Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail clipping
Nail clipping
Health related
Nov 01 2017
06:20:13 PM
I have watched numerous videos about nail clipping and it looks so easy. It isn't easy for us! Our gliders are really fidgety and will not sit still for us to do it. We finally gave us and took them to our vet (since we never had a check up)and she even had a hard time (she called herself the SugarGlider whisper) HA Ha!

I had them in the tent shortly after and it appears that she didn't clip Explorers nails enough as she still gets caught in the netting.

Athena was so nervous (she is the tamest)
Explorer glided off the table (she earns her name)
Serena was the biter (usually nibbles at me but never bites like she was)

Based upon this information, should I hold the gliders in my hand more? I usually hold them in their pouch.

Also, here is their weight. Is this ok?

Athena (8 mos) 76gms
Serena (4 mos) 71gms
Explorer(4mos) 66 gms

What should I do to get their nails trimmed?
Health related
Nov 01 2017
11:45:48 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

You really just need to PERSON UP.

some of the GOOD videos or the way we do it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2-wCceM-s&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj&index=1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLvUaEUIEUU&index=2&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzWLLCiuGI&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj&index=3

The main idea in the videos is you have to take control of your gliders movement. some of our more crybabies will actually stay still once I have control of them and they figure 1. fighting isn't working 2. I'm not getting hurt.

I still get nipped and sometimes bit slightly hard if I lose control of them, but most have started getting use to it and don't fight it as much.

so step 1.
put glider in a pouch, we use home made ones.

so step 2
Once the glider is calm, maybe give them their favorite treat, get a good hold of them, specially their head so they don't try to bite you threw fleece. You can do this SAFELY and control them from moving WITHOUT HURTING THEM. My wife and I do 12 of them and have never hurt one yet. Picture is an example, now image the glider in a fleece pouch AND you holding it.

so step 3.
Once you have control of the glider, pull out a leg hold it tight, but safely, and let your wife cut the nail. We always do this 2 persons.

Health related
Nov 02 2017
12:00:24 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
fyi, this is a video of how well bonded and very calm gliders get their nails cut, this is NOT how it works for us and most of our glider, ours usually get bothered somewhat during the cutting process and give me what I would call a small no blood nip or a harder NO blood nip, depending on the glider.
We have one new arrival who if I cut his nails this way I would be bleeding from several deep bites!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEx2hzXvAWY

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Nov 02 2017 12:02:15 AM
Health related
Nov 02 2017
01:29:13 AM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2-wCceM-s&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj&index=1

This is the exact same video I decided to model after prior to my first nail clipping venture! I really like this video. He teaches ways to be firm without causing harm, and assures us that some (or ALOT) of crabbing / protest will happen but it's OK. Nail clipping is probably that one time we human really need to exert dominance over the cuties.

My Ellie still needs to be cut this way, but I mostly wrap her up in an open pouch instead of a piece of fleece. She never fail to voice her objections.

IF you are worried about back-setting bond, this is what I do. After all nails are done, I cup her up from the outside and wait till she's all calmed down, I position her in such a way her back is resting against one of my palm, and slowly expose her face. Lastly and most importantly, I bribe her with many many mealworms

with her back resting on my palm, open the top to expose her face

Mealies? Ok, we're friends.

Do note that while my Effie can go through the whole nail clipping in the open, she absolutely hates being cupped up in the pouch. This normally sweet natured girl used to show me temper even after I i released her from the pouch, when I used to cut her nails the same way I do with Ellie. Although it gets the job done, seeing how much she disliked it was why I decided to try cutting her nails in the open, and she's surprisingly okay with it.

So every glider is different. Try to observe what each of them respond negatively to most, and accommodate if possible. All the best

Edited by - Effsan on Nov 02 2017 01:32:29 AM
Health related
Nov 02 2017
08:30:31 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It wasn't easy for anyone at first, even the people in the videos that look so easy. I struggled for about a year with nail trimmings. Here's what I learned.

1 Confidence is key. The more confident you are the calmer the gliders are. If your nervous the gliders are going to be nervous and flighty too. So before you begin, before you even get them out of the cage, calm yourself down. Breathe, be confident. When you or the gliders start getting anxious.......stop and take a break until YOU and the gliders calm down, then begin again. You don't have to get all the nails in one sitting.

2 I can't see their nails real great. I need magnifying glasses and a LED forehead light to be able to see the quick . Since I can't see the nails it made me a nervous wreck and scared I'd clip to far back and hit the quick. Which made my gliders nervous and harder to manage. As soon as I got the glasses and light it was a whole different ball game!!

3 mealie worms are your best friend. They distract the gliders while you trim. Keep their mouths full so they aren't biting you

4 you only need to clip 2 nails on the back feet. The toes that look fused together are their grooming nails and don't need trimmed.

5 it does NOT matter if you are bonded to the glider or not. I've trimmed my own gliders, and gliders I've just met for the first time.

6 Don't try to trim to early in the morning or to late in the evening. You want to trim in the afternoon. In the morning they are still to wide awake, in the evening they are becoming to awake. In the afternoon they are usually the most docile and tired.

This is me trimming Amy. It's how I trim all of my gliders, I'm usually done trimming all 11 gliders in about 15 minutes. Yes it looks easy, yes it really only took a 1 min and 55 seconds to do. No she is not my easiest glider to handle or trim. Will it be this easy for you ? probably not, not at first.

It BECOMES easier the more confident you get. Each nail that gets trimmed is a success even if it takes you 2 days to finish all the nails. The next time you trim you'll get more nails at a sitting and keep building up until eventually you can get them all done in one sitting. It takes time to work up to it but as you do your confidence will grow and so will the gliders confidence IN you.

Nail clipping

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail clipping