Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering
Neutering
Health related
May 03 2017
08:09:37 PM
I want to get my glider neutered. But I'm a little scared of the risks that can happen like chewing. Is there anything I can do stop him from doing that? I want to head prepred as I can be before I take him to the vet.
Health related
May 03 2017
09:29:38 PM
Blossom15 Starting Member Blossom15's Journal 6 Posts
Hey as a Veterinary Technician I high recommended you do a consult at a vet before neutering him and they can answer all your questions you may have.
hope this helps little
Health related
May 03 2017
09:38:03 PM
Coreymycat Joey Visit Coreymycat's Photo Album 36 Posts
I did talk to the vet but I was hoping that someone here who actually owns a sugar glider and have dealt with after care. I talked to him about those little jackets that some people put on their gliders or if there is a collar you can get them? All the vets that see gliders are two and half hours away. I already took him there yesterday.
Health related
May 03 2017
09:59:18 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I neutered Finn back in September. My vet used glue instead of stitches. My little monster licked it off so he got stitches. He would pick on them, but I would stop him. I would do this by using my hand to prevent him from getting to the wound and make a taste sound. Yes, he did bite me very hard once. After the first day he stopped picking on it and it successfully healed.

I also neutered Aang a month or two ago. He was a gem. No complications at all.

Don't be scared about it. As long as you have an experienced vet you should be fine. As Blossom15 said you can ask the vet questions. They are very nice, helpful, and are more than happy to answer questions.
Health related
May 03 2017
11:42:01 PM
wildfire0135 Joey Visit wildfire0135's Photo Album 20 Posts
Stitch got neutered about a month, maybe a month and a half ago. We had no complications. The vet had put a little spot of the glue they use for their wounds on his hand to keep him distracted while it healed. They told me if I saw any redness on his hand, let them know.

He was such a good little sport.
Health related
May 04 2017
08:24:50 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I took two of my boys to the vet to get neutered. They offered some type of laser treatment for after the surgery. All I know is they told me it would help with the pain and help heal faster so I paid for it. They were sent home with 5 syringes of meloxicam also known as Mobic,and we didn't have any trouble. It was probably more traumatic for me than for them. Good luck :)
Health related
May 04 2017
08:40:28 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Things you can ask your vet...

1 What method of neutering do they perform ? Traditional pom on ( sometimes they will do traditional pom off but you may have to request it ) or Lazer pom off.

2 Do they send any pain meds home after the procedure?

3 Do they have glider e collars in the event the glider needs one? E collars are a better option than e jackets for neuters.

IF not you may want to get the supplies and make one so you have it on hand if you should need it. For neuters and tail injuries the best e collar is the shot glass style, the directions and supplies are on the link below.

They are easy to make but can be difficult to put on especially if it's your first time. Somewhere I have a video of how to put it on easily if I find it I will post it. http://gliderhealth.com/slfmutl/ecollar.html

If you DO need to use an e collar ( for any reason not just neuters ) There are some after care while the glider is in the e collar.

Like making food and water accessible to the glider with the e collar on for this we use bird water silo's for their liquid staple and water the silo fits in the cone so the glider can eat on it's own. The pouch needs to be accessible to the glider with the cone on, we suggest using Open Environment pouches for this instead of traditional sleep pouches. Clean the inside of the cone with cute tips and water because it will get messy. You may also need to "groom" the glider from the neck back because it won't be able to self clean, just use a damp paper towel or tea towel to groom them.

If you have any questions about any of these items please ask, I'd be happy to post links and or pics for each item.

Neuters aren't as risky as they once were, vets have more experience with them now a days. The risk is higher for older males ( 9 yrs and up ) because of the anesthesia, not the actual procedure. However having said that, it's always wise to be prepared in advance. The procedure itself only takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Usually the glider is back to it's normal self the same day or the next day.

Personally I prefer the lazer pom off, this method heals faster with less chance of complications. But really that is just my personal preference

Edited by - Leela on May 04 2017 08:46:01 AM
Health related
May 04 2017
08:03:42 PM
Coreymycat Joey Visit Coreymycat's Photo Album 36 Posts
I asked the vet what kind of procedure they do they said they recommend laser surgery and I had heard that was the best so I'm going with that. And he said that he doesn't like to put anything on the incision because of them licking it off so he just leaves it be and let's it heal on their own. I also asked about the jackets and the collars and they also said they don't like using the jackets. I asked how long they had been seeing gliders and they said that some vets 10 years and others up to 30. I am going to get him neutered at barberton vet clinic in Ohio.
Neutering

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering