GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
feeding crickets / other bugs ?
Food, Diet
Nov 25 2017
10:45:13 PM
hi!
So, I need to buy some more mealworms/ bugs for my sugar gliders because I'm all out. I've heard a lot of different things about bugs and sugar gliders, some say they are an important part of the suggie diet, others say you shouldn't feed because it makes them smell, ( i don't beleive that, I still feed them bugs). Anyway, I know that a lot of people feed mealworms, its like the most popular bug to feed your sugar gliders. I've heard that they can eat crickets, though, so I was just wondering what you guys think about that and if any of you feed your sugar gliders crickets and how they like them.and i was wondering if there were any other bugs sugar gliders can eat/ will like. I'm not cut off from mealworms or anything, I'm just curious and looking to add a little variety:)
Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
12:04:32 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have feed live crickets twice. but have heard there can be issues with
crickets.
I now feed live and dried mealworms, with the love of these from the gliders I don't see much reason to switch around. we do have yogurt drops we feed at times.

We tried a large green worm thingy, but they only half eat it.
Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
03:18:22 AM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
I have heard soldier fly larva is good.
I need to do some more research (or maybe some one else knows more).
I have heard crickets are low in nutritional value
Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
04:24:42 AM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
thewormlady.ca/sugar-gliders.php

Theirs a chat that shows nutritional values down the page
ReptiWorms Is a brand name (?) for the soldier fly as well as Phoenix Worms, NutriGrubs", "Soldier Grubs", "Calciworms", and "BIOgrubs all the same thing
Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
06:48:51 AM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
07:51:58 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
The issue with crickets is aflatoxin., Depending on what kind of bedding is used to raise and keep the crickets.

Avoid corn based bedding. Corn and peanuts can produce a mold that has aflatoxins. Aflatoxocis is deadly to gliders. Just make sure the cricket farmer uses safe bedding, as well as the distributor ( pet store etc )

Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
11:53:35 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
When I did feed crickets, the gliders jumped all over them, they loved them.
I have never had cricket but they sure must taste good to a glider.
Food, Diet
Nov 26 2017
11:40:45 PM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
My gliders LOVE meal worms. I buy live meal worms and freeze them in the freezer, retaining the juicy inside as compared to dried meal worms.

I feed them dubia roaches occasionally too as our vet says it's good for cleaning their teeth. My husband breeds the dubia roaches himself.
Food, Diet
Nov 27 2017
08:24:40 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Some people let their gliders hunt crickets down in the bathtub with the stopper down to prevent escapees. I haven't tried that yet but mine love crickets, I just hand them to them and they crunch away. I've heard crickets are higher in nutrients and lower in fat than mealworms, and that dubia roaches are even better. I don't have the stomach to feed dubias quite yet, but they're supposedly easy to raise, less loud and smelly than crickets, and both more nutritious amd less likely to cause allergies than mealworms. (If you ever decide to start raising mealworms, make sure to wear a dustmask and gloves when handling them or cleaning their enclosure to avoid the frass. Even if you're not initially allergic, repeated exposure heightens the chances of developing an allergic response to them.)
Food, Diet
Nov 28 2017
05:42:06 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Ok thanks, is it still the same if I feed dried crickets? I can just put them in some forage toys and they can be all good, right? :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders