GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Which Diet Plan?? HELP??
Which Diet Plan?? HELP??
Food, Diet
Nov 18 2016
10:43:37 AM
Hi!

We have had our baby for about a month or so and I really want to make sure we pick a good diet for him. Sadly, we have been only feeding him a slice of apple, stage 2 chicken baby food, and a little bit of yogurt. Sometimes we will give him bits of a boiled egg and he loves it but I think its time we start him on a good diet. I was looking at the BML diet but there are so many! Which do you suggest for my baby?? On a side note, he has not grown much since we got him and I'm concerned that its because hes not getting the proper nutrition.
Food, Diet
Nov 18 2016
01:17:10 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I hear lots of people use the BML diet and its very good.
I use and like Ohpw/critterlove plus.
Food, Diet
Nov 18 2016
01:43:29 PM
Demow Starting Member 2 Posts
There are dozens of popular diets out there, HPW and Leadbeaters variations being a couple of the most popular. But there are MANY different diets that will both please your sugar glider and keep him happy. One of the most important things to know is your little guy needs a staple (HPW, Leadbeaters, Critterlove Plus are a few examples), fresh fruits and veggies and vitamins and calcium supplements every day. He should also get an additional protein source, such as egg, yogurt, chicken or turkey, a few times per week. Some people say give 1 TBSP staple, 1 TBSP fresh fruit and 1 TBSP fresh vegetable each day, plus supplements. However, I have been lately reading from wise sources that vegetable portion should be larger than fruit portion. I have put my sugar glider on the following daily diet: 1 TBSP Wholesome Balance ordered from sugar-gliders.com, 1 TSP vanilla flavored yogurt with Blueberry Fortifier ordered from sugar-gliders.com (contains calcium and vitamins), and 2 tablespoons of a salad recipe found here: critterlove.com/salad-mixtures. I like the salad recipe because it offers my little guy LOTS of variety each day, so he can pick and choose what he likes, as well as what he feels he needs each day. Just know that I cut the recipe quantity down to 1/4 size and it still fills a very large tupperware. Also, make sure any yogurt you feed him doesn't contain aspartame... very harmful to them. Good luck!
Food, Diet
Nov 18 2016
02:43:20 PM
chelseacreature Joey USA 19 Posts
My babies love the ohpw/critter love plus diet. I recently switched them to it and they are are crazy about it.
Food, Diet
Nov 18 2016
04:52:09 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
If you're feeding a diet such as Bml, Tpg, one of the Hpw's they have all the protein gliders need already in them, there is no reason to give them extra except for maybe on cheat nights where they aren't getting the staple part.

Giving them extra proteins while feeding a diet with protein already in it is drastically increasing the protein intake, and changes the amount of vitamins and minerals so they will likely be getting far more OR far less than they need. It will also increase their iron intake which can be very hard on their internal organs. I know it seems like it's not a big deal, but it is.

The diets have feeding instructions for a reason, the fruits and veg, portion size of the staple and of the fruits and veg are all specific to that diet and should be followed as it's written for that diet.

Using one diet ( lets say bml ) but following fruit and veg listed for another diet ( lets critter love hpw fruits n veg salads ) DOESN'T WORK. The fruit and veg listed for bml help keep the over all diet balanced. Meaning they get the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals ( including protein and calcium ) from every part of the diet INCLUDING the fruit n veg.

If the recipe says feed 1 Tablespoon fruit and 1 Tablespoon veg PER glider, then that's what you should be feeding them.

Demow, your feeding a pellet diet with fruits n veg n a protein...... I'm not sure who your wise sources are, but I'd keep researching and fact checking. People post their opinions a lot but that doesn't mean they are wise or even knowledgeable about the topic they have opinions on.

Maeganw, some gliders really don't "gain" weight or seem to grow until their body is ready to, no matter what diet you feed. If your glider is a joey he/she may not fill out or have a big growth spurt till they are closer to a year old. Keep track of his or her weight every now n then though, get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams so you can keep track of the growth. I had a female that stayed at like 65 grams for months, then all the sudden she was at 90 grams when she hit a year old.

Diets are controversial, and confusing especially for new owners. If you have specific questions about the diet I'd be happy to give you contact information to the diet creator, questions are best answered by the creator of the diet they know it better than anyone else.

Which Diet Plan?? HELP??

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Which Diet Plan?? HELP??