GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Were they fighting?
Were they fighting?
Question
Jan 22 2018
08:06:51 PM
Hi!
Just now, I introduced Comet to Rocky. It wasn’t for the first time, they’ve been introduced when they were asleep, this was the first time they were introduced while awake. In the beginning, there was a little crabbing and sniffing and stuff, nothing too bad. They weren’t being too aggressive, and they were actually barely acknowleging each other. So, I decided to glider proof my ( dry) bath tub and put both Comet and Rocky in there. Things started off fine... but then, Comet sort of “pounced” on Rocky, and soon they were rolling around in a ball, crabbing. Comets mouth was on Rocky’s neck, he could have been biting him, I can’t be sure. I managed to separate them, and when I did rocky was on his two right legs with stomach exposed and mouth open. They might have been fighting, I’m not 100% sure. So.. we’re they fighting? What should I do tommorow night, just the same thing and separate them if they get aggressive? Do I just keep doing this until they stop doing this, and are nice to each other? How do I know if it’s not a “match” and they won’t be able to be in the same cage together? Sorry if I seem whater about this, I tend to be preety paranoid :/
Question
Jan 23 2018
12:30:23 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
sounds like fighting.
sounds like you should do more scent training, lots of pouch swapping and having cages 6 inches apart.

Ours would sniff, maybe get a quick tsk, or crab, or a quick spat. we would separate them if it was a big spat and let them smell each other again. if they spat bad again we would stop the introduction.

you should have done 3-4 weeks of scent training, it is not a race, you want them to accept the others scent as being familiar and NOT an intruder.

good luck.
Question
Jan 23 2018
03:38:51 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Darn. Okay, so should I swap pouches and stuff every night for about a month, and then try again? I will try to try to do the thing with boxing pouches more. Should I try introducing Abel to Rocky right now, or should I wait until Comet and Rocky are friends? By the way, how will I know they are good with each other? How will I know they are incompatible? Thanks for the help!
Question
Jan 23 2018
07:06:46 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Glidingcameron

Darn. Okay, so should I swap pouches and stuff every night for about a month, and then try again? I will try to try to do the thing with boxing pouches more. Should I try introducing Abel to Rocky right now, or should I wait until Comet and Rocky are friends? By the way, how will I know they are good with each other? How will I know they are incompatible? Thanks for the help!

You don't have to swap EVERY night, but I try to do it every few nights, keep the scent fresh.
abel? rocky? or comet?, once they have good scent training then you can try introductions.
If they fight, then introductions fail, separate. Ours would sniff each other in tub, maybe a quick squabble or two, lots of sniffing, maybe some domination (one climbing on another), then finally they went into sleeping bag and feel asleep.
Then we put them in clean, scent free cage. Watch them closely for awhile first few night.
Question
Feb 07 2018
05:49:26 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
For sure fighting. I’ve had to break up two brothers doing that. Once you’ve done the bonding process over again like said in the other comments the next time they meet make sure they are still a little sleepy so it won’t get as aggressive. The noise you want to hear when they decide they like eachother is almost like a snake hiss then a kind of clicking at the end. There’s a video somewhere on this site that has the good noises on it. I had to find it all when I started intros with my new gliders. And once they like eachother you shouldn’t separate them. It’ll cause stress and also put a damper on the new friendship. Pretty sure that’s why our two brothers fight now. They were fine during playtime until we got our separate big cages and housed them differently
Were they fighting?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Were they fighting?