Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
HELP! Does this even make sense?
Question
Jul 27 2017
05:39:31 AM
I recently was given a free 1 year old sugar glider. I had a large cage i bought from her and she told me "whats the point in a cage without the glider?" She was seperated from 4 other gliders.
Mocha (the glider) is over a year old and ive had her for 9 days now, and have used a bonding pouch a few times. My problem is, she doesnt seem to hate ME. She just hates my hands. Everyones hands.
If you stick your finger near her while shes sleeping, shes less likely to try and bite and im able to pet her. If i pet her too long, sometimes she will turn her head to try and bite, but she does this slowly. When shes awake and running around her cage, she will chase me in the cage. Like id go to the left side of the cage, she would latch on to the bars on the left side. If im at the bottom, she goes to the bottom, and if its on the top, she will latch onto the top bars, ect. If i stick my hands close enough for her to be able to grab and bite my fingers, SHE WILL. Sometimes she draws blood, not too badly though. But it sure hurts a lot. I put on 2 cloth gloves and stuck my hand in her cage,she went crazy and started biting all the tips of my fingers to the point where she bit me hard enough that one time i didnt even feel the glove. If i put my face by her cage, she doesnt care. She just looks at me then hops around. If i stand in front of it so she can see me from my head to my knees, SHE WILL GO TO WHERE MY HANDS MEET MY SIDES AND TRY TO BITE THEM THROUGH THE CAGE.
This one time my boyfriend tried to get her to go into the bonding pouch, but she just crawled on top of it and tried to get around to the bottom to bite his fingers. He put the pouch with her on it on my bed because hes an idiot who doesnt realize we dont really have a way of getting her in the cage other than picking her up, which she doesnt like, and honestly, neither do we at the moment. Mocha crawled past my waist, over my legs, and to my hand and just FRICKIN BIT IT AGAIN!!!
Also, I can hold a treat in my hands at night and she will gently eat it and i can pet her.

What is this biting thing?
Question
Jul 27 2017
08:19:20 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
If you haven't had her very long then it is all normal. She is scared and needs time to get used to you and your scent and your voice and her new home. She needs time to adjust.

When she bites, hiss at her to let her know you don't like it. Also, when you pick her up, if you use a spare pouch or a square of fleece she will be more comfortable. Many gliders don't like to be picked up with a bare hand.
Question
Jul 28 2017
04:29:17 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
1. I agree with first reply, give glider some time and space.

2. to grab the glider if possible.
make a fist (harder for them to bite) come in LOWER then their head.
give your glider a chance to sniff your hand. After some time has passed, if she is not trying to bite you, see if you can get her to step on your hand for a treat.... yogurt drops good, dried mealworms better, live mealworms best! But have live mealworm on small plate or cap. gliders can get so excited about live mealworms they can grab so fast and get your finger.

3. Keep up trying to get glider to get on your fist or arm (with it lower then your gliders head) with a treat in front of them. Even then some gliders are REAL resistant to get on our arm/hand, specially with bare skin.
Question
Jul 28 2017
05:24:47 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

1. I agree with first reply, give glider some time and space.

2. to grab the glider if possible.
make a fist (harder for them to bite) come in LOWER then their head.
give your glider a chance to sniff your hand. After some time has passed, if she is not trying to bite you, see if you can get her to step on your hand for a treat.... yogurt drops good, dried mealworms better, live mealworms best! But have live mealworm on small plate or cap. gliders can get so excited about live mealworms they can grab so fast and get your finger.

3. Keep up trying to get glider to get on your fist or arm (with it lower then your gliders head) with a treat in front of them. Even then some gliders are REAL resistant to get on our arm/hand, specially with bare skin.

2. to grab the glider if possible. ... I meant to say. "don't grab the glider if possible."

also.. we take sleeping pouch with sleeping glider (new ones) into bathroom (glider safe) and let them out of pouch to run around us..without us grabbing at all.. maybe a quick pet if they are ok with it. Let them run around room for awhile run on us if they like. let them be, let them explore. after 30 to 60 minutes show them pouch, with usually get RIGHT back in it, then carry back to cage.
I grab some gliders, I let some walk on me by themselves, other are still not bonded yet.

gizmo, sophie, gus I grab. Link, jasmine, riggs, I let walk on me. Mary, scarface and pig pen still need work with bonding.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion