter what you buy make sure you check it regularly for cracks, defects etc. Also the first time you use it monitor the glider.
As long as you follow the few basic common sense rules you are only limited by your imagination.
Question
Aug 24 2016
03:04:36 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1087545901302639/ toy part supplier, the sell stuff for glider toys and bird toys if your unsure ask them if the item is glider safe they are very nice and helpful

https://www.facebook.com/groups/679553108798221/ This is a great diy toy making group, lotsssssssss of information, resources and links for supplies
Question
Aug 24 2016
03:49:43 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Question
Aug 24 2016
04:47:24 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
The Sugar Glider Store, toy parts!
Question
Aug 24 2016
05:28:57 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
You can buy many basic supplies at nearby stores such as the Dollar type stores as well as craft/party, toy and seasonal isles in department stores or even in craft stores (those can be a bit pricey, but some finds are pretty awesome).

Supplies (basics) to look for for toy making at the above mentioned:
-craft lace
-pony beads & some other fancy shaped beads
-silk flowers and leaves without wire
-plastic Easter eggs, all sizes but I prefer the smaller ones
-plastic bracelets, round, flower & heart shapes
-plastic shot glasses
-straws (use with or without pencil sharpener for spiral effect)
-cover lids for tooth brushes or even those covers on pencil sharpeners
-Really, any plastics such as bowls, plates, cups, baskets, boomerang, flying rings and various containers can be used as bases for swings/play pens/toy bins/ball pits. I suggest doing a google search on sugar glider toys to get ideas of what to look for.

Check out toy or bird sections in stores as well to find items you can embellish or modify for your gliders

I also like using these little rings you can find in sewing sections or stores. I also save some smaller, plastic hanger things from purchased items.

Here are some photos of some of the things I've made for my gliders, starting with the earliest working up to later ones.
Basket, weaved with fleece

Some bird toys I embellished with craft lace, beads & fleece

Using bracelet, straws, and Easter eggs

Some I made for my "Secret Garden" theme collection (you can see the plastic rings I get from sewing stores/isles I use for hangers) using silk flowers, Easter Eggs, beads and craft lace.

Using fleece, cut into long strips and making braided vines is also a great toy.

C-links, plastic chain and some other baubles and supplies that you may not find in local stores can be found a various vendor sites that sell toy making supplies and also bird toy making supply stores online.

Enjoy! I find toy making fun and relaxing.

Edited by - TJones09 on Aug 24 2016 05:43:44 PM
Question
Aug 25 2016
07:31:30 AM
Josianne Starting Member Canada 6 Posts
Thanks for the great links Leela - some of that stuff is super adorable and I love that Noahs ark and novelty website!

I really appreciate all the suggestions, I honestly never thought the Dollar Store would have items that could work for this, lol. Now that I know, a trip there is in order! I've been shopping around for items but boy, shipping to Canada really adds up and I find myself missing out on some great little toys and cage sets. There is one item in particular that I will be making, a little fleece trampoline. I saw a no sew tutorial posted and it looks so easy, I can't wait to give it a try. :D

I love the toys you've made! They are super adorable and I can see that your craftsmanship improves each time you make a new one. As for the straws, they seem simple enough. It looks like it was cut and curl?

I took a look at the bird toy section when we purchased a cage for the gliders. Though it seems like I'll need to do more research because I didn't know what was safe/unsafe. Some of the toys seemed really fun for them - perhaps I could purchase the toy and make adjustments as suggested :).
Question
Aug 25 2016
10:52:04 AM
The drinking straws can be curled with a pencil sharpener... howeverrrrr another member here from canada tried to do them last year and the straws kept crumbling and not curling. I think straws made in canada are made differently than the ones we use here. So I curled some for her and she sent me some bunny hangers in trade lol it cost me like 24.00 to ship 2$ worth of straws to her
Question
Aug 27 2016
10:42:59 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We got some stuff from dollar store. small trash can the gliders sleep in.
we got some rings and hooks from online.
And my favorite foraging cups from Walmart. the little blue shopping bag in shopkins. think its $5 for the pack with the most cups.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Aug 27 2016 10:44:53 AM
Question
Aug 27 2016
01:26:35 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
BYK, I haven't been able to find those small trashcans, but I am still looking.

One of my girls loves to sleep in any tiny box I can find. I save all my 1 lb butter boxes for her, but right now she is sleeping in a box that is 6"x3"x1- 3/4". Her cage mate sometimes crawls in there with her and I can hear them scratching around every so often. He likes his fleece pouch better, but I guess he sometimes gets lonesome when she moves out.

I would like to find a trashcan, because the cardboard boxes have to be thrown out after 2 or 3 days.
Question
Aug 27 2016
02:02:06 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Check out CVS & Dollar General stores, they sometimes have the little trash cans, I've seen them at both of those stores as well. I think I actually got a little trash can at one of those stores years ago and I use it for a snack container.
Making toys

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Making toys