Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing a new glider/breeding
Question
Oct 08 2017
08:09:41 AM
I've had a glider since January, and it's unclear how old he was, I'd say about 8 to 10 weeks? I got him from a girl who didn't want him anymore, so instead of letting her neglect him, I took him in. He's a good boy! His name is Outlaw, and once he got out of the biting and crabbing phase, he's been so sweet! I walk around the house with him on my shoulder and he loves it.

I'm here because there is a herp expo in town and I really want to get him a friend. The problem is, another male is out of the question because Outlaw is not neutered, so a female has to be my choice, and I know breeding will happen.

So a few questions for introducing them/breeding them, I want my own little colony lol.

1. After the suggested 8 weeks with mama, do I have to separate the new gliders to another cage, and if so, for good or for how long? Can they ever live all together in the huge cage I have?

2. Inbreeding? If I want to continue breeding my suggies, do I have to keep buying more to breed with my females to make sure Outlaw doesn't breed with his daughters, or brothers with their sisters?

3. Any special nutrients for pregnant glider or joeys?

any other general information for beginner breeders would be greatly appreciated!
Question
Oct 09 2017
01:58:07 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
You can get a male. Many people have had two unneutered males together. There may be a higher chance of problems, but it's definitely possible. It's not guaranteed the glider you get will get along with your male regardless of gender. Females, I personally think are the easiest, but that's only when breeding isn't involved. I would recommend neutering your male no matter what gender friend you get him.

Neutering can help with dominance and territorial problems. That's not guaranteed, but it is a huge possibility.

It make a huge difference when it comes to smell!

Most importantly breeding is a pain and it's potentially dangerous. They can have one to two joeys every six months. If you get a female the father might try and breed with her when she's older, unless you separate or neuter the father. If you get a male he might fight with the father when he's older and mate with his mother. If you don't neuter or separate than you will have a problems with incest.

It's difficult managing multiple cages. After a while they will stop getting along and you'll only be able to socialize one cage at a time (Happened to me at least). It gets over whelming fast.

If you are anything like me, it'll be impossible to sell any. You'll get attached. On top of that there are already many homeless and neglect gliders out there. Do you want to add to that?

Mating can be dangerous for the female especially if it gets rough. You must be prepared for the chance of injuries.

The female will need extra protein and nutrients. Some diets will have special instructions for the mother who is carrying joeys. If conditions aren't properly met the mother may reject or eat her baby.

Once you do the whole introduction process, and they get along, the female will be able to live with the male for the rest of their lives. Separation would only be necessary if they aren't getting along, an injury happened, or if the male isn't neutered and you need to prevent further breeding while you get your male neutered.

What do you mean buy more to keep from inbreeding? Sorry I just don't understand that question.

My brother had two females and ran out and got a free male. Bell, Rose, and Jack. Once they had Finn I was the one who got them. Through complications I now have two cages. One I take care of and one my sister takes care of. I have Bell, Finn, Quinn, and Ty (RIP). Sis has Rose, Jack (RIP), Aang, Kiwii, and Tiny. This all happened in a year and a half. All of them except the two who passed away are neutered. I had territorial problems, mating problems, dominance problems, all of the problems and stresses wouldn't have happened if we got Jack neutered.

Maybe do a bit more research and plan a head before breeding. Find a vet and a place to neuter. Even if you don't need it now, it's good to know your options before they are needed. Just a thought :)

Edited by - lilsistar on Oct 09 2017 02:01:22 AM
Question
Oct 09 2017
04:16:46 AM
Cashmere Joey Visit Cashmere's Photo Album 20 Posts
Hi,

I've bred my own colony and here's my advice based on my experience:
Before you breed them, please check on lineage as you do not want any inbreeding occurring.

1) You do not have to separate the family until the joeys are matured enough to breed. You have to separate the females from males unless you plan to neuter the males. I neuter my males so they are now living together as a family without any problems or worries.

2) You do not have to buy more as long as you keep the parents (Outlaw & the female) together, separated from the first joeys.. You'll have to keep separating them unless you neuter the males.

3) Pregnant mummies need extra protein and nutrients so make sure she has plenty of that.

Unless you want to breed them for sale and not as pets, I wouldn't recommend further breeding.. My max was twice and then my males were neutered. I have 4 females and 2 males now. Two at a time.. Do consider before you start breeding your babies.. :)
Question
Oct 09 2017
08:23:32 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
neither gender is out of the question if you get him neutered, which would be the most responsible thing to do.

If you don't know his lineage, or that of any new potential females lineage it's not recommended to breed even if it's just for yourself. You have no idea if the gliders are related or not. Most people assume that if they get a glider from 2 separate places they definately aren't related... that isn't a guarantee that they aren't related at all. I can get a glider in fla, and a glider from Wisconsin and they can end up being related same as you can get a glider from your friend and a glider from the expo and have them be related.

If you want to breed, buy a breeding pair that has lineage. Actually a breeding pair that have already produced (with lineage) is really the most ideal way to start. The odds of issues with first time parents are pretty high as it is, getting a proven pair reduces the risk of issues.

1. males AND females need separated from the parents no later than 3- 4 months old to prevent inbreeding and breeding to young. The male offspring will also need separated from females for the same reason. The only way to keep them together is the neuter DAD and all the male offspring.

2 if you want to continue breeding, the offspring need separated and neutered as suggested above then continue to allow the mom n dad to breed. There is no need to keep getting males to breed with the female and we don't recommended splitting up bonded pairs unless they are having issues or fighting.

3 depends on what diet you feed. If your not using a well known, nutritionally balanced diet they need to be on one. For breeding gliders on bml it's suggested to give the breeding pair extra bml while Mom is nursing the joeys and continue to after the joeys come out of pouch. This way the joey portion is already on the plate when mom n dad start teaching the joey to eat real food and wean them from nursing. Mom gets what she needs while nursing and joeys have a portion on the plate when done nursing.

It's NOT just protein they need extra of, they need extra of all the vitamins n minerals just like a pregnant n nursing human. Only upping protein isn't enough.

They can have UP TO 4 joeys at a time. It's not that common to get 4, usually it's 1, 2 or 3 but it CAN happen.

General information for new breeders...... research , research, research, here's a great group to start in https://www.facebook.com/groups/breeding101/ . Get a joey rejection kit, be prepared in advance for rejection and possible cannibalism. Have extra cages and supplies. Save up for neuters.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/joey-help another great place to educate yourself on breeding and rejected joeys etc...

Edited by - Leela on Oct 09 2017 08:33:52 AM
Question
Nov 12 2017
03:54:09 PM
Opal2017 Starting Member 2 Posts
We purchased a glider about a year ago. He seemed quiet and wasn't bonding as well as I thought he should. I researched and figured he was lonely. We adopted two females from a rescue. At least that is what we thought. Now we realize it was a pair and now she is pregnant. The two males get along but the female screams at the neutered male (he is in a cage next to the pair). We have been swapping the smells and pouches for a month now. Can we put all three in the same cage or how long should we wait? Is the screaming normal? The boys get along.
Question
Jan 12 2018
12:32:21 PM
freeglider Starting Member 4 Posts
Opal I would say you should be able to put them together what kind of screaming is it do you have any videos of the scream

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders