Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction of a new glider
Information
Feb 24 2018
12:11:53 PM
I'm getting a new glider cause my baby is lonely and over grooming. What is the process of introducing them and how long does it take.
Information
Feb 24 2018
05:42:43 PM
Jesselou802 Joey 11 Posts
I haven’t introduced any gliders myself. But people say to swap pouches and fleeces to get them used to each other scent. That’s as far as I know to do. Hope this helps somewhat l. Also keep them separate until you can judge how they’ll receive each other.
Information
Feb 24 2018
07:48:15 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
PLEASE...take the time to read several different introductions instructions.

here is one place.
www.sugarglider.info/care/intros/

www.sugar-gliders.com/glidervet-115.htm

and here

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?IntroducingNewGliders

We have found introductions to be not to difficult, gliders seem to like having roommates alot, BUT we also follow the procedures pretty closely. some major points.

swapping sleeping pouch,
take your time, no need to rush it.
putting cages 6 inches apart after some time swapping pouches
meeting at a NEUTRAL - NON SCENTED - SPACE.
going back together to a NEUTRAL - NON SCENTED CAGE.
one website also stresses that if an introduction is successful, then keep them together in same neutral cage, the sudden loss of their new friend is described as difficult on a single glider.

P.S. I have read from some experienced glider owners that single glider depression is a myth. most, if not all gliders can do fine alone, but they are colony animals and do best with the best happiness in a group (my personal belief.)
We picked up connor a single gliders that lost his cagemate, we have not put him with any other gliders yet, he is healthy active, and getting bonded to me slowly. Has great fur and weight. Vet said he is very healthy. If we don't give him away, we will put him with our colony.

i would take 4-6 weeks of scent training, my wife does it in about 2-3 weeks.
in about 5 introductions we have had one glider not accepted. my wife did 2+2. also 2+1, then 4+2, then 6+2. then 7 + 3 (this was the one failure, as one of the 3 was rejected, chased around cage at night for several nights. so we removed her.)

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 24 2018 07:53:54 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders